Peugeot 604 for sale (not mine, not bargain)

dieselnutjob

That's only up the road from me if anybody wants me to take a look, it's even closer to Earl aka RoadworkUK thinking about it, I might take a drive up at the weekend and take a look.

Bit pricey though knowing how little PeteM got for his.

it's even closer to Earl aka RoadworkUK

It's quite disgustingly close to me, in fact. Potential viewers are welcome to pop by for a nice cup of tea.

It's been on their forecourt, hidden at the back and partially blocked by a series Land Rover, for a week or so. It's quite tidy, but only quite. I've been checking their website for a while, trying to guess what they'd list it at. Turns out my guesses were miles out.

Hate to think what it owes them.

Imagine how lovely, comfy and thirsty that is. The PRV V6 is fully Euro -5 compliant as well. I can smell the emissions from here.

Defo a car for the future.

if anyone does go to see this car I would be interested if they can figure out if it was green from new.  The paint under the bonnet is brown but I have a feeling that this is actually correct even for a green car.  It would be nice to confirm it.

I like that.

Didn't know they had ever done the 604 on carbs.

Is that the daft single choke now, two extra chokes later arrangement or the 2 x triple choke set up?

if anyone does go to see this car I would be interested if they can figure out if it was green from new.  The paint under the bonnet is brown but I have a feeling that this is actually correct even for a green car.  It would be nice to confirm it.

I used to PDI these when I first started work (Hall Brothers, West Ruislip) and seem to remember that they were all metallic and not sprayed the same under the bonnets. A little later, around the time the turbo diesel came out you could get non metallic paint as an option.

I like that.

Didn't know they had ever done the 604 on carbs.

Is that the daft single choke now, two extra chokes later arrangement or the 2 x triple choke set up?

Small single, twin choke later, plus two sets of points, two coils and a double rotor arm thingy.

Very nice is an understatement, doubt he'll get near £5k for it though even in that condition?  All these 505s that keep popping up start at £2/3/4k and then eventually drift back to nearer a grand.  My 204 had a brown colour under the bonnet whereas the paintwork was white.

I used to PDI these when I first started work (Hall Brothers, West Ruislip) and seem to remember that they were all metallic and not sprayed the same under the bonnets. A little later, around the time the turbo diesel came out you could get non metallic paint as an option.

The early models were only available in very few colours.  Metallic Beige, Brown or Green are the ones I know about. These would all have carbs.

By an early model I mean wipers park the "wrong" side and round filler cap.

There was a late model that had black plastic rear view mirrors (all turbo diesels were these) but I think that there might have been an intermediate version that had chrome mirrors, park right wipers and more colour options as well as a Ti option.

The carb ones are fairly poor.  Apparently is was difficult to get them to run right when they were new so hopeless after 38 years.  You can fit Holly or 38 DGAS carbs on them and megasquirt has been done as well, which is my eventual plan.

I had a 604 back in the 1980s in matalic brown with baige leather, it was on carbs to, funny set up one small single choke and a separate twin choke seemed to work on a triple stage set up, could be a bit prone to flat spots! Bit thirsty too, nice car to drive. Haven't seen one for years!

The early models were only available in very few colours.  Metallic Beige, Brown or Green are the ones I know about. These would all have carbs.

By an early model I mean wipers park the "wrong" side and round filler cap.

There was a late model that had black plastic rear view mirrors (all turbo diesels were these) but I think that there might have been an intermediate version that had chrome mirrors, park right wipers and more colour options as well as a Ti option.

The carb ones are fairly poor.  Apparently is was difficult to get them to run right when they were new so hopeless after 38 years.  You can fit Holly or 38 DGAS carbs on them and megasquirt has been done as well, which is my eventual plan.

I think there was an early metallic dark red as well.  A few more boring factoids: n/s door mirror was an option on 504/604 so had to be drilled out to take the captive nuts for the mirror.  The 604 turbo diesel was claimed by Peugeot to be the first 100 mph production diesel, when Peugeot et al launched Motoquip some 604 parts fell by 75%. e.g rear light lenses,  Setting up the triple carb system involve a gizmo to set the auto choke mechanism and then various sized drills bits to adjust pull down etc.

