You can sometimes get what you want - Land Rover 90 Now Alvis TA14

anonymous user

and I still haven't had it back.

The firm doing it is highly recommended, but their main business is radiator repair, mainly for commercial plant, so my job keeps going to the back of the queue. I was again promised it for this weekend, but will now give them a call tomorrow. The poor old thing has taken root on the drive now and is getting covered with moss which rolls off the roof of the house.

The Land Rover now has a slightly less worse bracket holding the power steering fluid reservoir on and the steering is back to normalish, as it has now developed a shake in the steering. It was doing it when slowing down from 50ish, I had the wheels rebalanced but that didn't make a difference. I took it to the garage and they thought it was a bit of play in the (new) steering box and adjusted it. Now I have a steering shake if I try to go over 55mph so it's got to go back again. Just about all the stuff on the front has been replaced recently so I'm a bit miffed, especially as I have had to go on the motorway with it recently and need to be doing a bit more than 50mph, both to feel safe and so that I get where I want to go on the same day.

Wobbly-at-speed landroverness can be caused by the bearing preload on the swivels being incorrect; IIRC you've had a swivel replaced so perhaps it wasn't set quite right? The steering damper may also be fritzed.

The Bentley is/was superior 1950s choddery, much win and really ought to be/have been accessorised with slightly frayed cords and a pair of decent brogues.

• 1 month later...

I have been a bit quiet for the last couple of months (just my winter misery). The Land Rover is generally doing everything I need and I will shortly be doing my end of year, good god has it cost that much, totting up of its running costs.

We are only in December and I have already used over 6000 miles in three months, of the 12000 that I told the Ins Co. that I would be doing by next September. I have been doing a lot of running about in it (at 17mpg). One trip a couple of weeks ago was more economical as it did the last 60 miles home on a recovery truck after the fan-belt let go. It took a week to get a new belt (well two belts, as I got a second one as a spare) so I had a hire car for a couple of days and then the garage kindly loaned me their 110 station wagon. Unfortunately I'm going back and forth to West Wales a lot at the moment, which seems to cost me about £60 a time for the round trip just in petrol.

I think it was around this time last year that the Smart died and I decided I could manage with one car; I'm back to thinking I need a second one but something small, cheap and cheap to run,not a bloody Bentley or a Smart. I'll probably wait until the new year when hopefully my head will be out of the shed, or I expect I'll end up buying something stupid.

I am sad that the Bentley has gone but already knew 'cos there was thread on it in a Bentley forum. Much love for the old girl here and I wish I could have afforded it, but one is enough for any man with restricted pocket depth.

I had noticed the C15 van and like it (it can't be any worse than a Maestro Van), the downside on a van is that the tip doesn't allow them in and the Severn Bridge charges more (although I'm sure the saving in fuel on a round trip to Bristol would more than make up for the extra cost on the bridge toll).

There's a few possible contenders on here at the moment that I'm trying to talk myself out of; Rev BJ's BMW compact looks too nice, a bit too posh for me and I'd hate the dogs to wreck the interior. The JohnK/ex hairnet Visa also looks a bargain, but not sure of how much hassle it will be to register or what my insurer would think about it as they have been a bit awkward with the last few oddities.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I did go for the C15 van and am pleased to confirm that it has been very useful so far. Since picking it up a couple of weeks ago it has done over 1000 miles, so already has saved a good proportion of its cost in fuel savings (It seems to be using about a third of the fuel compared to the Land Rover).

It's been back and for to Pembrokeshire a couple of times already, shifting stuff from my sister's house (some straight to the tip and some to the charity shop). It self-repaired yesterday, a sidelamp was out, but on twisting the bulb-holder to check the bulb, it came back on and has worked since; the windscreen washers did stop working which was also an easy fix. The jets were clear, the pump was working and there was fluid in the reservoir. Unfortunately the fluid has gone a bit manky, with bits in it, which had blocked the pump, overfilling the reservoir to flush it, blowing back down the tube and swirling around in the reservoir with a pastry brush (It was the first thing that came to hand that fitted through the filler hole) has restored washers to function, I do need to take the reservoir off and give it a proper clean out.

I can see why there is a great amount of love for these vans on here.

• 1 month later...

