Mk7 Fiesta - PURCHASED!

JJ0063

5 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I’ve just put it to him straight - how long have they had it, how long has he been trading as no trace etc 

He seems very open so I expect a huge reply 😂

If he gets arsey or radio silence then you've dodged a bullet. 

Better to find out now than if/when you need help after the folding has changed hands! 

5 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

If he gets arsey or radio silence then you've dodged a bullet. 

Better to find out now than if/when you need help after the folding has changed hands! 

Exactly 

My honest gut feeling is that it’s all genuine, I get the impression it’s a very honest Indian chap and his wife. I’ve found her LinkedIn that says she’s the owner of RAN prestige cars. The RAN part to me is R and N which are their two first initials. 

I’ll post his reply when I hear back but I think it’s all legit. Anything I can find online of their names all ties in with the address/area etc

• Like 1

Just now, JJ0063 said:

Exactly 

My honest gut feeling is that it’s all genuine, I get the impression it’s a very honest Indian chap and his wife. I’ve found her LinkedIn that says she’s the owner of RAN prestige cars. The RAN part to me is R and N which are their two first initials. 

I’ll post his reply when I hear back but I think it’s all legit. Anything I can find online of their names all ties in with the address/area etc

Time will tell, the advert certainly seems genuine and if their reply is genuine then all is well, and you've got half a chance of getting a decent car and smooth transaction now you've done everything you possibly could in advance. From what I gather £2.2k will be a substantial amount of money so you understandably want to get it right first time, which I do sympathise with

Honestly? I’d run a fucking mile, it just sounds like a scam to me. 

Take your time and go somewhere proper where you can look at it properly not some fly by night thats playing at trading cars. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Honestly? I’d run a fucking mile, it just sounds like a scam to me. 

Take your time and go somewhere proper where you can look at it properly not some fly by night thats playing at trading cars. 

In what sense do you think it sounds like a scam? Bearing in mind it’s a car for sale that initially was one that we would travel to see rather than being delivered? Genuinely curious 

He has over 800 feedback, lots mentioning thanks for the car, his address on streetview shows this car in his drive, 192 check shows he’s registered to the address too

Everything adds up so far

• Like 2

It’s just a gut feeling I’ve got, if you were him would you drive all that way on the off chance the customer would say ‘nah it missed a service back in 2009’. That’s just for starters, I’ve lost count the number of cars that were stunning in the pictures, I’ve got there and found all sorts of shit wrong with them. 

Don’t forget feedback can easily be faked, could be he is ghosting someone that’s genuine. If he’s selling ‘prestige cars’ what’s he doing selling old bangers - no disrespect here I drive old bangers but it is what it is. 

Ultimately it’s your choice and I could be completely wrong but it just doesn’t sit right to me. 

1 minute ago, sierraman said:

It’s just a gut feeling I’ve got, if you were him would you drive all that way on the off chance the customer would say ‘nah it missed a service back in 2009’. That’s just for starters, I’ve lost count the number of cars that were stunning in the pictures, I’ve got there and found all sorts of shit wrong with them. 

Don’t forget feedback can easily be faked, could be he is ghosting someone that’s genuine. If he’s selling ‘prestige cars’ what’s he doing selling old bangers - no disrespect here I drive old bangers but it is what it is. 

Ultimately it’s your choice and I could be completely wrong but it just doesn’t sit right to me. 

I do see your point, I’ll see what his response is to the questions I’ve put to him late last night.

The feedback is genuine im sure, it goes back over a year and I remember seeing one of them saying something like ‘Thanks for the car Rob, one of life’s gentlemen’ or something to that effect mentioning his name so its not as though the account has been hacked a week ago or anything.

We’ll see, before I send any form of deposit (he’s only mentioned covering his fuel as a deposit so the worst I’ll loose is £50 odd) and I’ll probably ask for a photo of his ID before I send anything too.

So he’ll drive hundred miles let’s say for fuel? Nothing covering his professional time? So maybe 4 hours of his time to take a car to see someone who may or may not buy it, or indeed may not even be in? 

Why would he do this if it’s been on the usual websites, priced competitively with people in packs of six at his door looking to view it. 

1 minute ago, sierraman said:

So he’ll drive hundred miles let’s say for fuel? Nothing covering his professional time? So maybe 4 hours of his time to take a car to see someone who may or may not buy it, or indeed may not even be in? 

Why would he do this if it’s been on the usual websites, priced competitively with people in packs of six at his door looking to view it. 

Depending on what he says today, so far literally everything else in terms of due diligence has added up so for the sake of £60 I may well let you know 

I totally agree it seems weird but I’ve done enough research on him, his address, his family etc to show that it’s all legit 

Again bearing in mind this was a car where I was going to have to travel to him - he offered to pick me up from the train station his end, I think it weirdly just seems as though the bloke is too nice for his own good!

I really wouldn't worry about the sellers personal circumstances or unusual way he runs his business....... If the car is what you want and checks out when you see it in person that's what matters.