Early K-Jetronic 604s with electronic ignition used to burn out rotor arms which was a big job to replace as the dizzy was located under the injection system

As requested by DNJ i've been to take a look at this 604 this afternoon, The garage owners seems quite happy for me to have a play about with the car and left me too it after i explain that i was viewing it for somebody

The story was that the salesman got chatting to a friend in Southwold who said there neighbour, who had retired from driving had a old 604 for the garage, i deal was done, they bought it back, got it running about, fixed the calipers and moted it and here it was.

They had offered it on some trade only website originally that they use and were offered £3000 by a trader so they decided to clean it up and retail it instead.

On the outset it does look very clean and tidy considering it's age.

post-3625-0-15798100-1393698916_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-73843000-1393698917_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-39393000-1393698914_thumb.jpg

I loved the stickers in the rear window.

post-3625-0-74810300-1393698910_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-21320700-1393698912_thumb.jpg

Now DNJ was a bit concerned about the colour, I'm 99% sure it's original as is the garage, it's very straight under the bonnet but would benefit from a good clean.

post-3625-0-54220900-1393698978_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-14957000-1393698977_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-79279100-1393698975_thumb.jpg

The interior is wonderful, the seats are unbelievably comfortable, it's very tidy and original inside with electric everything, it did smell like old man a bit inside though.

post-3625-0-92341100-1393699059_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-21672000-1393699062_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-91031600-1393699063_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-74687600-1393699065_thumb.jpg

The paint work on the bottom of this 1/4 was a bit rough.

post-3625-0-40938000-1393699067_thumb.jpg

There was some scabby bits though, a very small bit around the door seams.

post-3625-0-98119100-1393699153_thumb.jpg

Arches and inner arches seemed good though.

post-3625-0-03025500-1393699155_thumb.jpg

Again the sills were good, are they meant to be screwed on? All the base of the door was starting to blister.

post-3625-0-20785800-1393699156_thumb.jpg

The rear axle was quite rusty and the based of the spare wheel well was starting to go.

post-3625-0-37453800-1393699157_thumb.jpg

All in all it was a very clean car but I'd suspect as soon as you started to use it things will go wrong, it wouldn't start for me, it would fire up if you foot was on the throttle but as soon as you took it off it would die, at a guess I'd say it was out of fuel as the gauge never moved.

The garage did say there was room for negotiation but how much, i don't know. 

• Like 3

It was a lot, and i told them that, I think it would find a buyer at £3000 but even then you'll have to expect to spend out more on it recommissioning it properly.

My parents had a 604 which I think was from that garage - KMO 660P. Was a browny metallic colour. They must have had it for about 3 years in the early 80's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having a good pore over this was one of my tasks for this weekend, It's only 100yards from Chateau Roadwork and I'd already had a look but it was too miserable and rainy for much time or any photos.

You've saved me a job and done a better job than I would have done anyway.

Pop by for a quality* beverage next time you hit Mistley up, we've just cracked open the home brew!

Now DNJ was a bit concerned about the colour, I'm 99% sure it's original as is the garage, it's very straight under the bonnet but would benefit from a good clean.

Thanks for this, that's absolutely ace.

It's not that I'm concerned.  It's that my 604 needs a complete respray, and I really, really like that green colour.  I'm highly tempted to change mine to this green.  This is made easier on the early 604s by the fact that they seemed to paint them all brown and then only paint the visible bits to the final colour.  I have some documentary evidence that they were all sprayed by hand (rather than robots?).  Weren't all cars hand sprayed in 1976?

Yes, first layer was machine work, final layer handpainted. Thats why the engine compartments are always black or brown.

You can see both steps in the last film on this page, starts at 28:42.  http://www.altefranzosen.de/archives/61-Film-ab!.html .  First machine paint in a "tunnel", then  hand paint of the final layer.

attachicon.gifsochaux_paint.jpg

Christ alive...talk about an 'in depth' answer!