Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Momentous day for my Mini Mayfair yesterday, it moved under its own power for the first time in in 25 years

Six-cylinder

Today's car stuff started with my friend Colin from the Milton Keynes Classic group having a drive of the Morris 1300. Colin has a VP1300 and noticed the occasional and sudden misfire of my Morris so we had a look around including lifting the distributor cap, but could see nothing. A stab in the dark saw us fit a new coil and Colin took it out again. BINGO no more misfire!

The reason Colin had come round was to restart the Opel Manta project by getting the wheels painted ready to fit. Trouble is when you do it properly it takes time and all we manged before he needed to go home was two inners.

IMG_20240203_160713 broad.jpg

IMG_20240203_140014 broad.jpg

Milton Keyes Classic breakfast meeting today with 10° C and sunshine was a popular event.

@Andyrew came in his VP1300 and Colin was supposed to bring his VP1300 but it would not start so he brought along his Mini van.

IMG_20240204_121355 broad.jpg

17 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Milton Keyes Classic breakfast meeting today with 10° C and sunshine was a popular event.

@Andyrew came in his VP1300 and Colin was supposed to bring his VP1300 but it would not start so he brought along his Mini van.

not sure if anyones pointed it out, but I like how you have the VDP Allegro, while Andyrew has the regular Allegro, and you have the Regular ADO16 while Andyrew has the VDP ADO16 :)

I hope we can see all 4 together at some point? :) 

On 03/02/2024 at 16:58, Six-cylinder said:

Today's car stuff started with my friend Colin from the Milton Keynes Classic group having a drive of the Morris 1300. Colin has a VP1300 and noticed it needs a V8

37 minutes ago, hairnet said:

Today's car stuff started with my friend Colin from the Milton Keynes Classic group having a drive of the Morris 1300. Colin has a VP1300 and noticed it needs a V8

I would fit a turbo V-Tec Honda engine in it, but Mrs6C had pointed out I only have a pea shooter exhaust!

IMG_20240201_122521 broad.jpg

5 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Minivan with a sunroof? It looks a tad low.

I had a few errands to run today, which car?

Range Rover - hard to park

Astra - uses too little diesel

Morris 1300 - heater not working

480 - The desire is there to drive it. Also the heater works well and it is good to check that it starts every time as it has just had a second new starter fitted.

IMG_20240205_120011 broad.jpg

4 hours ago, hairnet said:

Mums go to iceland 🤣

Not in stylish cars like this!

A mum would have gone in a Metro!

My Morris 1300’s front suspension has been playing the percussion for an orchestra since I had it and today it went to my favourite garage for a health check. As suspected it is the bush in the nearside of the steering rack that is worn and allowing the rack to bang over rough ground.

The car received a general inspection as it is not MOTed and got a good report. The only other thing noted was the o-s drive shaft joint had some deterioration, but did not need immediate replacement.

IMG_20240213_114230 broad.jpg

IMG_20240213_113907 broad.jpg

• Like 10

i've been seeing an advert for citroen which features a brown GS- you wouldn't know anything about this would you?🤔

13 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

i've been seeing an advert for citroen which features a brown GS- you wouldn't know anything about this would you?🤔

Sorry I don't even remember seeing a brown one for sale recently.

Unless Mrs6C is secretly selling ours!

P1410992 broad.jpg

2 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

no you  'nana not for sale but a starring role like that thing with idris elba

They also  took our MGB GT to be parked in the street.

P1110585 broad.jpg

P1110627 broad.jpg

P1110644 broad.jpg

TV filming 1-3-19 broad.jpg

P1110606 broad.jpg

16 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

The ad for the new* C4 (I think). I did spot the brown GS too but I don't remember seeing a number plate. 

On 16/02/2024 at 17:06, Crackers said:

The ad for the new* C4 (I think). I did spot the brown GS too but I don't remember seeing a number plate. 

I have not seen the Ad mainly because we don't have conventional TV any more. Any links to view it?

Today I have slowly been preparing and painting the front of the first of the Manta wheels, but the paint won't dry at 10 C.

I have fired up the new garage diesel heater (not FoD one) and set up the exhaust and air filter as per the illustration in the manual. Mrs6C commented what are you burning, on investigation the exhaust pipe was cold and the inlet pipe was hot and the plastic air filet melting. Checking the instruction manual again I found I had set it up as per the manual and that was wrong! 

IMG_20240221_175725 broad.jpg

IMG_20240221_175708 broad.jpg

IMG_20240221_190057 with colour code broad.jpg

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

I have not seen the Ad mainly because we don't have conventional TV any more. Any links to view it?

Longer version here...

The 480 got a trip out yesterday to MK Modern Classics breakfast meeting, it took me 15 mins to chip the frozen hail off it before I could drive it. It does have a good heater which is why the Morris 1300 did not get a look in.

IMG_20240224_110649 broad.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Six-cylinder said:

Ride of Shame!

It won't start. Press the button the dash lights and then goes black again.

IMG_20240226_154948 broad.jpg

IMG_20240226_155337 broad.jpg

Oh dear. Our neighbour's very shiny,  low mileage 18 plate Discovery FTPd a few days back - everything completely shut down for no apparent reason and it refused to go. JLR now have it and it looks like it could be the main ECU.

Fingers crossed yours is a relatively easy fix in contrast.