Saab 9-3 auto estate 2008

Dobloseven

Mentioned in my Vau(x)hall Signum thread that I'd got half an eye on the above. It belongs to the guy over the roads brother, who keeps it on the next doors driveway. He lives some way away. They have a car which has to be left on the road. Think the arrangement was he could leave it there for three months. A couple of years ago.The fellow in the house has bought another car which he has to park up the road. He's renting, so perhaps more tolerant than most home owners might be. Occasionally the Saab owner comes round on his pushbike(he doesn't drive) and plays with it, ie starts the engine, which sounds nice. In the past he's added some very smart black aftermarket wheels and fancy brake calipers, all of which seems completely futile, as apparently the rear suspension arms have rusted badly and the motors for the heating and aircon have got wet and burnt out. Obviously any Mot has long expired. It's pretty tidy otherwise, there's some light rust round the rear arches. He turned up today for the first time today and as usual started the engine. I'd seen him talking to the driveway owner and asked him what he was going to do with it. "I've got to do it up and sell it", said he.I told him how much I'd give him for it as it stood, which predictably was somewhat less than his valuation. His brother is keen to see it gone as it's put him in a bit of a spot with the neighbour. He's got absolutely no chance of getting it on the road again himself, and his brother isn't prepared to help him. Any valuations from our Saab licking ASers? Please no suggestions he parts it out as that really would be the last straw. Not really sure what I'd do with it anyway. My youngest son fancies getting rid of his 68 reg Civic and replacing it with something old and Swedish(her out of ABBA?), but apart from that........Think it's a 1.8 turbo petrol, by the way. 

Hopefully it's not a 2006 as that'll be £585 VED.

The petrols are decent enough if the chain is quiet and quick even in 150bhp guise. Auto box is mega smooth.

They're still ten a penny and right at the bottom of their curve at the moment though so I'd suggest getting a better one that hasn't sat for years.

The late 9-3s aren't particularly fancied unless it's an Aero or a cabby, without an MOT it's scrap value.
The works described would take a fair degree of money and hassle to fix, you can live without aircon but no blower would get very annoying very quickly. Stick the reg into Cartakeback.com and tell him that's what it's worth.

As others have said scrap money really I'm afraid. The rear suspension arms are a bit of a bugger on these, pressed in bush, drop link and banana arms will all be knackered if the arms rusted through, shocks & springs will probably be fucked as well.

Think it's safe e to say we're all singing from the same hymn sheet at this end. My offer was £250.Plan would be to have a look at it at my leisure and if it all looked a bit much, weigh it in. Trouble is,  he’s "got a lot of money in it" as it was swapped for another car. And then he's bought the wheels etc. Have a guess how much he wants to get for it. 

I love it when people say that. It's basically telling you they've realised that they have sunk a fortune into a car and they'll never get it back.

If he declines your offer, it will be just as satisfying watching it inevitably be sent off for bean tins a few weeks later for the same monetary amount.

They are nice cars though especially in auto form. Very quiet and comfortable and surprisingly quick in turbo petrol guise. As I said too, saloons and estates are currently very cheap. It could be worth seeking a better one out.

37 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Have a guess how much he wants to get for it. 

£2000-£2500.

Your offer of £250 is about right. If you buy it, take the good bits off and weigh the rest in.

You could take it for MOT and it might surprise you, it will probably be far too gone though.

374bb056cf698d8b1a5f765ac6c8fe90.jpg
Funny you should start this thread as the same thing has been on my mind. I need a more practical car so am thinking of selling my Saab floppy top and this is a short walk from me (sorry for the distant pic). Out of MOT for 8 months and sat on 4 flat tyres. As mentioned here, with no MOT I consider it to be scrap value plus small goodwill payment if pressed. Don’t really want to knock the chap’s door so likely will stick a note through.

Sadly he says he needs £2k!Only thing I might give a bit on are the wheels and tyres. Think the originals are in the car. If he put them back on and kept the new ones to sell, I'd still be happy at 250.Trouble is they do look nice, which is a bit of a plus when it's stuck on the front! 

I've made my offer and will stand by it.Not mentioned the wheel suggestion yet. Not that bothered anyway. He wasn't offended at all and thanked me for my offer. Looking on tinternet, prices for these with Mot and running seem to be all over the place. From hundreds to over £10k for V6s. How similar is the rear suspension to the Vectra C? Just had a look under the 2004 Signum I bought a fortnight ago and everything looks pretty rust free. 

The Cabs have a rudimentary looking brace on the inner sill about a third of the way along. Its a complete rust trap. Both mine are excellent everywhere else though. I don't believe the other models have this. Rear wheel arches get very scabby.

9-5s are the ones that corrode badly.

The front suspension is the same parts as a Vectra C so I am presuming the rear is the same.

31 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Has yours got a torsion beam rear end, rather than a multi link set up? 

Err........I only got under to weld the rear silencer box on when I bought it.  It's passed an MOT since with no advisories though.

Pretty sure it's torsion beam, but I'm just back from eye hospital , it still hurts, and I'm not sticking my head under there for a while just in case there is rust falling,

10 minutes ago, Mally said:

Err........I only got under to weld the rear silencer box on when I bought it.  It's passed an MOT since with no advisories though.

Pretty sure it's torsion beam, but I'm just back from eye hospital , it still hurts, and I'm not sticking my head under there for a while just in case there is rust falling,

Yeah, think the first gen were on the Cavalier platform. Hadn't someone on here got a rusty beam they were thinking of welding? Anyway hope your eye's ok.