I have done something stupid. The C15 has been great and in the 4000 or so miles I've done in it saved me a fortune in fuel. My sister's move is now out of the way so my regular trips down west will be drying up, so my need for a van for shifting and tip runs is more or less over.

I have always quite fancied the C15 campers but if it hadn't been for the thread on here I probably wouldn't have bothered looking. Suffice to say today I went to look at one (a HiLo one) I've done a deal and left a deposit, probably be picking it up at the weekend. The van will have to go soon as I am short of space, I have offered a mate first refusal on it, but not sure if the timing is right for him so look out for it on here.

• 1 year later...

I haven't updated this for quite a while.

Holbeck did have the C15 of many shiters and I got the Romahome

post-3477-0-72196800-1547644541_thumb.jpg

I didn't get on with it and after spending loads on it including storage I sold it on at a loss.

I was quite happy trundling around in the Land Rover but doing over 12000 miles a year in it was quite costly in fuel and maintenance.

I did acquire a MINI Cooper off Station, but didn't drive it much.

post-3477-0-46891400-1547644781_thumb.jpg

That has gone.

I think the TR7 went when I still had the Bentley, I've seen it come up on ebay a couple of times since and now resprayed it is more original* and low mileage* than when I had it.

post-3477-0-98625700-1547644967_thumb.jpg

Last year I was back in work and the Land Rover was off the road for a few weeks, I stupidly bought another one and then sold the red one.

post-3477-0-50432900-1547645096_thumb.jpg

It should suit me, but, despite deolli-ing it since buying it I'm not happy with it, I think it's days are numbered, once I have got it fixed enough so that I will feel that I can sell it.

Now mostly running around in another C15 bought from Chadders.post-3477-0-78988400-1547645325_thumb.jpg

• anonymous user changed the title to You can sometimes get what you want - Land Rover 90 Now Alvis TA14

Again no update for a long time, The red C15 survives with Dean numbers. I killed it slightly driving it across France. It was initially replaced by a Chrysler 300c Hemi I also bought a Berlingo which went to a mate and from him to friends of mine who still have it.

The Chrysler went when I went back to work,to be replaced by a Kia Picanto, currently replaced by a 4x4 Panda. An MX5 has come and gone, as did the VP1500. I wasn't really looking for anything but had been thinking about scratching my Morris Minor Traveller itch. 

Which ended up with me buying the Alvis. I vaguely recall seeing this one for sale years ago. At the time I didn't have the money or anywhere to keep it.b77ec5f8bfc685a43e6d8bf96a520ca100ad9001.thumb.jpg.93d7d201d40008f3c7e518011167ef2e.jpg

It was for sale with a dealer and has obviously had a lot of work done  particularly a new interior. It went to auction last year but didn't sell at the time.

I have had a look on line and found a photo of it from years ago, when it seems to have been owned by a pair of musicians.

553214342_unnamed(1).jpg.3f3c4a2e4ac878a501ca7dd600f7b1f6.jpg

Photo courtesy of the Springer Sister's.

At the time it had no sunroof, a mascot and no running boards.

So far I have been sorting out winter storage, I have no garage and don't want to ruin it leaving it on the drive. It has been out in the rain the last few nights, but doesn't leak too* much.

A few of the electrics weren't working, but this was just dirty fuses, so now the wipers, trafficators and headlamps work. The fuel gauge died today as I think I frightened it by filling it up.

I have taken the lovely beige carpets out of the front and put rubber mats down instead. I have also ordered a handbook/driver's manual from Red Triangle so that I can find all the greasing points.

It was nice today so it has been out for a run down to Lidl and Home Bargains.

I will be looking out for the proper Hare mascot, but in the meantime have fitted one of my own.

20211021_151845.thumb.jpg.da33678fb731f9f531fffc3a57699aa7.jpg

The handbook I ordered yesterday has arrived already so top marks to Red Triangle the Alvis People 

20211022_141326.thumb.jpg.81e3e3f44bdd0849440b77930a3fe2f2.jpg

I have now found how to check the oil, no proper dipstick, but a little sump float with an indicator that you read off the side of the crankcase.

The oli filter is built into the sump so will need to get a gasket before the oil can be changed. Also need to dig out the grease gun for all the greasing points.