Jump to content

Tommy's A-series Misery - Back on the Welding


Recommended Posts

Posted
On 18/08/2026 at 13:31, Tommyboy12 said:

Not much to report except I got married and my Mini made an adequate wedding car. My bride only got a small amount of engine oil on her wedding dress... 😅

 

IMG-20260817-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20260817-WA0008.jpg

you in the dog house ref the oil mess on the dress>??

Posted
19 minutes ago, stuboy said:

you in the dog house ref the oil mess on the dress>??

I'm in the dog house for buying two cars straight after my wedding... 😅

The VDP came to my club meet tonight. Behaved flawlessly of course!

PXL_20260902_170954170.jpg.917068ab27e6d434f378a9dd024fb862.jpg

Plenty of other nice metal there

PXL_20260902_171346101.jpg.aec19dab297a6e3d9a4f4ef4650f4ef2.jpg

PXL_20260902_173442140.jpg

PXL_20260902_180500243.jpg

PXL_20260902_180608642.jpg

PXL_20260902_181109105.jpg

  • Tommyboy12 changed the title to Tommy's A-series Misery - Fleet Updates
Posted

So the 2CV has gone. It lasted two weeks. I have committed to buy something else 😅

It's still on the forum! It now belongs to @Jimblob so you can see updates in his thread.

I did enjoy it to an extent. It's an engaging drive and fun to drive flat out constantly and it sat very happily at 70mph. I even drove it in the dark and the rain and didn't get wet! But it just wasn't really for me. It's in good hands though!

I did take it to a French car meet at Caffeine and Machine so have some hot French Fancies.

PXL_20260910_171734915.jpg.8929aca35e079c1d506d17f085da1547.jpg

PXL_20260910_184653021.jpg.fc0b34f38c044718343c47bdf1c9d8aa.jpg

A personal favourite of mine was the Avantime but also @Jimblobs very retro Visa GTi. I love the period features on it. It's just missing the graphics in the rear window in my opinion!

PXL_20260910_173413241.jpg.05715b986c45e390a42a1aa6baf0030d.jpg

The VDP has seen a bit of love. I've identified various key numbers and now have a set of keys to lock it which is nice! I also mopped the bonnet. It's not perfect but it's a lot better

PXL_20260912_091120683.jpg.9843b654b77bf858a392771ab99b983a.jpg

PXL_20260912_092048178.jpg.9db62a5e52bc25fb004f687d65c5b36d.jpg

I then took it to a car meet that my lovely wife had organised for my birthday over the weekend just gone!

PXL_20260912_111516811.jpg.0702931099177b1cd0e2b33ad68aa378.jpg

@sharley17194 turned up in a familiar and progressively more ropey Mini

PXL_20260912_115057520.jpg.032c8bb26d59f6569668b986e34ccf85.jpg

A familiar Panda was also in attendance

PXL_20260912_141316527.jpg.675971d8cec684f38eec5dca1597659f.jpg

And I may have bought one of these Volvos... Although I won't be picking it up for some time

PXL_20260912_141136034.jpg.ec3e5c4ffd165781cfa63c0397a8dfbb.jpg

On Sunday I also attended Stanford Hall Mini Show with a few friends.

I had a flat tyre before I'd even made it off the driveway so I was rocking an odd wheel all day.

PXL_20260913_070741284.jpg.bb669753a95eb7e1dca2bd20dd9406cd.jpg

It was very wet and miserable and I took no pictures until we left for afternoon tea.

PXL_20260913_113439011.jpg.d0151c01bceb62b1b6f873a1b70dbac8.jpg

I'm off to another car meet tonight. I can't decide between turbo Mini or Austin 7...

