Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - what date should the next FoD be?

Six-cylinder

Progress halted on the Sovereign S1 bonnet because it is so rusty I need a replacement. In the meantime while I pondered the bonnet, I asked my friend to fit the new rear valance Breadvan had kindly provided with the car.

Usual story the rear quarters are also rusty along with the bottom lip of the rear wings, so I now have repair panels for those to fit as well.

As a side issue while we were working in that area it was time to change the o-s fuel tank as it was out of use due to a leak. Again fortunately Breadvan has included a good secondhand replacement with the car. We now have the old tank out without a bottom!

This was supposed to be a quick bonnet adjustment!

post-4787-0-26747900-1489002470_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-77674100-1489002495_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-24057200-1489002518_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-48070300-1489002540_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-03209600-1489002556_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-72869500-1489002574_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-47041100-1489002588_thumb.jpg

Good to see the old girl getting more tlc! How's the ex-robt Daimler at the mo?

Mr Edwards has a lot to answer!

I must find out, I took it to my favourite garage because the brakes had gone spongy while sitting, the last I heard about a week ago was a metal brake pipe to a front calliper was loose and they had tighten that and bleed it and the brake pedal had returned to normal, but they were going to test it for me. Then to show them how much I hated them I left them with an AED repair kit for the Auto choke after several people had had a go and failed! They keep threatening to bar me.

• Like 2

The XJ6 body shell really is an utterly appalling design. The front wings are a master class in rust traps - the abortion for a flange where it bolts to the sill is a case in point - why have a simple 90 degree bend at the base when you can have a complex rust trap involving a separate bit of metal instead? It could have been 10% lighter and 50% less rot prone with some simple design.

Today I collected a good used rot free, slightly dented bonnet for the sovereign S1, I was supposed to collect it from Sutton-in-Ashfield but the seller called me last night to see if I wanted to collect it from Leicester instead as he had to go there. over 40 miles less for me.

The C15 had an issue this morning with strong smell of electrical burning I pulled into a gate way less than a mile from home. I remembered that once the glow plug relay had stuck on and opened the bonnet, no smell of burning and a different position for the relay make me realise it was a Visa car that had had that problem. Back in the van and the smell was worse and smoke coming from the centre air vents a clue, yes the heater fan had burnt out. Smell now gone but it no longer works, any body got a spare one?

A bit disappointed at the C15 fuel consumption only 43.1 mpg over the last 361 miles.

Next load in it ready from delivery to the field.

post-4787-0-99715300-1489087586_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-09674900-1489087617_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-57274400-1489087641_thumb.jpg

You don't want any more pallets by any chance? I've a couple of perfect ones at work to get rid of. Come down and see the mclarens!

You don't want any more pallets by any chance? I've a couple of perfect ones at work to get rid of. Come down and see the mclarens!

Thanks, we do use a few pallets and can always give a decent pallet a good home but just a bit too far to travel.

• Like 1

Good to see the old girl getting more tlc! How's the ex-robt Daimler at the mo?

I collected the Sovereign S2 today and it now stops without pedal pumping and starts from cold without needing a sniff. I had forgotten that the day I took it for repair the heater fan packed up and I had forgotten to ask the auto electrician to have a look for me. Also Mrs 6C has just taken it for a run and found the dash indicator warning is not working and there is an inner headlight out. The autoelectrian is booked for Thursday.

After work tonight we had a few minutes before it got dark so Mrs 6C took the carpets out of S2 because they were soaking wet , not obvious where the water is coming in but 3 out of 4 foot wells need drying out.

The Toad alarm on the E30 plays up and sometimes won’t let the car start or bleeps pitifully - Auto electrician booked for Thursday to strip it out.

I checked tyre pressures with the new electric pump alf 892 has given me. MX5 a bit low all round, MG ZR a bit high all round!

post-4787-0-22491300-1489173282_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-59825000-1489173311_thumb.jpg

I prefer the s2 looks I think. Fair enough on the pallets- I'm trying to get rid, they won't fit in any of my cars!

If anyone reading this wants them then PM me. They're at GU248JB.

The S2 water leaks are from the windscreen rubber I think. I had to dry the carpets out when I had it, and put silicone sealant around the rubber as a temporary fix (sounds like it isn't working).

I brought the new screen rubber to Shitefest and gave it Mrs Cyl, as I forgot to leave it in the car when you kindly saved me from financial ruin and bought the car off me!

The Auto electrician is here today and I have plenty that needs his attention.

Sovereign S2

Heater fan not working

Dash direction indicator warning lights not working

n-s inner headlight not working

BMW E30

Toad alarm has a mind of its own and sometimes won’t let the car start.

Citroen ZX

Intermittent and programmed wash wipe stopped working

Sovereign S1

I can’t hear the fuel pump working on the side with the knackered tank.

post-4787-0-32795500-1489665894_thumb.jpg

So the results of the visit by the Auto electrician are:

Sovereign S2

Heater fan not working – corroded fuse now working

Dash indicator warning lights not working – diagnosed as Hazard switch which I cannot buy so the car is off the road in bits.

n-s inner headlight not working – corroded connector now working

BMW E30

Toad alarm has a mind of its own and sometimes won’t let the car start - Alarm stripped out.

Citroen ZX

Intermittent and programmed wash wipe stopped working – diagnosed as intermittent relay, now on order.

Sovereign S1

I can’t hear the fuel pump working on the side with the knackered tank – there is a power supply, but the pump is missing!

Unfortunately the Auto electrician managed to break the speedo glass getting it out. The car is now off the road dismantled until I can find a Hazard switch.

post-4787-0-13548000-1489691494_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-37177800-1489691512_thumb.jpg

I did see that but I am not 100% sure if Australian ones are the same. it has a different symbol on it.

I have placed an order with Martin Robey eng and the web site says they will come back to me with stock availability, I might well order the Aus one if they do not have one.

It is 95mm dia 2mm thick and easy to fit if I had one.

I'll have a look at work tomorrow and see if there is owt similar. Commercial stuff so usually more like 3mm thick from memory.

• Like 1

My hunt for a Series 2 Hazard switch is not going well.

RE: Online order via Martin Robey website #4425 [scanned by Freecom.net]

R

Reception at Martin Robey Group <info@martinrobey.co.uk>

Reply|

Today, 09:59

We are currently out of stock of this part with no estimated time to re-stock.

Kind regards,

Steve Melling

Martin Robey Sales Ltd

Pool Road

Camp Hill Industrial Estate

Nuneaton

Warwickshire

CV10 9AE

Tel: +44 (0) 2476 386 903

E-mail: info@martinrobey.co.uk

Web: www.martinrobey.com

Fax: +44 (0) 2476 345 302