You can sometimes get what you want - Land Rover 90 Now Alvis TA14

anonymous user

That steering shake: a colleague with a modern Defender had been driven nuts by steering shake, eventually it turned out to be something to do with the front prop shaft. Exactly what I don't know but he was glad when it was finally fixed.

Front prop could be to with to the way the front and rear halfs of the prop is assembled. On the arse end the UJs are "in phase" ie. lined up with each other. On the front they need to be about 30 degrees out of phase I think it is, which equates to 2 or 3 splines depending what make the prop is. Usually they complain at all speeds though and not just through the steering but it's worth checking. Has it had a new steering damper??

• 2 weeks later...

Had the Land Rover back and the steering is much better, just a shame that on the way home the driver's window fell out of the mechanism into the door. Temporary fix done but it will have to come apart again. Finally finished fitting the radio that I've had ready for the last year, it nearly fits, whether I'll be able to hear it is another matter.

I continue to be entertained by my vehicles, on Saturday I had to bump-start the Land Rover off the drive as the battery was down. It did start later when I put fuel in, but unfortunately after sitting in a car-park in Cardiff for the day all the electricity had leaked back out and the RAC had to jump start it so I could go home. I bump started it off the drive on Sunday to go to the tip and then to try to get a new battery for it. Unfortunately the only place open was Halfords so I now have an expensive battery from there; although it does have a five year guarantee.

The Bentley fuel tank saga continues; after being promised it again for yesterday I was not surprised when it was not ready, but was told it would be done for today. And it was!

I've picked it up and it is a very good job they've done on the tank and the retaining straps, It did end up costing more than twice the price originally quoted, but I'm just glad to have it back. I have ordered some POR15 black, to paint it before it goes back on, as it is currently in red lead.

post-3477-0-98468900-1472650102_thumb.jpg

Those are the old straps next to it, the shiny new ones are in the cab

I have a new fuel sender ready to go in, plus a new filler hose, drain plug, fixing bolts. Unfortunately I shall be working Thurs/Fri/Sat so won't now get a chance to do anything with it until Sun/Mon

• 4 weeks later...

and nearly another month later, today was the day the tank was supposed to be going back on the Bentley. Despite the persistent rain it was still going to happen, but it didn't.

Unfortunately I have bolt problems. Firstly I am short of two of the six that I need to put the fuel sender back in; one is missing altogether and one has been snapped. Flying Spares who supplied the sender don't list them but I'll be on the phone in the morning jjust in case. I have worked out, by looking online on the excellent Australian RREC site where they have uploaded all the manuals, that these are 3BA so may be able to get them elsewhere. And I have realised that that the sender shield, which was still on there when the tank went to be repaired, is now missing; it is available new but will need to be ordered (and paid for).

The other bolt problem is the tensoning stud for the fuel tank retaining straps, not available from Flying Spares and my original ones are buggered. My new bolts for the other bits on the tank strap have slightly different thread pitch, these are coarser. According to the factory manual thet are 0.250" diameter but I have no idea whether that is BSF, UNF or something else again. I have to try to get some by Monday, which is the next time I can get some help. The tank cannot go back on without them so options are limited short of getting the piece drilled out and a new thread tapped in.

I am lacking enthusiasm, my winter depression is coming early this year and I've had enough already.

The Land Rover was losing brake fluid but that was just a leaky caliper and easily fixed. I've disconnected the radio in it as I think I wired it wrong and that was what has been draining the battery (so I probably didn't need a new battery after all).

Amazed at all you are managing to do and your great choice in cars, whilst it must be frustrating and financially draining dealing with the issues these older vehicles experience, like older buildings they are worth preserving and have a feel to them that factory fresh cars rarely ever possess. Rather spend time and money on old cars than watch new cars depreciate and also often fail to proceed, with repairs being expensive and main dealer only. Your journey has so far provided inspiration to a lot of us on here and I for one look forward to many more installments.

I remembered an old trick of cleaning up the threads on bolts using a sharp kitchen knife. I have spent part of the evening doing this and now smell of 3 in 1 oil (as does the kitchen knife), but the good news is that this has worked and the retaining studs have screwed back into where they should go on the retaining straps. Providing that my cheese-head 3BA bolts arrive tomorrow, (sender shield is on its way as well) and I am not hit by a monsoon, the tank should now be able to go back on, on Monday. Battery is on charge in anticipation.

To make up for things going reasonably well there, I got a parking ticket today. I could probably dispute it as I was in a loading bay and had been unloading, unfortunately I did not go directly back to move the Land Rover as I got distracted by having to do some washing up, once I have worked out from the incredibly small print (in English and Welsh) how to pay I shall. £35 for ten minutes seems a trifle excessive though, even for Cardiff city centre. (Ticket states observed at 9:13, issued at 9:13,they don't hang around in Cardiff)

Is it roadworthy once you've got the tank back in?

