advice needed re commuter car

montytom

Nothing french unless you dont actually want to get to work.

depends if you are the sort to jump out of the car like your hair is on fire everytime the MiL comes on or some obscure message appears on the dash.

yet to be left high and dry by a french cheap car

:D

That's the SMOLL CAR I'm commuting in at the moment.  A set of budget tyres and it blats round the lanes well enough to keep me engaged and seems to be maintaining 45MPG despite being driven flat out pretty much everywhere.  It'd be crap for any kind of motorway journey though, or even for faster A roads.

What about an R3 diesel? Decent ride, comfy seats, another Rover, and potential to make it stupidly quick.

Thanks people. I'm not looking to spend much. The less the better. I'm not looking to spend 4 figures.

I was looking at early smart cars as they can be had cheaply.

I'm not a fan of German cars and also I've had a diesel 75 and was not a fan of the engine in the 75 I'm afraid.

I really appreciate everyone's input gives me things to think about. Thanks again Thomas

depends if you are the sort to jump out of the car like your hair is on fire everytime the MiL comes on or some obscure message appears on the dash.

yet to be left high and dry by a french cheap car

:D

I'd like to point out that I'm not Xenophobic in any way, I also think Fords are a pile of steaming tramp poo as well. 

I don't know about jumping out the car when the MiL light comes on as I've never seen one in any of my Jap cars so far, unlike the Pug 406 we had which thought it was Xmas all year (I continued to rag the arse out of it while it wasn't in limp mode as it was a company car)   ;-)

Depends how many miles you are doing, a commute through built up area of a few miles or so something like a Fiesta etc would do. More than that though or involving country lanes/Motorways/A-roads etc forget it. If someone goes into the back of you at any speed, it'll be the pine box for you. Anything near the motorway etc as mentioned above and you want some metal around you.

I'd probably avoid premium German stuff for less than a grand, it'll be rinsed. Suggestion might be a Volvo S40, Peugeot 406, Avensis, or an Octavia. A bit smaller I'd say Focus, Astra or Seat Leon's seem ok. Wouldn't say avoid diesel altogether though, a petrol could be fucked. I'd be more thorough with checking a diesel, chances are if you are spending £7-800, if the DMF is quiet and it starts easy without smoke and it's not cutting out you might be ok.

Mk1 mx5's are one of most reliable and simple to work on mechnically I've owned. sadly the sills and arches just dissolve if you use them in winter. Also the MPG was only just OK.. Great fun though the suspension is pretty tired by now on most examples.

My ZX 1.9td was perfectly fine on my commute, on A, B and M roads. Could either sit with the lorries in L1 chilling out or be flashing audi's out of L3 if I was late.

My 1.4 wasn't bad but we lived closer to work then so I didn't go 13 miles up and down the M40 every day..

Or a Xantia, obv, but that comes with a few worries if you're not that way inclined/work with a top legend of a boss who understands when I phone up after having an FTP on the way into the office

There's a lot of XUD engined stuff from years ago that was very good but finding a 405 or a ZX now that's not either worn out or done 250,000 is difficult. It's same when people recommend stuff like diesel Rover 600s. Where are you going to find one now, chances are it would be worn smooth.

I think if you looked a bit newer although there's the increased chance of something like the injectors etc going wrong it's more likely to be in much better nick. A 406 hdi would be a decent bet.

My inclination is to avoid diesels, but that's just personal preference.  In your shoes (and being an elderly fatboy myself) I'd be buying the biggest Volvo I could lay my grubby paws on.  As mentioned above, on the motorway sections you are going to be a target for the company-Audi brigade, so you want good steel around you.  Old Volvos have an air of invincibility that even reps can see.  I'd also be buying automatic, but how are you seeing those few miles of country lanes?  If you're seeing a rally stage, then perhaps something a size smaller with a manual box; otherwise, go big, go auto, go petrol Volvo.

If you don't want to put too many miles on your Rover 75, the best answer is

a second Rover 75.

They're cheap, reliable, comfortable and economical on the open road.

A reliable and economical Rover 75? You learn something new every day

If it was me, I'd be going for a Renault Safrane - they're the best Renault ever made according to those in the know, and can be had in top conditon for absolute peanuts. £250 will get you a smashing example...

A reliable and economical Rover 75? You learn something new every day

If it was me, I'd be going for a Renault Safrane - they're the best Renault ever made according to those in the know, and can be had in top conditon for absolute peanuts. £250 will get you a smashing example...

Parts will be a bit of a fucker though, but at £250 you'd run it till it blew then get another.

Have you thought of a Mk1 Avenisis Petrol? The 1.8 is good on juice, doesn't go wrong either.

My Xsara Hdi can be had for £250, sure it's the 306's uglier cousin but the dna is shared between them.

Having ridden in a friend's Xsara HDI I was suitability impressed! I was pissed mind.

I do reckon that's going to be your best bet. Cheap to fuel, tax and insure - yet very comfortable. The only reason they're cheap is because they're as desirable as herpies.

Thanks again everyone I really like that smart car. I know I will look stupid driving it but as long as I drive it I dont care. Thanks again Thomas

You're more than welcome to come and like mine with lots of pictures of the Queen in your sky.

Thanks my 75 has been utterly reliable in the nigh on 17000 miles I've driven in it so far.

When I bought the 75 I didn't want to have it to commute to work in so was using my father's mazda 6 diesel (wwhich turned out to be utter poo)

I'm not a fan of celica I'm afraid and if I wanted to go fast to work I'd just take the vitesse.

I really want something economical to run really.