advice needed re commuter car

montytom

A PD TDI is a good commuter, though you have to be careful and get one which has been maintained well. Mine hasn't, and it likes to go into limp mode and throws a fuel pump code randomly. Though it does get 60 mpg on my 120 mile commute and is fast enough to overtake lorries and tractors. Something like an Octavia, Pisshat, or Aldi would be the comfy choice.

Thanks my 75 has been utterly reliable in the nigh on 17000 miles I've driven in it so far.

When I bought the 75 I didn't want to have it to commute to work in so was using my father's mazda 6 diesel (wwhich turned out to be utter poo)

I'm not a fan of celica I'm afraid and if I wanted to go fast to work I'd just take the vitesse.

I really want something economical to run really.

$_86.JPG

https://www.gumtree.com/p/austin/austin-rover-montego/1218770767

£400, diesel, and still MOT'd. No DMF, DPF or EGR FTPs to fret about neither. Just do it mate - we're all rooting for you!

Thanks love Montegos have had 3 myself and my dad has had 4 but the only montegos id buy now are a efi vanden plas or an mg montego turbo.

Thanks again.

I have to wait a few weeks but I definately want to buy a car as I dont want to use my 75 like that just for work. I just need something I wont worry about.

Is there a thread / price for that 147, s-s?

It's a 156 Sportwagon, but admittedly a crap photo. No thread, and scant details, as Mrs S has nicked it off me so I haven't driven it for a few weeks. I shall have a go in it tomorrow and report back. It won't be expensive.

Cheap to run or cheap to buy?

You could get a Merc C220CDI for not too much - a bag will get you a scruff, £1500 gets you something decent. 45mpg, comfy, cruises well. Dull as anything, but for a 60 mile commute it's approximately 2457% better than a Smart car.

I could only dream of anything over 35 to the gallon in my 220 CDI.