Kia Pride epic shite rescue - times three.

gricer

You're my hero.

My Pride is sound underneath but needs a bonnet, two doors, a tailgate and has a nasty dent on the offside quarter panel. Bloody love them. That van was winking at me but thankfully I was skint at the time!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Nice piece of history that press fleet car....Not to mention the piece of family history it has since become.   Love stories like this, even if the car is not something I would go for its still history and a heartwarming tale.   I had never even seen reference to a van, either!    

• Like 5

I have three original whitewalls. Though as they're about 25 years old, I wouldn't like to go anywhere on them. But yes, both the blue car and the van will be fitted with correct whitewalls in due course, even if I'll probably have to get them done to spec. I'll do it when I need new tyres!

Harold was a top old boy. Managed to back the Pride into his daughter's car as he got it out of the garage for me. He'd dented three panels in between me winning the auction and turning up. I hadn't the heart to ask for a discount, as I liked him and his family greatly. He had a complete history file of the car, including the dealer ad from when he bought it. He's now zipping around his village on a mobility scooter, probably taking the mirrors off parked cars as he goes.

Harold was a top old boy. Managed to back the Pride into his daughter's car as he got it out of the garage for me. He'd dented three panels in between me winning the auction and turning up. I hadn't the heart to ask for a discount, as I liked him and his family greatly. He had a complete history file of the car, including the dealer ad from when he bought it. He's now zipping around his village on a mobility scooter, probably taking the mirrors off parked cars as he goes.

Amazing. You dont come across genuine finds and genuine folk like that every day.

• Like 3

I reckon when you have finished improving that H plate one Kia themselves could be very interested in it for future marketing purposes, as you say it's probably the first imported one into the country.  They strike me as being the sort of company that would have an interest in its roots over here.  I remember Daihatsu paying a lot of money to restore the first ever Daihatsu imported (a 1964 Compagno as I recall).

Carlo - Don't worry - I know Kia UK very well, and they're aware of the car's existence. Hopefully we'll be doing something this year with them.

Beko1987 - Yes, the plan is to have a mint blue car and a mint red van.

This place is what it used to be, you sir are a hero and I am very envious, great story around the oldest pride you must have a great sentimental bond with it, in fact the other 2 have good stories to them

• Like 6

A stupendous thread. I too was unaware of the existence of a Pride van.

I'll my eyes skinned for wheels; are they not just Mazda BF 323 wheels without the hubcaps?

Mr Wollydobbler should get this featured in his magazine wot he edits.

Retro Korean?

Well, sort of. It's a license built 121 so the Retro Japanese link is there.

He could commission a megashite Pride/121 and Penza/323 uberpish feature.

Or buy a Penza and drive it back to South Africa and return with a boot full of biltong and OSF spares.

Great back story on your mega-early Pride, and I love the van as well. As you said, it deserves to be saved and not used as a builder's hack! I wonder just how rare the Mazda 121 it was based on now is? I'll definitely be following this one.

[Regular Car Reviews] HEY I COULD FIT DAT IN THE BAK OF MAH PICK UP TRUCK HURRHURRHGHHHHSNNNNNSHGSS BAK OF MAH PICK UP TRUCK [/Regular Car Reviews]

• Like 2