chaseracer

IT'S OFFICIAL: the 720 is in-build at Sparrow Central!

The Visa Solex is in a bucket of petrol and the new tinware is off to the powder-coaters this week.

1 minute ago, chaseracer said:

IT'S OFFICIAL: the 720 is in-build at Sparrow Central!

The Visa Solex is in a bucket of petrol and the new tinware is off to the powder-coaters this week.

Surely the petrol is meant to go in the carb? Not the carb in the petrol?

• Haha 1

I thought the fuel consumption was a bit heavy... 😁

Deep cleaning, pre-vapour blasting.  When it arrived, it was complete/all good but proper clagged up.  No more.

• chaseracer changed the title to Dyane: more colour - in an unexpected place...
  • chaseracer changed the title to Dyane: 602 is OOT...

In other local Dyane news, Laurence is a glutton for punishment, it seems!

image.png

This moved under its own power yesterday, for the first time in 20+ years.  The engine came out of the original racer circa 1995, and was used in at least one 24-hour race; it will have a check/light rebuild then go back in.

EDIT: Further prodding has revealed a considerable amount of bran flakes where large areas of the chassis used to be.  I think we've found our winter project...

Yes - 9:1 pistons for racing, so Dyane motors were always favourite before the right parts became more easily available to rebuild a 2CV engine to the higher spec.

2CV 602 - CR=8.5:1 (29bhp)

Dyane/Ami8 602 - CR=9:1, with assisted induction from the fan via the tube on the top of the shroud (33/35bhp, depending what you're reading)

Sparrow 720 - block machined to accept larger steel barrels, so CR may be slightly higher; 48bhp running the standard twin-choke carb and cone filter, will be a few more with assisted induction through the Visa 652 Solex.  We'll know more when it's been tested on the rolling road.

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Never knew the Dyane engine was supercharged...

Only in a very loose term. A supercharger actually compresses the air rather than just blowing it around a bit. This is more just a fancy cold air feed.

• 4 months later...

It's been eventful* over the past few months at Sparrow Central, but he's back on track and my 720 is next on the bench.  Things is finally happening!

• chaseracer changed the title to Dyane: back on track...
5 hours ago, chaseracer said:

It's been eventful* over the past few months at Sparrow Central, but he's back on track and my 720 is next on the bench.  Things is finally happening!

It was ever thus. Not sure I know of a busier person than Sparrow. I guess there is a reason for that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • chaseracer changed the title to Dyane: 720 build begins...
  • chaseracer changed the title to Dyane: 720 build nearly complete...

The car itself will go to Hereford in the new year, while the bodywork (door bottom repairs / window seals / new locks) will be done by my mate Spanners near Solihull.  This is convenient, because I need to clear the garage for electrical work on Chaseracer Towers.

It's all starting to happen quite quickly...

• Like 4

• chaseracer changed the title to Dyane: 720 build complete, car now on its hols...

The new engine has been run on the test rig - I saw it yesterday - so now Pete will fit it to the car, complete a fairly short job list (front windows/seals, new shocks, E10 fuel line, sort rear lights) then get a ticket and shake it down for a couple of hundred miles.

• chaseracer changed the title to Dyane: 720 in, new horrors revealed...

Military strategists will tell you: no battle plan survives first contact.  And so it is with work on old cars...

Actually, it ain't that bad.  The new engine's in, but a few small issues have been discovered by Mr Sparrow and his crack team.  A rear wheel bearing was a bit noisy, so has been replaced.  The gearbox had something in it that might once have been EP80; it now has the excellent lube Pete uses in his race car, as well as a new breather.

The big one is this:

image.png

That used to be the sender unit in the top of the fuel tank, which is also full of gunky shit.  Might* explain some* of the running issues.  Replacing tank/sender with new: "do it once, do it right".

image.png