Driveable hopefully, roadworthy not sure, as the brakes were marginal before and probably worse now it's been standing, that will be the next job.

Today is tank going back in day, started at 8:30, it's not going well. I'm keeping out of the way as much as possible and providing the tea, chocolate biscuits and the occasional bit of assistance. It's fighting Phillip the mechanic all the way, the new filler hose is slightly thicker and not as flexible, the new straps are millimetre perfect, which means there is no fiddle room at all, the clearance around the fixings and everything else (exhaust, brake rods, chassis, etc.) is marginal; I have no idea what this is going to cost me, but whatever it is, it will be well worth it as I think by now I would have set fire to it.

And it's alive! Phillip had to leave it for a while as he had other jobs to do, at this point the tank was back in and the filler connected, but not the delivery pipe or fuel sender (which chose that moment for a terminal to fall off the wiring).

He came back at five to finish off; while he was away I gave it a quick clean, not a Vulgalorising, I just got the moss, leaves and cobwebs off the outside and wiped the mould off the inside. It didn't take him too long to finish and then three gallons of petrol were added to the tank and a fingers crossed fire up was attempted.

Despite two/three months standing it fired up straight away, a bit lumpy at first but soon settled down to its normal steady tick-over. After Phillip had packed up and gone I refitted the rear bumper, moved the Land Rover out of the way and took it down to the garage a couple of miles down the road where I stuck another £20 of petrol in. then straight home and put it back behind the gates.

The new, expensive, fuel sender works as does the new, expensive, old-stock speedometer/mileometer. The brakes are still poor, but not as bad as I thought they were, and rebuild kits are on their way.

Ace. Regarding the brakes, do these have the ridiculous prop-driven servo? I understand that can allow for some serious brown-trouser moments if you've been hitting the middle pedal a lot at slow speeds.

Yes it does, also it has the early brakes which just have a single piston on the front. I have taken it out today and I'm ashamed to say it just isn't me, I hate being looked at and it attracts too much attention. I suppose I could wear a balaclava, but that would probably be worse. I've done my usual and come home and stuck it up for sale; the reality is that my income just can't cope with the expenditure it really needs, ok I haven't had xtriple levels of expenditure, but even when it wasn't being used it has still consumed hundreds of pounds a month. I did say before I bought it that it would probably end up annoying me rotting and broken on the drive and that's what it has been like for the last couple of months. I doubt that it will be an easy or quick sale, and I may relent if my mood changes in the next few days, so we'll see.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bentley-Mk-V1-H-J-Mulliner-Mark-6-1949-/252569427313?hash=item3ace4f9d71:g:n0sAAOSw8gVX85e1

Would £250 a ticket cover it......................?

No! 60 x 250 would leave us a grand short. Anyone want a kidney... or two?

I get days like that with my Bentley: every bugger looking at you and total paranoia about where you park etc, but, fuck 'em! You need to keep it you soft sod, find somewhere to winter the old lass, do a few gentle jobs ready for fine weather enjoyment.

I really do get days like this and mine is a lot easier to get repaired, but seemingly, a  lot more expensive! Can't believe you are ready to bail on one of W.O.s finest already, you quitter :) 

Best of luck with the sale but I personally hope you change your mind.

No! 60 x 250 would leave us a grand short. Anyone want a kidney... or two?

I get days like that with my Bentley: every bugger looking at you and total paranoia about where you park etc, but, fuck 'em! You need to keep it you soft sod, find somewhere to winter the old lass, do a few gentle jobs ready for fine weather enjoyment.

I really do get days like this and mine is a lot easier to get repaired, but seemingly, a  lot more expensive! Can't believe you are ready to bail on one of W.O.s finest already, you quitter :) 

Best of luck with the sale but I personally hope you change your mind.

Whs!

Keep it. It's a lovely old thing. A lot of people stop and stare when I'm piloting the Mercury but I just ignore most of it tbh. The car is good for me and that's all that matters.

I think if it were mine (and I'd love it to be!) you'd have to pry the keys from my cold dead hands!

I hope you come to your senses and keep it, but if not good luck with the sale.

• 2 weeks later...

post-3477-0-83415800-1476725279_thumb.jpg

Well it has gone; one of my dream cars, but in reality it just wasn't me. I'm glad I did it, but if I try it again please remove any digital device/cash from my reach to stop me doing anything stupid. I'll be sticking with the Land Rover which is much more what I need and will probably spend some of the money on some more windows/insulation, boring and sensible I know, but who needs excitement anyway.