Marm's Motors: Cub + Cub = Cubs

Marm Toastsmith

Eh? You must be doing it wrong. I can't see anything about the part where you spill the used oil all over the drive...? 

• Haha 1

Might be worth lobbing a few ml of Redex or Diptaine or whatever in the tank too.

• Like 1

On 05/06/2024 at 17:36, Ian_Fearn said:

Is the cub 50 classed as a moped on the V5? I.e is it legit for an AM licence holder?

8753E90D-7962-4984-9010-0E026A8435F3.jpeg.7053ca42c36b3c5b78231221fc5621a5.jpeg

Hmm, yeah I don't know what it says on the V5 of older cubs that are allegedly not AM class, so can't be sure.

The V5s I have here for larger bikes including a 125 scooter say taxation class: Bicycle so I'd guess that's what it would say if it's not AM.

@Marm Toastsmith sorry I didn’t mean to derail this thread……

@Dave_Q I’ve found the C90 forum I think you mentioned. Looks like the DVLA list any 50cc bike as a moped but then it all depends if the bike has a plate that states 30mph and was registered during those dates shown below. 

IMG_0426.jpeg.1df56880267325e7dd9a535a03301abf.jpeg

IMG_0428.jpeg.06935cd4ed88e5dbcc95f25aa50b4cb6.jpeg
IMG_0429.jpeg.933285ca30db632b6605b4d512ce73ef.jpeg

I’m guessing this bike doesn’t carry the moped plate???

1 hour ago, Ian_Fearn said:

@Marm Toastsmith sorry I didn’t mean to derail this thread……

@Dave_Q I’ve found the C90 forum I think you mentioned. Looks like the DVLA list any 50cc bike as a moped but then it all depends if the bike has a plate that states 30mph and was registered during those dates shown below. 

IMG_0426.jpeg.1df56880267325e7dd9a535a03301abf.jpeg

IMG_0428.jpeg.06935cd4ed88e5dbcc95f25aa50b4cb6.jpeg
IMG_0429.jpeg.933285ca30db632b6605b4d512ce73ef.jpeg

I’m guessing this bike doesn’t carry the moped plate???

It's a Japanese market bike, so no.

Back on topic: It's definitely running better since I've tinkered with it. Not noticeably smoky any more, and seems quicker. Had the speedo well off the scale earlier, I reckon 40 is achievable. I feel it would do more with longer gearing, too.

Audi wipers seems to be fixed for now. Clip was fiddly to fit due to access and needed minor modification to fit. The instructions on the ebay listing suggested fit to balljoint 1st and then slide the arm under, I didn't manage this but it slid on OK in one go with the wiper assembly already popped together.

Looking at the picture vs the instructions I wonder whether it should be pushed further on but it seems to be holding things in place. If I was keeping the car long term I'd replace the whole linkage but to tell the truth I've fallen out of love with the car, and the Berlingo is more practical anyway.

So, there'll be a for sale ad soon!

IMG_3609.jpeg

IMG_8562.png

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's Motors: DISASTEROUS EVENTS

On Wednesday I rode the C50 into town and back. The next day I realised I couldn't find the key. I still can't find the fucking key. It's not in my trousers or my jacket, or my helmet, or my gloves. It's not in the lock. It's not in the garage. It's not in the bowl of keys.

Getting a spare key was on my to do list but I didn't do it.

I remember taking the key out of the ignition when I got home and I probably used it to chain it up.

Oh ffs.

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Marm Toastsmith said:

On Wednesday I rode the C50 into town and back. The next day I realised I couldn't find the key. I still can't find the fucking key. It's not in my trousers or my jacket, or my helmet, or my gloves. It's not in the lock. It's not in the garage. It's not in the bowl of keys.

Getting a spare key was on my to do list but I didn't do it.

I remember taking the key out of the ignition when I got home and I probably used it to chain it up.

Oh ffs.

Laundry basket? 

Trouser pocket? 

DAMHIK. 

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's Motors: VARADONTGO

Lots has been happening.

---

I managed to get the helmet lock off the Cub (tank out, fairly easy once I'd worked out how the fuel line clipped together) and got a code so have ordered a replacement key. Fingers crossed.

Also wiped it over with an oily rag, much better.

---

I drove the Audi for the first time in ages yesterday, the battery had gone flat so I jump started and then charged it. It's nice to drive and the wipers still work. I might hold off selling it until the results are in on the Berlingo MOT.

---

Having got the battery charger out I decided to charge the Varadero battery and have another go at starting it. With some fresh fuel in the (rusty) tank... nothing happened. Checked for a spark - all good. Plugs weren't petrolly so I'm pretty sure fuel's not getting through.

Needs tank off, cleaned, etc then I'm sure it will run. But I've decided I CBA, - it's not really my thing -  it's overblown and overcomplicated for what it is, heavier than a 125 needs to be, and everything's hidden under a bloody plastic panel. I'm going to buy something else that I like more and which works. Ad coming soon - actually I might try an eBay auction to just get shot because I'd rather have the space back.

It's in one piece at least, tomorrow I'm going to clean it up a bit and take some photos.

IMG_4003.jpeg

D5047C39-4CB2-4680-8368-E2C4034EB9D0.jpeg

IMG_8658.jpeg

IMG_8660.jpeg

IMG_3996.jpeg

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's Motors: Cub + Cub = Cubs

The Varadero sold locally to a very nice man last Friday. With money burning a hole in my pocket I did the only sensible thing and yesterday bought the bike I really wanted, a C90 I'd seen on the club forum. It's a late one, very low mileage and recently serviced/recommissioned with new tyres etc. and a new Givi top box. It wasn't exactly cheap by my standards but I've been looking for a decent cheap C90 for 20 years and not managed to find one.

This one is at about the right point between tidy and scruffy, plenty of room to improve but equally I'm not going to worry about it getting worse. It hasn't been giffered or badly restored, but it has some nice signs of age.

Just took it for a spin, filled the tank (£3). It's fab. Nothing I don't like about it, planning to keep it until I die, hoping to have some adventures on it some day.

Part of me wondered whether Friday the 13th was the correct day for a shakedown ride, well a strange thing happened - I felt something bump against the side of my face while riding along - when I got back and took my helmet off I realised there was some kind of flying insect buried in my n/s sideburn. A wasp as it happened. Amazingly still alive, it didn't sting me until I tried to remove it. Ouch.

Still, in a way quite lucky that it didn't sting me on the face while I was riding along!

IMG_4469.jpeg