MG6 Test drive...Now with added Clarkson - Page 4

RedSparrow

Quentin Wilson test drives the MG6:

Hands up who like me gets the impression he is LYING THROUGH HIS TEETH?!!

I wonder how much the Chinese paid him for that?

Are these actually on sale to the public yet? I keep hearing about them, but I've seen more Lamborghinis in the last 6 months than I've seen MG6s. :?

and I've only seen 2 Lamborghinis.....

I test drove 2 of these sometime back in early Jan (See my post here) One being the MG6 GT and the other a Magnette, which is basically a saloon version of the GT. They were both very good cars but nothing fantastically colourful about them.

They obviously havent sold in large numbers as despite living literally a couple of miles from Longbridge, I've probably seen the grand total of 2 on the road that were possibly privately owned.

There was a story not so long back that they sold a load to Avis. Apparently Birmingham City Clowncil bought a fleet of them too (Thats jolly nice of them. Probably the only nice they've ever done) for thier employees to use as a company car.

^yep

Seven months after its introduction to the UK in the summer of 2011, the MG6 was selling in very small numbers. After sales of only 15 units in October 2011, only seven registrations for the MG brand as a whole were recorded in November (of which three were presumably TF roadsters).[18][19]

Some cited lack of advertising and low perceived quality as problematic, while the absence of a diesel and an estate option were also mooted.[19][17]

However, in December, car rental company Avis UK Ltd announced that it would be running 100 MG6 GT and Magnette in its rental fleet and took delivery of these cars.[20]

I've seen one, within a mile's radius of the showroom. Fail.

Seen loads - through the fence at Longbridge!

On the road I've seen a white Magnette on the M6 and the test car seen in the Evo link above.

I wonder where the Avis cars all are? On an airfield somewhere?

Are these actually on sale to the public yet? I keep hearing about them, but I've seen more Lamborghinis in the last 6 months than I've seen MG6s. :?

and I've only seen 2 Lamborghinis.....

Yes, I have seen one in the wild (and I've kept an eye out). 3 Lambos this year.

I'm quite suprised at the complete lack of marketing of these MG's. OK, so I don't buy much printed press these days so I might be a bit wide of the mark, but I certainly haven't seen a single TV advert/billboard/internet ad etc etc. If MG have gone to the bother of designing & building these things then they obviously think there is a market, so why not advertise the bloody things?!

And I'm sure there could be a market for them. OK, its no oil painting - but its no worse than an Insignia/Jetta/Hyundai/Kia etc etc. Plus the MG badge/made in Britain thing must still mean something to some people.

They're a weird looking thing when you see them on the road. They look like they're very narrow and a bit high. Possibly an optical illusion, but it's one I've had every time I've seen one...

Lol Quentin getting bribed by the Chinese now. Pitiful in terms of sales. I mean don't tell me you have seen any more than ten about!

They're a weird looking thing when you see them on the road. They look like they're very narrow and a bit high. Possibly an optical illusion, but it's one I've had every time I've seen one...

The current Golf looks a bit narrow & high as well - but I can imagine it probably looks weirder on a saloon car.

I've not watched Quentin for a while but he does look like he's talking absolute bollocks in that video.

I'm not sure what to think of these cars - the styling looks OK but the interior suggests something along the quality of a newer Proton?

When you look at the pricing I can't imagine why a customer would choose one of these Chinese "MSG's" over a Hyundai or KIA product with known quality and excellent warranty behind it.

The whole idea just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Saw my first MG6 today at the bottom of my street. Thought it was a vauxhall at first, and I can't say I'm that impressed.

What was more impressive was the Navy blue LHD L reg Pug 405 that appeared yesterday, which was dent and rot free, just faided and flat paintwork.

I've seen one, within a mile's radius of the showroom. Fail.

Was it a Blue one? I keep seeing a Blue one around Rubery/Longbridge area.

Nah red, was in Barnt Green with a family in it. I enjoy that the comments on that YT video are even more negative than those on here :lol:

Also, Quentin W states that its boot space is bigger than that of a comparable Focus/Astra....but surely the MG is a larger car than either of those & shoukld therefore be compared to cars such as the Insignia/Mondeo etc.

Yes I noticed that too. I think he also compared the space to that inside a golf too. May as well have compared it to an old mini. Totally irrelevant.

I think JUDGEMENT DAY will come when this eventually gets a go on Top Gear. The thumbs up or down from Clarkson could well seal it's fate.

Indeed, some of the press photos make it look nice but I saw one for the first time at Dover the other day and it looked like someone had tried to drawn an MG6 and it hadn't quite worked out. There was something amiss but I wasn't sure what.

As for their future, a date with destiny on topgear may well be the deciding factor.

I have only seen one privately owned MG6, and that was driven by an elderly lady :shock: it was.

Dont you find it a bit of a dilema though?

I mean, the car is odd, there is no two ways about it, it seems so out of step with others in the sector....but...we want it to do well, jobs for British workers, Longbridge to once again become a volume car producing plant again.

Aaaaaaaaaaargh help me I cannot decide.

Also, Quentin W states that its boot space is bigger than that of a comparable Focus/Astra....but surely the MG is a larger car than either of those & shoukld therefore be compared to cars such as the Insignia/Mondeo etc.

Its size is in between a Focus-sized and Mondeo-sized car.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/inside-the ... more-83205

This is an interesting piece. All they do at Longbridge is install the front ends, the cars arrive almost complete from China.

I saw one the other week at work - a visitor turned up in it.

I really want it to be a good, desirable car but in my opinion it looked anything but. It's just too ordinary and thus does not stand out. There is nothing remotely different or radical about it in any way. Even the Z MG's had something about them - regardless of if you like them or not. Same can be said of the Metro/Maestro/Montego efforts. But the new one offers nothing like that.

Sad.

...but...we want it to do well, jobs for British workers, Longbridge to once again become a volume car producing plant again.

True, but if buying a British-built car was important to me I think I'd be far more inclined to go for a Honda Civic instead. They're thrashing the MGs in the BTCC as well! :lol:

There was one parked near my lockup the other day. I think it's a good looking car but they seem to think the MG brand is prestige and asking too much for them. As said in a previous topic Rover got it into their heads that they were somehow semi-prestige and a cut above Ford and Vauxhall and under BMW Merc so tried to charge more for their product than people wanted to pay.

MG should be doing whatDacia are doing and have 3 trims at £12995, £14495, £15995 with varying level of luxury and equipment. If you start pricing it at Focus's and Astra's and just forget all that prestige pish they'll start turning the heads of people who'd normally spend that much money on a smaller back hatch. It's the private buyers MG needs as company car drivers won't touch them because there's no diesel version