Posted

Another car meet last night. I made the effort to take my turbo Mini as I didn't fancy 6V electrics in the dark

Got a couple of shots of my own car for a change

FB_IMG_1789628630703.jpg.49397533bda81becc99fa440266f57c6.jpg

FB_IMG_1789628633811.jpg.f16b329e729b401f7b412106fad3e453.jpg

And plenty of the rest of the cars too including some other nice Minis

FB_IMG_1789628641875.jpg.7cb49122f351ff74778112ab522f2d10.jpg

Matching Smarts with matching plates anyone?

PXL_20260916_170950634.jpg.95c7c4275ec69650e801101a7fcb55b0.jpg

PXL_20260916_164431992.jpg.f422751be19c9e113583b623ae83b8c9.jpg

Another appearance from a certain Panda

PXL_20260916_170849410.jpg.a36aa58c63846259ab33023b8f8fd025.jpg

And two opposite ends of the scale in these Visas. Club 2 cylinder vs. a lovely late 115CH GTi.

PXL_20260916_171010215.jpg.175af7c4d5d595bab995feeb45ac0ea0.jpg

PXL_20260916_170859819.jpg.173c834f4e1f4d0246289c9e07d405e1.jpg

I drove home in the dark after a great evening

Posted

That green Mini 1000. Exactly how mine'd look if i could have one 🍆

  • Like 2
Posted

Took the Austin 7 out for spin yesterday. Unfortunately before I had left my village I lost drive. Initially I was concerned it was the clutch. However the prop shaft was still turning. Pushed it home and pulled off the rear hubs. I was greeted by this...

PXL_20260918_155223606.jpg.bc352ea92275f6b45d06492a54cb7f51.jpg

PXL_20260918_155234958.jpg.60f5a167ff29f7901110b8718c1f12ff.jpg

The woodruff has slipped out somehow and the hub and half shaft were chewing each other up. They're meant to be machined and matched and a tapered friction fit. Power isn't transmitted through the woodruff. Unfortunately this means a new half shaft and hub are required. Not expensive but it does mean disassembling the axle to change it. I've put it back together for now so I can move the car around while I sort out parts.

Posted

Fleet updates continue in my efforts to make sure I make progress on everything I own (which as it turns out is too many things 😅)

I have done some more welding on my brown Mini! Embarrassingly, I think it was last touched in August... Last year...

First empty it of all the shit I store in it

PXL_20260920_125253455.jpg.b016cfdd3c35674b1c313867e55f2017.jpg

Then I welded up a hole in the boot floor that I forgot was there

PXL_20260920_125159662.jpg.e3aa30cf51e210d0b815c3cea124e4dd.jpg

Then cover it in lashings of hammerite. Unfortunately I've run out of brown hammerite so black will do for now till I acquire more brown

PXL_20260920_153508857.jpg.743238c3bc0b75abab06a1dfc5fd8c77.jpg

I rebuilt the corner of the wheel tub too and rear quarter too. I had t got to this yet. It's not pretty but it's strong.

PXL_20260920_153307937.jpg.081372d1fb289baae5663da0b0813244.jpg

I also finished off the drivers side rear subframe mount and drowned the whole lot it in tetraseal which is great stuff but it gets everywhere. It's now ready for a subframe on this side!

PXL_20260920_153318275.jpg.be8302bf2e270d18ac45ae3e12eaaf36.jpg

This is the last bit of welding left on it now and boy is it by far the worst... The passenger rear subframe mount is basically non-existant.

PXL_20260920_133308315.jpg.e453e6436cb6cd2252ee0b7910ed2c15.jpg

But progress is progress! I reckon it'll take probably 6-10 hours to finish it off which is only a day or two. But I do need to move the car before I can tackle this last bit as I've parked it next to the house and there's minimal room to operate.

Did I mention I bought a Volvo?

  • Tommyboy12 changed the title to Tommy's A-series Misery - Back on the Welding
Posted

You have a very understanding wife! I love the VP. Will be good to see how you tackle the mini. They can certainly rust can't they!

Posted

Took the VP to Rustival. It wasn't the only ADO16 present but it was the only Vanden Plas!

