Six Cylinders Motoring Notes

Six-cylinder

I use normal stuff in the 635 which is the same steering brake thing you have.  I have a noisy pump and the braking system failed due to the pressure sphere failing. Could it be the fluid? I don't know as both systems are in their mid thirties, have been neglected for a large part of the cars life and done well over 200,000 miles. it had normal stuff in when I got the car, you can't drain the system without disassembly of parts only suck it out of the reservoir. What I will say is, look at the pentosin operating temperature range and that of normal ATF or whatever as I suspect normal fluid thins out too much when the system is operating hot. This could cause all sorts of pressure issues for example, my brakes would lock themselves up at idle when stationary and not  free off until some air could pass through and cool things down. Trouble with that is of course, the brakes are locked up... you can't move without burning things out. Then again, I don't know how the pressure sphere failed. 

There are 2 pressure switches on the sphere valve block, I assume are low and high pressure. I'd like to know what these actually do because mine do sod all apparently!

All that label is telling you to do is pump the brakes with the engine off and the fluid will rise, when it stops rising top up to 10mm below the rim of the canister. Probably knew that anyway. Lots of exclamation marks tho...

I've had all that gubbins apart back to the bare bones before.... bad thing to do as it physically doesn't fit back together, even with the strength of 10 bears!

I am now confused as to what is in there, I can't remember putting any fluid in there but I guess somebody has in the 11 1/2 years we have had it.

This is the fluid I have at home Total ATX, Carlube ATF-Q and Carlube Dexron II are red.

What is the difference between Dexron II and Dexron III?

I have read you can't drain the system so unless anybody has any bright ideas I guess it will be Total ATX as I have most of that?

IMG_20190821_144747 broad.jpg

Should be green* hydraulic fluid. I have a tin of Audi green fluid which rather oddly says it is  "not for use by the public"  in Switzerland.

Also says "not for automatic transmissions" 

I guess there has been a bit of history of muddling these fluids under the bonnet.

**I wonder if it is just LHM?  Neither VAG nor BMW would ever admit to using any thing French.......

I had ordered some Pentosin CHF 7.1 and it arrived today and is in deed green.

As what was in there is red I did not want to top up the reservoir with it so have used red Total ATX.

I don't know what is in there or who put it in there and I don't remember paying anybody to work on the fluid part of the steering in the 11+ years we have had it.

The battery is now charged and it starts without the jump pack although I have left it on over night because it has a 88 Ah capacity, also it got a wash today as it was very dusty.

Just thinking out loud!

Sunday 29th September is Milton Keynes BL Autumn day at the museum and what car to take? The two Sovereigns fit the pre 1997 BMC, BL and Rover group restrictions, but I feel I would rather take the VP1500 or Metro. Which one???

This is what I am thinking, take them both. Press-gang an innocent shiter to come to Buckingham leave there car and drive a tidy MG Metro or the scuffest VP 1500 on the road the 11 miles to the event and spend the day bathing in BL beauties.

Any takers? 

IMG_20190810_143342 BL crop broad.jpg

Again just thinking out loud at the moment we never got to play with the big toys on the last tinkering day due to the hay not being cut, but it is now. The only weekend I have free in September is 21/22 and I would love to get our digger, tractor, 2x dumpers and Bonzer horticultural truck running round the field again before winter comes.

The ground has to be dry so we don't smash it up.

Anybody interested?

P1280012 broad v3.jpg

10 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Again just thinking out loud at the moment we never got to play with the big toys on the last tinkering day due to the hay not being cut, but it is now. The only weekend I have free in September is 21/22 and I would love to get our digger, tractor, 2x dumpers and Bonzer horticultural truck running round the field again before winter comes.

The ground has to be dry so we don't smash it up.

Anybody interested?

P1280012 broad v3.jpg

I tentatively put my hat in the ring for this, esp if the field is fully open so to speak :) because more space to run around in, in the Invacar, and more space for me to run around in a normal car without being too worried of crashing into something!

also would not say no to heavy machinery fun as you say :) 

(My Poor back is already recoiling in horror LOL)

(keep in mind im very flexible with dates so dont worry about me if you have to change the dates etc)

1 minute ago, LightBulbFun said:

I tentatively put my hat in the ring for this, esp if the field is fully open so to speak :) because more space to run around in, in the Invacar, and more space for me to run around in a normal car without being too worried of crashing into something!

also would not say no to heavy machinery fun as you say :) 

(My Poor back is already recoiling in horror LOL)

(keep in mind im very flexible with dates so dont worry about me if you have to change the dates etc)

I have put up this date without talking to Mrs6C as she is away with the boat, but in Sep she is usually very busy with Apple days so I think you would need to find somebody else to help you with transport.

Big toys are subject to ground conditions, but we can always do 3 wheeled tinkering as long as its not pissing it down.

6 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Sounds good. 

Any progress getting your rangey back?

I have heard nothing yet, I have been very busy with non car stuff and my friend who says he can lay his hands on a trailer big enough for a Range Rover is on holiday until the beginning of September so I will chase when he gets back.

I now have the accelerator cable for the CX if you fancy seeing if we can get it back on?

6 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have put up this date without talking to Mrs6C as she is away with the boat, but in Sep she is usually very busy with Apple days so I think you would need to find somebody else to help you with transport.

Big toys are subject to ground conditions, but we can always do 3 wheeled tinkering as long as its not pissing it down.

ah thats a good point

*tentatively takes hat out of ring*

I could do 1 day (assuming I could find someone to ferry me from the station and back), but going and coming back in just 1 day is sadly too much for my back

For those who thought camping at the field of dreams was spoiled by the no fires rule, today I have bought a fully encloses garden fire with BBQ shelve. It is a reasonable size 900mm diameter base, 1300mm high.

When Mrs6C sees it I hope it will get full approval.

IMG_20190825_155054 broad.jpg