XUD advice

Minimad5

As you may of read in the Stupid Question thread:

Drove home yesterday (after a long journey) turned off the ignition, and the faithful BX ran-on for a second or two, then as it should have went off.
Today it decided to not "turn off" at all, and i had to stall it in 5th.
Would i be right in saying that this is the Stop Solenoid ? ... or should i be looking at something else.

So today i replaced the stop solenoid and even tested the new item, but the problem still persists.
I have also tested to see if the solenoid is getting a constant 12v supply, and everyting tests out okay as 12v+ when running (and key in) and 0V with the ignition off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as i don't want to cause further damage by using the 5th gear as a way of turning the engine off.

Thanks
Minimad5 / Mark

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I removed the brand new stop solenoid today and tested it - All seems to work correctly, though the spring does look a little short, so swapped it out for the old one, and it is in exactly the same depth / place, anyway put it all back together and still the same.
So ignoring the problem for a wee while i took a trip out to pick up Stations stainless exhaust, queue a sudden loss in power and absolute no boost from the turbo at all .... I think (do correct me if i am wrong) but the turbo seals are weeping, allowing the car  to run-on slightly from the oil, thus starving the bearings and leading to seized / FAWKED turbo and no boost.

I could however be totally wrong, so i shall pull the intercooler and so on off tomorrow and see what the deal is ..........

Why do these things always happen after you have spend ££££ on a lot of new parts for 'it' .

Assuming the engine stays at its normal idle speed when the key is removed... It's the stop solenoid's plunger sticking (or the solenoid itself defective, but you've ruled this out ;) ) - alf892 has alluded to this ;) .

If the revs drop when the key is removed it might be the turbo seals (it could also be the piston rings shot and the engine 'breathing heavily' with lots of oil fumes into the inlet manifold).

My money is on the idle speed staying the same when the key is out, therefore it's the stop solenoid plunger sticking - clean its aperture out, refit the solenoid and report back :) .

If it was running on its oil it wouldn't be a nice smooth ilde or a clean exhaust.

When its sits there ticking over with the key off can you still rev it up ?,if so then the stop solenoid is not dropping the plunger down into the pump.

Does the solenoid make a nice click when you touch the feed wire on it ?

Very strange,is the replacement solenoid deffo the right one.

I can remember years a go a customer had a 1.8 ecsort that went from kent to Newcastle 3 times a week and racked up mega miles that ended up with the pump wearing and collecting minute bits of swarf inside it which would cause the solenoid to stick or the plunger would fail to seal so he would bring it in for a clean out/filter change every few weeks.