1951 Pontiac Chieftain

PhilA

20210323_164417.thumb.jpg.ecfe6b42846de03875a9de8ac6d13371.jpg

Not right now, it's just a little bit* wet outside.

I was previously worried that my fruit trees would be drying out.

20210323_174327.thumb.jpg.8a6e5353fece5c5cf229b1a37987dfec.jpg

Nope.

Stranded in the garage, I decided to tidy up.

20210323_173832.thumb.jpg.bc87d441a01aba4aae0c252402066a50.jpg

Clean workbench is a good thing. I hadn't properly cleaned it since the roof blew off.

Phil

*Noah called

9 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

I thought you replaced that roof a few weeks ago?

The next level down I did, you can just about see the white over the edge of the roof there.

Only replaced the parts that blew away and got totally mangled.

14 minutes ago, PhilA said:

The next level down I did, you can just about see the white over the edge of the roof there.

Only replaced the parts that blew away and got totally mangled.

Ah, yes, I see now you point it out.

Why do they build houses in a hurricane zone out of wood and tin? 

5 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

Ah, yes, I see now you point it out.

Why do they build houses in a hurricane zone out of wood and tin? 

Because brick is prohibitively expensive.

Plus, a tornado will relocate a brick house as easily as a wooden one.

18 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Because brick is prohibitively expensive.

Plus, a tornado will relocate a brick house as easily as a wooden one.

Tornadoes may lift the roof off a brick house (if they are badly built) but they won't do much damage to the structure.

Why are bricks expensive? There must be plenty of clay in the USA?

49 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

Tornadoes may lift the roof off a brick house (if they are badly built) but they won't do much damage to the structure.

Why are bricks expensive? There must be plenty of clay in the USA?

Down here, bricks are expensive. The price varies with his far you have to move them.

I take it you've not seen a brick house demolished by as tornado before?

40 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

No I haven't.

Have you?

Yup.

It's not the wind that does the damage. It's all the junk that it picks up and smashes into things that does. 

The roof was pulled off the house by the wind, then a tree that was uprooted on the next street smashed the front corner off the house and a good portion of the house then collapsed because it lost integrity.

1 hour ago, GeorgeB said:

No I haven't.

Have you?

Yep.

My husband used to live in Iowa City.  They had one come through there while he was there.  Streets were levelled literally three hundred yards from his apartment.  His car didn't even have hail damage...the surgical precision they can hit with is a bit mind boggling.

One memory I have in particular of walking around there (this was a couple of months after the event) was seeing a church... largely intact aside from a corner of the roof.  Except for the huuuuuge hunk of timber which went in through one wall, all the way through and out through the other wall.  Quite a few of the buildings there were (unusually for the US) brick built...they were flattened just as thoroughly as anything else.  When things like gas tankers are getting thrown around like matchsticks it's anyone's guess what survives.

11 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

His car didn't even have hail damage...the surgical precision they can hit with is a bit mind boggling.

Very much so. I've experienced a clear-air vortex- in more arid areas would have been a dust devil; a warm 25+ degree day in the sun, then a sudden rotating breeze that was only a few feet wide, as frigid as opening a full height freezer.

Watching waterspouts is intriguing also. The smallest one I've seen that actually joined to the cloud was maybe a foot wide all the way up, probably 300 feet. It remained stable for about a minute before collapsing inexplicably. 

Quite remarkable things, the larger ones are still pretty powerful even if they don't fully connect- I've got film of being amidst a nascent tornado on my YouTube channel, and the base of one is what ripped the roof off my workshop.

VideoCapture_20210324-091703.thumb.jpg.0462e9b98b04d2fc59b49e1f920ecdd9.jpg

I was watching them starting to form the other day, the hook circulation shown there in green. A little further away the V shape was quite visible of another that didn't quite make it. The dark gray top left to lighter gray bottom right is actually the shear line of the front that came through. 

Phil

16 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Very much so. I've experienced a clear-air vortex- in more arid areas would have been a dust devil; a warm 25+ degree day in the sun, then a sudden rotating breeze that was only a few feet wide, as frigid as opening a full height freezer.

Watching waterspouts is intriguing also. The smallest one I've seen that actually joined to the cloud was maybe a foot wide all the way up, probably 300 feet. It remained stable for about a minute before collapsing inexplicably. 

Quite remarkable things, the larger ones are still pretty powerful even if they don't fully connect- I've got film of being amidst a nascent tornado on my YouTube channel, and the base of one is what ripped the roof off my workshop.

VideoCapture_20210324-091703.thumb.jpg.0462e9b98b04d2fc59b49e1f920ecdd9.jpg

I was watching them starting to form the other day, the hook circulation shown there in green. A little further away the V shape was quite visible of another that didn't quite make it. The dark gray top left to lighter gray bottom right is actually the shear line of the front that came through. 

Phil

Ooh I've not seen a green one before :)

7 hours ago, PhilA said:

20210329_220129.thumb.jpg.a83374f92f90bcaf5a64e11906ae8f46.jpg

I fitted my new gauges. Handy things to know; the vacuum gauge has already proven useful because it was rhythmically bouncing at idle, telling me it's time to look at the valve clearances again.

the tach is hilarious :) surely they make ones for diesels or something that only go up to 4K-5K so most of the gauge is not just sitting there twiddling its thumbs? :) 

48 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

the tach is hilarious :) surely they make ones for diesels or something that only go up to 4K-5K so most of the gauge is not just sitting there twiddling its thumbs? :) 

They do, but I had that one in stock already. It works well enough.

6 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Quite a lot of older boats had a 3500-3700 RPM redline, so 0-4000 tachs are available.

I just didn't want to pay for one.

I wonder can you modify your existing one so at 4K it shows as 8K then you can just make a new backing for the dial to bring it back to 4K if that makes sense?

(sort of like what you did to modify one for 2 Cylinder engines?)

6 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

I wonder can you modify your existing one so at 4K it shows as 8K then you can just make a new backing for the dial to bring it back to 4K if that makes sense?

(sort of like what you did to modify one for 2 Cylinder engines?)

It's 4/6/8 switchable on the back, so setting it to 4 does that.

Taking it apart necessitates un-peening the bezel, taking the needle off, making a new face, putting it all back together. That is a level of arse-ache I am unwilling to expend for a 2" tacho.

I had a thought at work today about the increasingly rough running and it hit me. There's a couple paths the vacuum takes, the other is to the wipers but as they were working I didn't think much of it.

20210401_170231.thumb.jpg.6db03f6a0940c055e973b0ffc2b371f7.jpg

I bypassed the booster pump. 

Result. Couldn't hear it but the booster pump was drawing in from the crankcase. That needs a rebuild, then.

20210401_181747.thumb.jpg.5f62e4be291c23343490c1d4305feb73.jpg

Tested, the car can now burn rubber (with the timing reset and the mixture correct) .

20210401_183303.thumb.jpg.6e4277c4732061781ba8e0e185d77920.jpg

Went for a drive as it's a pretty evening. Very very smooth and it'll pull 15-17 in/Hg at 45 on the flat which is highly respectable, even with that leak I managed 11.9mpg on the last tank so this should only serve to improve that.

Phil