Collection - another 90s Vauxhall

lisbon_road

I think that it is seeing all the other 90s Vauxhalls on this site that makes me want to sort out this one.

I bought this about ten years ago for my wife.  It was a total write off and had been spotted by a friend who worked in a yard.  It had 29K miles and had been rear ended.

He repaired it and we used it for a few years up to 50K and then sold it to some friends who ran it up to 100K.  When friend repaired it, he reckoned it had been rear ended before.  My wife also stoved in the doors on the nearside which he fixed and we reckon something has happened at the front as the paint isn't right on the bumper.

The friends who ran it didn't have a clue and despite my warnings that it needed water pump and cambelt ignored this so the inevitable happened.

It has been in this garage for a year or so now.

post-17775-0-94102600-1438892822_thumb.jpg

So what is the damage?  The water pump failed, needs water pump, cambelt slipped so needs belt and bent ten valves.  

Various bits I pinched for another car, including rear window wiper motor, water wash pump, clock/display thing and seats.  Have now still got most of those parts.

Also has a puncture and is flilthy.  Not too rusty, some on offside arch but just a lump really.  And a dent in drivers side front wing.  

No, it is only an LS.  That age got the 1.4 DOHC ecotec engine.  This one always drove very well, and I fixed the oil burning by replacing a hose that runs across the top of the engine and had turned to mush.  Guess they all do that.

It isn't bad, but the bodywork isn't perfect. 

As it has ten bent valves, I am thinking of a replacement head from somewhere rather than a complete engine.   You can see where the valves have hit the pistons but there are no holes anyway.  I don't know what I am going to do with this car but these are worth so little that it has to be done on a sensible budget.

I approve (obvs)- the 1.4 is in the cheap tax bracket and they're ace on fuel!

I would also say it may be simpler to just put another head on it- there must be plenty of Corsas and Tigras about to be fragged that can donate the necessary part.  If you do rebuild the duff head, check the valve guides very carefully and the the metal around the hydraulic followers for cracks. 

I don't know where it was registered, but there are a couple of other P-TRF Astras around here including, would you believe it, P248TRF which is identical.  

I've had delivered a cylinder head, gasket set and bolts off ebay for £60.  The head was skimmed and pressure tested and washed.  It all looks ok though (of course) had a hard time in the post and some studs were bent and the head gasket a bit bent.  The studs came out easiy so that is ok.  Looks like they might have taken a fair bit off so I will check the head height - worse case I can always use the valves.

post-17775-0-64224500-1439067970_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well, now her indoors has pranged her Zafira on another thread, I'd better finish this.  She has a courtesy BMW 120d with 700 miles on the clock but I doubt they will let her keep it forever so we may need something else.

So, put the head back and so on.  It is now running ok.  Tappets a bit slow to go quiet but they seem quiet now.  Not much else to say really - got to sort out the interior as I put the seats in another Astra (green one) so I could put the seats out of the green one into my red one now the bronze one doesn't have any so I have to sort some out of a pile of old rubbish.  Easy enough.

Everything always takes longer than I expect, that's the only problem......

It's a shame these are disappearing from our roads now, they were bang centre of the most reliable era of Vauxhalls and cars in general.

As an everyday, every road kind of car they really do take some beating and cost pennies to keep.

• 1 month later...

Now has an MOT.  Took three attempts at the emissions test, but the tester was determined to get it through as he said that the only thing wrong is that it hasn't been used for a year and if he failed it, it would be difficult to know where to start in fixing it.  Loads to advisories, suspension bushes, number plate, brakes at the back not really equal, so I will have plenty to do.  This is mental really........ but it drives well, as it always did.

On the way home, had to stop off and take this daft photo......

post-17775-0-10809000-1449234189_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I have to admit that P248 is rather better than P249.  It's immaculate.  P249 really isn't, partly the history it has had.  Makes a good WBOD though.

The arches can go but on the whole these are tough - I find people in the trade generally speak well of them.  I parked my other one next to a J reg 2 door recently and the owner told me that it was an undercover pursuit police car when new.  That had about 185K on it and about 25 years old.

Well done on getting the Astra back on the road and great shot with it's twin too. Saw a Cavalier with the reg L3**JBM sorry forgot the rest of it in Nuneaton about 3 years ago and mine is L547 JBM both 1.8 hatches though that one was Gold met and mine is Blue met.

There a similar Astra to yours for £195 on Autotrader in Derby a little tatty but with a longish Mot if I had the spare cash I'd be tempted to take a look.

As your said they are really tough cars I've driven a few mostly 2.0 16v Ecotec versions, Sports and Gsi plus a 1.6 sport and gotta say there were all nice cars. 

Remenber someone having a very early 3dr J reg 1.4L Astra in about 2003 sure that was pre cat carb version?