And now a message from my employer

andrew e

That reminds me - There is a level crossing in the North East (Arcot Hall) where if you approach at the right speed (anything over 45(its a 60 zome)) you will lift all four wheels off the ground - an awesome feeling.

Anyway, sod's law says that if you wind up the speed on the road, the barriers will be down by the time you get there. And because there are high speed trains on the route, it takes ages for the smaller trains to pass.

One morning on the way to work, I was pelting down this road at about 50 in my Hyundai Pony. I was almost at the crossing when the light started to flash. I floored it and as I hit the hump, the barrier started to decend! I must have cleared 2 ft off the ground and by the time I got to work I was still shaking. I vowed never to be so stupid again.

I got out of the car and my rear bumper was missing! When I went back later I found it in the hedge - I had hit the ground so hard the bumper hit the ground and ripped clean off!

BTW this was at least 7 years ago.

The car in question -

Posted Image

I was driving around Manchester city centre once and was familiar with the existence of the trams - I drove the route regularly. Except in a moment of brain fade I just drove straight across a road/tram junction without stopping or even looking. My lucky day.

That reminds me - There is a level crossing in the North East (Arcot Hall) where if you approach at the right speed (anything over 45(its a 60 zome)) you will lift all four wheels off the ground - an awesome feeling.

Ditto Gregson Lane - Hoghton, but you need to approach from the Private Rd /Brindle end. (direction of arrow)

Posted Image

Totally trashed my minis rear subframe and nasty cracks appeared in the floorpan. Awsome though to grab some air!