Jump to content

Most expensive car I have ever seen...


Recommended Posts

Posted
26 minutes ago, New POD said:

So, the engine has been "properly" thrashed/run-in at maximum revs on a race circuit, and that makes it worth 10 times one that's been cosseted all it's life. 

Provenance. 

Posted
Just now, Metal Guru said:

Provenance. 

I know.  Has it got genuine French flies from Le-mans still splattered on the front screen though? 

Posted
10 hours ago, New POD said:

I know.  Has it got genuine French flies from Le-mans still splattered on the front screen though? 

Probably lose £5m if they’re cleaned off.

Posted
On 21/05/2026 at 20:34, GeorgeB said:

They are racing cars, not "race cars".

Riddle me this: Aeroplane or Airplane? 

Posted
1 hour ago, grogee said:

Riddle me this: Aeroplane or Airplane? 

UK v Trumpton ('merica) 😇

Posted
12 hours ago, grogee said:

Riddle me this: Aeroplane or Airplane? 

The former.

Posted
17 hours ago, grogee said:

Riddle me this: Aeroplane or Airplane? 

Flying machine.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

Flying machine.

Those magnificent men…

Posted

Most expensive cars I've seen...I've worked at a couple of Ferrari Owners' Club events and also the Ferrari Racing Days weekends at Silverstone, but that's cheating slightly.  I also once saw a chrome-liveried Bugatti Veyron at Silverstone, but that could be filed under "Most expensive car you wish you hadn't seen" as it was one of the most vulgar-looking vehicles I've ever clapped eyes on.  I think the owner got rather pissed off when I didn't even look at it and showed more interest in the vintage Amilcar parked next to it!

I remember going to an event at Brooklands kart track, and as I went past Mercedes Benz World on the way in I saw what appeared to be one of the pre-war Mercedes Silver Arrows Grand Prix cars being pushed into the back of one of the buildings, that must have been absolutely priceless.

Outside of a car show, racing event or museum, the most expensive I've seen in the wild is probably either the Jag XJ220 I spotted somewhere near Warwick a couple of years ago, or the only Zonda I've seen on the road (near Birmingham several years back).  I also remember seeing what I think was a Ferrari 288 GTO near The Belfry golf club but it whizzed past so quickly in the other direction I didn't get chance to confirm for certain what model it was. 

And a more unusual spot I made was on the M40 earlier this year - a huge World War I era racing car of some sort which had been to a Vintage Sports Car Club event at Silverstone, being driven alomg the inside lane at something decidedly below typical motorway speed by a rather brave chap perched precariously on top of it, and being shielded by a pickup truck following behind which was towing another vintage car on a trailer!  I really wished I had a dashcam when I saw that as it was quite a bizarre sight.

  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...