Mondeo hunting

sierraman

Against my better judgement I've decided to put some time and effort into this one to get it really tip top. I'm not necessarily talking spending big money but getting one that's just 'right'. I'm on my sixth Mondeo now so I'm thinking sod it, tidy the edges up over the summer and get it looking really tidy. On the look out for some replacement Sail Panels for the rear quarters and I've ordered some new centre caps as the old ones were fucked.

What a great buy. I love Mondeo Mk1/2s, Mk2s do seem to have disappeared in Gloucestershire recently although I still see them in Devon, where my parents now live.

There are a few Mk1s still going around Cheltenham, I suspect the new tougher MoT this year will be the end for them - the two I most regularly see are very, very tatty with every panel dented and taped up bumpers.

Quite a few 406s still about but I have not seen a Vectra B on the road for a very long time. I guess 406s were made until 2003/4, so that's to be expected.

Cured a slight misfire as well, when you let it settle down to idle it bogged down to about 600rpm then went back up to 900rpm. Cleaned throttle body butterfly out, was starting to crud up a bit. Timing belt done now, so I'm going to see how it goes before a full service end of summer.

Just wish air con worked. The M1 today want a pleasure at all!

Next job is a mammoth rustproofing session. Wire brushed a few loose bits in the usual spots on the seam where the chassis legs sit against the floor, again coat of converter and a coat of red oxide for the moment, at some point I'll get some more black stone chip and coat the affected areas. A lot moan about stone chip but nothing touches it for durability under the car. True eventually rot gets under it but your talking a long long time. The abiding principle of rustproofing is that its an ongoing maintenance program.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this... Decided now were experiencing some half decent weather to crack on with some jobs.

First up was the usual graunching back brakes. Drums felt properly adjusted, a few whacks with the copper mallet had them off only to be greeted with some piss wet through cylinders.

Top tip here, the late Mondeos were fitted with different cylinders, with the cut out at the top, TRW make them, same price etc but worth knowing as the factor will probably supply you with the ones with the cut out at the bottom. Both have the pipe angle at the side. Earlier non diesel types have a straight pipe entry where as later types had brake pipe entries angled toward the rear of the car. Not a lot of people know that.

Cleaned all the shit off and the seals had gone, hopefully causing the noise. The drums were choca with dust but the shoes looked fairly recent Ferodo jobs with plenty of meat on, quick rough up with some emery cloth and they were fine.

Undid the brake pipe and fitted the new cylinder. Bit of copper ease on the back plate pivots, bled it out and another job done. Flexis were slightly perished on the ends but passable. Given how cheap they are I might swap them in the future.

I wrote a bit of a 'buyers guide' for these some time ago. I'll update it in due course given these are becoming shite worthy.

post-5724-0-10432600-1532464154_thumb.jpg

post-5724-0-01840700-1532464196_thumb.jpg

post-5724-0-15184800-1532464234_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Rectified a bit of minor corrosion today, these always go here, the seal traps the moisture and rusts round where the clips hold the trim in. A dab of Loctite rust conveter, then a brush applied coat of some similar enough looking silver paint. Waxoyl to follow here.

Still no luck finding a spares car, I’m holding out for a rusty as fuck Mk2 to strip for spares.

post-5724-0-13350100-1534710960_thumb.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Another one purchased. It’s getting delivered tomorrow morning. 1998 Silver 1.8LX saloon, getting cannibalised for spares. I’ve done this for the sheer reason I’m planning on keeping the Mondeo for a while and parts are starting to get tricky to obtain, not so much mechanical bits but trim etc is difficult to find in the scrapyard as these are getting old now. Gave a bit more than scrap for it, my reasoning will be grab what I can off it then weigh the rest in when the V5 comes back then get most of my money back.