Ford Fiesta Help pleeeeeeeeeeeease!

Wingz123

26 minutes ago, GingerNuttz said:

Yeah deffo a strange one, really you would need someone who can read live data to pinpoint the issue.

P1934 is a speed sensor code too so would be worth changing to see if it fixes it 

Yes but elaborate on that mate. There is no single speed sensor on tdci's only the petrols and there is a clear how2 guide on YouTube. This does indeed involve the pin @sierraman refers to above. I can confirm that the only electrical connection going into this gearbox is the reverse switch which I had out and cleaned up above. I have had the car jacked up this way, and that way and even removed the passengerside gearbox mount thinking that might have been obscuring an electrical connection. But when I removed there was nothing there!

The speed is pulled from the 4x abs sensors and if one of them was at fault you'd expect to see the abs light on....

This is why it doesn't make sense....

33 minutes ago, Rod/b said:

You know the fault codes could have nothing to do with the loss of power though right Wingz? 

You are indeed quite right but this has been ongoing for sometime so my attempts to fix those that fall under mechanical I.e do not bring an error code up have amounted to....

Replace fuel filter thinking that was blocked - fresh one fitted, no difference made

New EGR valve purchased and fitted - no difference made

Turbo inspected - by this I mean for play in the shaft. There is nothing. Shaft is perfect. 

Prior to this the car had been used regularly on motorway commutes so it was not as if it had just been used to nip a mile here, mile there. Would return 60+mpg. When they're running right they're great. When they go wrong who bloody knows!

MAF sensor not replaced this.....but then you'd expect a fault code.....and I'm not prepared to throw a new one on as process of elimination....

What the heck else is there to try!? 

14 minutes ago, Wingz123 said:

You are indeed quite right but this has been ongoing for sometime so my attempts to fix those that fall under mechanical I.e do not bring an error code up have amounted to....

Replace fuel filter thinking that was blocked - fresh one fitted, no difference made

New EGR valve purchased and fitted - no difference made

Turbo inspected - by this I mean for play in the shaft. There is nothing. Shaft is perfect. 

Prior to this the car had been used regularly on motorway commutes so it was not as if it had just been used to nip a mile here, mile there. Would return 60+mpg. When they're running right they're great. When they go wrong who bloody knows!

MAF sensor not replaced this.....but then you'd expect a fault code.....and I'm not prepared to throw a new one on as process of elimination....

What the heck else is there to try!? 

Webuyanycar.com

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wingz123 said:

Not necessarily, years ago our petrol Zafira went through a period of randomly losing power and going into limp mode. It never threw up a code for the maf, but that is what it turned out to be. We did work our way through any stored codes first though.

2 hours ago, Rod/b said:

Webuyanycar.com

Its the mrs car, I have been on and on and on and on at her to buy something decent and Japanese. Its chasing crap like this throwing money at this that and then the next thing that I cant stand. 

Remember that red yaris I sold on here frickin ages ago? I ended up selling to my next door neighbour. He has had it for about 18 months, used it every single day and NOT SPENT A PENNY ON IT!!!!! In fact i lie - Went straight through another MOT. He replaced 2x wiper blades about a month ago as the rubber had become dry. 

Where in the country are you? It would be well worth getting a proper diagnostic auto spark on it rather than guessing at components based on a couple of spurious fault codes. 

1 hour ago, Rod/b said:

Where in the country are you? It would be well worth getting a proper diagnostic auto spark on it rather than guessing at components based on a couple of spurious fault codes. 

Reading bud  ?

Has anyone said crank sensor yet? I had one fail on a punto, the injection system would shut off as it thought the engine wasn’t running. No fault codes as the ecu didn’t think there was a fault, just that the engine had stopped. 

That's why i asked if the cluster/radio died when the car did as I've repaired a few clusters on the MK3 and 4 Mondeos that have had broken solder joints on the plug connector 

8 hours ago, sierraman said:

I still think that this could be an instrument cluster issue, you can have them tested. 

I hear you its just everything works and has never not worked. Never got that dotted line I have read about where the mileage would be displayed. Speedo has never not worked. I was thinking of going through each abs sensor and measuring the resistance on each to see what they are saying......!?? Would that help!?

5 hours ago, GingerNuttz said:

That's why i asked if the cluster/radio died when the car did as I've repaired a few clusters on the MK3 and 4 Mondeos that have had broken solder joints on the plug connector 

Never had a problem with the cluster or radio!!

OK cleared all codes on the engine module and the one that comes back immediately and sets off the 'engine system fault' on the dash is the following.....

Ignore the fact it is displaying as a 1.4 tdci bizarrely there is no option of choosing the 1.6 tdci.....

20200721_120539.thumb.jpg.e00e8fc24457cffc52a387ddcab17886.jpg

Screenshot_20200721-121015_Google.thumb.jpg.58cf4f16a2d7f2c0f0f6c7483b67069c.jpg

3 minutes ago, Rod/b said:

Have you checked the ones you have are duff first? 

I'm going to check each one for resistance. Apparently they should all measure as close as dammit to 1ohm. But being what this is the glow plugs are right down the back and horrible to access. Looks like you go up from underneath....

So I have measured 3 out of the 4 glow plugs and every one is measuring resistance higher than 200ohms. I.e meaning they a knackered. The 4th is ny on impossible to get onto with my voltmeter with where it is located so we will assume that too is knackered. So ill be changing all 4....

I bloody hope this shuts the thing up then!! 

My voltmeter displays like this when the resistance is too high. Setting was set to 200ohm on the resistance setting on the  voltmeter 

20200721_155139.thumb.jpg.d03645704087ebb772100716a70c27ed.jpg

1 minute ago, Rod/b said:

Why would the glow plugs affect running at 70 on the motorway though? They’re only on when the engine is cold. 

My point entirely

1 hour ago, Rod/b said:

Hang on how were you checking resistance? Did you have the plugs out? Your meter is showing no resistance. 

Negative wire on the nut and positive wire on the end of the glowplug. My voltmeter is such that it displays like that if the resistance is more than the max setting I have it set to on the voltmeter. In this case 200ohms

Touch the wires together and you get 0.2 ohms of resistance which is normal

22 hours ago, AdeMk1 said:

The VSS on the MTX75 should be above the O/S driveshaft output on the gearbox casing , it measures the rotation speed of the driveshaft output.

tdci's don't have them only the petrols. Tdcis pull speed from the two abs sensors on the front. I also spent over an hour nearly two with the car........ooooh all mentioned above.....