This may just be a way for them to make a bit of extra cash on the side in which case some of the services offered (delivery and fuel deposit) don't need to cover a full time wage.

So long as you check the car out as you would any other I don't see the issue.

58 minutes ago, sierraman said:

This.  Sounds too good to be true to me, and he is also selling an Audi with exactly the same wording in the ad.  If he's prepared to deliver it so far, he must be desperate to get shot of it.  Real motor traders aren't usually quite so helpful.  Just saying.

3 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

This.  Sounds too good to be true to me, and he is also selling an Audi with exactly the same wording in the ad.  If he's prepared to deliver it so far, he must be desperate to get shot of it.  Real motor traders aren't usually quite so helpful.  Just saying.

I agree hence doing so much digging, however what have I got to lose other than £60? Again bearing in mind delivery wasn’t initially offered, I asked for it.

Audi has the same template but description is just similar, I can tell by how he writes messages he just seems to write a shit load rather than cutting to the chase, with everything. 

Despite what the cynics would have you believe most people, whether or not they share your views on politics, sport and the universe, are still honest and decent.  For £60 I'd give the Fiesta seller the benefit of the doubt.

2 minutes ago, BeEP said:

Despite what the cynics would have you believe most people, whether or not they share your views on politics, sport and the universe, are still honest and decent.  For £60 I'd give the Fiesta seller the benefit of the doubt.

It’s exactly my opinion, I’m waiting for a reply as I am genuinely interested to know how long he’s had it himself and how long he’s been in the business, but I don’t think it’s a scam. I think he’s just a bit more honest and helpful than he probably needs to be.

If this blokes a scammer, then he’s welcome to my money.

Considering he actually only wants £25 in advance, and only if I’m happy to pay that, then I literally have nothing to lose.

If hes a scammer (which I’m 99.99% sure he’s not) then he deserves £25 for the effort he’s gone to. 

I love him. 

513B0AAA-11C7-4FE8-91E3-9E73AC14E7B0.jpeg

B356EC85-BF1C-4523-92BC-627B5E6E1BF0.jpeg

3EB171B7-BBBA-476C-9AB8-2921362D27C2.jpeg

702053BF-66F6-41B4-A7BF-804C5AA72F50.jpeg

I  don't think the guy is a scammer as such, but he is a very good salesman.  He knows how to put the punter in a position where they will feel guilty if they don't buy it.   He is already trying to make the delivery arrangements to suit himself, not the buyer.  So the car does need to be checked out properly, like any other, and I'd question whether anyone can do this properly when the car arrives, possibly at an awkward time,  with the guy there doing his sales talk with his hand out for the money.   So just take care really.

• Like 3

I’ve had enough diesels over the years to be able to give it a good enough look over when he delivers it to know whether it’s a heap or not 

The fact he’s owned it a year himself and is willing to drive it 100+ miles puts my mind at rest 

8 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

I  don't think the guy is a scammer as such, but he is a very good salesman.  He knows how to put the punter in a position where they will feel guilty if they don't buy it.   He is already trying to make the delivery arrangements to suit himself, not the buyer.  So the car does need to be checked out properly, like any other, and I'd question whether anyone can do this properly when the car arrives, possibly at an awkward time,  with the guy there doing his sales talk with his hand out for the money.   So just take care really.

Also it’ll be red hot by the time it arrives, enough to disguise any smoking or the idle sounding like a Deltic. 🤣

• Haha 2

Just now, sierraman said:

Also it’ll be red hot by the time it arrives, enough to disguise any smoking or the idle sounding like a Deltic. 🤣

With it being a dealer, I’ve never had to exercise my legal rights but there’s always a first time!   

I'll be honest in the past I've delivered a car personally for fuel only to make sure the sale goes through. 

Nothing wrong with the car, just they pertain involved couldn't get to me to collect. 

Paid in full and never heard back from them. 

In many ways I prefer it as they don't come round you're house trying to look through your garage etc too see what else you've got ( been there before). 

I would agree with the cold start thing though, I do like to hear a car start from cold as it tells a lot. 

24 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

The stuff about being vetted for trade plates is absolute BS. 

I thought it sounded like a long winded way of saying he has to prove he trades cars to get trade plates, which the majority of trade insurers you do have to.

10 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I thought it sounded like a long winded way of saying he has to prove he trades cars to get trade plates, which the majority of trade insurers you do have to.

You apply for trade plates and they’re sent to you once the cheque clears, it’s fairly straightforward. 

Most trade insurers need very little proof of actually trading when taking out the policy - it’s when you claim they pry deeply. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

You apply for trade plates and they’re sent to you once the cheque clears, it’s fairly straightforward. 

Most trade insurers need very little proof of actually trading when taking out the policy - it’s when you claim they pry deeply. 

I do it for a living and a lot of underwriters require it but it’s neither here nor there - the fella seems very genuine, just a bit detailed and forward in the way he writes.