Jcr's thread. 38k mile Convoy ex-minibus

jcr

5 hours ago, Talbot said:

Did you see the video that Richard Kitchen (Up-n-Down on youtube) did when he put it on the Dyno?

Frickin' hillarious.  It's making about 35hp at the wheels!

I hadn't, but I've just watched it.  I don't think it was losing quite that much at the wheels when I had it, but 60-odd bhp at the flywheel sounds about right given the way it performed*.  That was the first time I've ever seen the speedo needle go over 70 too...

On 09/01/2024 at 01:41, wuvvum said:

Sounds a lot nicer than an XD3 though!  I actually found with my LTs that it was quicker to set off in second gear with a bit of clutch slip

That's what I did too,  as first runs out of revs at about 5mph anyway! If you look at the rev counter it probably appears that I'm shifting to second but in reality I've just stopped slipping the clutch a little too abruptly.

11 hours ago, mat_the_cat said:

That's what I did too,  as first runs out of revs at about 5mph anyway! If you look at the rev counter it probably appears that I'm shifting to second but in reality I've just stopped slipping the clutch a little too abruptly.

Glorious noise that 6 pot makes. I yearn to hear mine running again.

First really is a crawler gear in an early LT - even with the enormous coachbuilt body on mine, it'll still pull away in 2nd, and the clutch isn't on fire after.

Edited to add: we owned a very similar ex school minibus, ex rental LDV Convoy (medium wheelbase) for a bunch of years. Despite all it's rustiness, and the harshness of the neglected suspension and kingpins, we loved it. I actually couldn't bear to be there when the scrap man came for it...