PXL_20260926_083015331.jpg.87b9cd98b24944388b4c3635ea86b412.jpg

Went with a couple of friends from my club

PXL_20260926_081907456.jpg.5edc31841abb18c29caf58af16f38518.jpg

Including my very briefly owned 2CV which is already looking considerably less lilac!

PXL_20260926_123441433.jpg.ccb8dfd63d7a9c42f4807044e6efe940.jpg

There were a couple of MG ADO16 variants in attendance

PXL_20260926_111532431.jpg.60aa0e71e453160e5cca7e46659b1c21.jpg

And a very similar Austin 7 RP to mine. He was braver/closer to Gaydon than I was!

PXL_20260926_094741140.jpg.e1ba4b79f9e3bb5885605c198e54bc2d.jpg

Posted
1 hour ago, Tommyboy12 said:

Took the VP to Rustival. It wasn't the only ADO16 present but it was the only Vanden Plas!

PXL_20260926_083015331.jpg.87b9cd98b24944388b4c3635ea86b412.jpg

Went with a couple of friends from my club

PXL_20260926_081907456.jpg.5edc31841abb18c29caf58af16f38518.jpg

Including my very briefly owned 2CV which is already looking considerably less lilac!

PXL_20260926_123441433.jpg.ccb8dfd63d7a9c42f4807044e6efe940.jpg

There were a couple of MG ADO16 variants in attendance

PXL_20260926_111532431.jpg.60aa0e71e453160e5cca7e46659b1c21.jpg

And a very similar Austin 7 RP to mine. He was braver/closer to Gaydon than I was!

PXL_20260926_094741140.jpg.e1ba4b79f9e3bb5885605c198e54bc2d.jpg

What a different look, between yours and the MG!

Posted

The ADO16 really was all things to all men. You could have a utilitarian model in the Morris or Austin 1100/1300, then you could have the sportier models in the MG or Riley 1100/1300, or again you could plump for the luxury of the Wolseley or the top of the range Vanden Plas Princess 1100/1300. Same basic shell, but so many variants, there really was something for everyone!

Posted
12 hours ago, 2flags said:

The ADO16 really was all things to all men.

 

12 hours ago, 2flags said:

Same basic shell, but so many variants, there really was rust for everyone!

Joking aside, 1100/1300 kept parts of my family motoring for years, eventually replaced by Allegros and then Princesses.

Posted
17 hours ago, 2flags said:

The ADO16 really was all things to all men. You could have a utilitarian model in the Morris or Austin 1100/1300, then you could have the sportier models in the MG or Riley 1100/1300, or again you could plump for the luxury of the Wolseley or the top of the range Vanden Plas Princess 1100/1300. Same basic shell, but so many variants, there really was something for everyone!

To top it all off, they are actually really quite pleasant to drive.  I was really quite surprised by how nice the VP now belonging to @LightBulbFun was when I had a loan of it.

Could absolutely see one as a daily driver classic.

  • Like 1
Posted
On 19/09/2026 at 07:40, Tommyboy12 said:

Took the Austin 7 out for spin yesterday. Unfortunately before I had left my village I lost drive. Initially I was concerned it was the clutch. However the prop shaft was still turning. Pushed it home and pulled off the rear hubs. I was greeted by this...

PXL_20260918_155223606.jpg.bc352ea92275f6b45d06492a54cb7f51.jpg

PXL_20260918_155234958.jpg.60f5a167ff29f7901110b8718c1f12ff.jpg

The woodruff has slipped out somehow and the hub and half shaft were chewing each other up. They're meant to be machined and matched and a tapered friction fit. Power isn't transmitted through the woodruff. Unfortunately this means a new half shaft and hub are required. Not expensive but it does mean disassembling the axle to change it. I've put it back together for now so I can move the car around while I sort out parts.

Ouch!

Putting the rough in woodruff!

  • Haha 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...