Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

The wifey's just phoned and, going by her description, it sounds like the brake servo isn't working on her alfa. I told her to switch off the engine, press the brake pedal, restart the engine to see if the pedal drops. It didn't.

What was the symptom your wife reported?

What was the symptom your wife reported?

Brakes not working properly. I asked if the pedal was going to the floor but no, it was very firm and not moving much at all.

Tomorrow's job will be to investigate further.

Yeah, vacuum line to the servo leaking/clogged/disconnected.  Especially if it's happened suddenly.

If it is gradual, the servo cylinder might have a worn seal, letting brake fluid ooze into the servo, reducing its efficiency.  But that is very gradual and hard to notice.

yeah you can get a cleaning and repelant kit , spray on and scuff with a soft brush to get it clean , then cover the paint and mist on some repelant stuff to make the water bead up 

• Like 1

I've always cleaned my soft tops with whatever I wash the car with and a soft brush then once a year painted with tent proofing stuff. Fabasil? Plumbers silicon grease on the seals as well, keeps them supple and the water beading helps them seal.

• Like 1

What's good glue for fixing driving mirrors back on to windscreens?  The mirror on the Audi fell off this morning when my pal went to adjust it;  I've stuck it back with trim tape for now but it vibrates more than you'd like.  

I've had limited success with Araldite in the past... Sikaflex?

My (K11) Micra has seen fit to empty its expansion tank of coolant.

No signs of water in the oil, and no obvious signs of a leaking pipe/join. One thing I did notice is that when I have the blower on warm, for the first 15 or so seconds there is a warm/burning smell.

What gives?

You might (might) have 2 separate problems here. The second one might be a damaged or stuck fan, which overheats because it's stuck, then frees itself after a few seconds so that it runs properly but blows a "burning" smell out of the vents for a bit thereafter. WD 40 might assist here....

The other problem is a leak of some kind, from somewhere. If there's no water in the oil or vice versa and the temperature gauge isn't doing silly things, the weeping pipes or clips would be a good place to start to search out problems. Another place to investigate is the expansion tank itself; if it's split the coolant will spray out over the engine as a mist, so you won't see anything when it's turned off. I had this problem many years ago with  Skoda Favorit & it took ages to track it down. If it is this it's an easy do.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

What's good glue for fixing driving mirrors back on to windscreens? The mirror on the Audi fell off this morning when my pal went to adjust it; I've stuck it back with trim tape for now but it vibrates more than you'd like.

I've had limited success with Araldite in the past... Sikaflex?

The glue with the bit of mesh stuck between works ok. Sold at halfords.

Took the gearbox off the C4 to replace the clutch (and to find out I'd ordered the wrong one) and the gearbox input shaft bearing was also missing, I say missing it was spread around the inside of the box.

I've ordered a new one and the correct clutch but does anyone know of an exploded type diagram of the box? HBOL is no help and I just want to make sure I don't miss anything. 

Citroen C4 2004 1.4 pez.

I was sure that said output.... The MA is the only one that doesn't have a stack of shims on the input shaft,, so if that's yours then ok. If the gearbox wasn't grinding before then it should be ok (I only have experience of RWD gearboxes with a separate input shaft, usually if this bearing goes then it wears the gears out pronto but I presume as it's all one shaft things might be different.)

It did, I changed it before anyone else noticed  :-P

It is an MA apparently.

I bought it pre-borked the clutch had gone so I picked it up for £250.

The gearbox has breaker markings so been replaced before and of these two parts: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191433881645?euid=03d5fd1fd7ba4bb180a97e2cd6494511&cp=1

and the thrust bearings there was very little left other than a few shards and ball bearings embedded in the case. 

The shaft seems fine but can be wiggled a little but seems fine, I presume this is down the detonated bearing.

Those gearboxes are prone to bearing failures and I have re-built a few. I use these guys as they are just up the road. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-207-1-4-HDi-5-speed-MA-gearbox-genuine-bearing-oil-seal-rebuild-kit-/121171112083?hash=item1c365c7093:m:mIT6DGzIAzEsfNz3eV46mpA.

They pressed the new bearings on for me as well as I took the shafts and diff in. If you haven;t driven it before doing the clutch you can be sure it was noisey as fuck in 1st 2nd and third. The last one I did was my 1007 which the muppet I bought it from insisted was quiet, even though when I got it apart the front bearing fell to bits.

It's for the old man so I'm not too bothered. The boxes are pretty cheap second hand (seen them from £35) so if it is noisy I might just replace it.

My friend has a Xantia HDi 90 that he likes. He recently bought an HDi 110 spares car and wants to upgrade the 90 to 110 spec. What does he need to do other than swap the intercooler and gubbins over? Are the injectors different?

Umm, not sure, if it has a BSI then you he'd have to swap, umm, everything, but I can't remember if Xantias were ever mux, I suspect not (can't find a BSI in the parts diagrams) so it might just* be plug and play.

• Like 1

The replacement rear spring for the Oldsmobile has finally arrived (from Canada) at Royal Mail office in Preston. Today I got an invoice from RM for Customs and import charges before it can be delivered. Fair enough, was expecting to pay the usual VAT rate etc, but the bill is for £136!. £112 VAT plus sundry charges. WTF?

£112 is 50% of the purchase price! Can that be correct? All other parts (from the USA, not Canada) have been either free or 20% VAT over a certain value.

No number to call and Royal Mail will not enter into any discussions about import VAT naturally.

A form is available from HMRC to query charges, but that won't be quick. Guess I will just have to stump up the cash in order to release the spring, but...

Anyone any idea if imported car parts from Canada attract silly VAT rates?

Ta.

duty as well ?

Yes, duty as well. Total charge was £136. Am just wondering why the VAT charge alone was £112.

The part cost £230.

Ring HMRC and tell them to FRO...well a bit more politely. What's the itemisation of the bill?

I'd be very wary overpaying and hoping of getting anything back

Update.

Itemisation of bill is:

Customs duty £16.35

Import VAT £112.27

Clearance fee £8.00

Found a number to ring, so rang it. It transpires that the VAT duty is actually 20% and has been over valued by someone. They appear to have probably read the purchase price in Canadian Dollars rather than GBP and charged VAT accordingly. Two options remain according to HMRC.

Pay up, fill in a form to reclaim the overcharged amount.

Or

Refuse payment and have it returned to sender.

Really?

Have paid up as no choice given that I want the part, plus sent off the form complete with proof of purchase price etc.

What a faff.

I haven't dealt with HMRC in years, as I've more recently been dealing the Irish Revenue, but it's all EU and works out like this (having looked up HMRC bits):

Your goods will be taxed either depending on value of goods only, or fully landed cost (value of goods + shipping + insurance).

Tax is made up of the following, not all which will apply: [A) Customs Duty + B ) Excise Duty] and then on top of those two C) VAT. (Occasionally
Anti-Dumping Duty and/or Countervailing Duty are also imposed, but we won't worry about that)

A) Customs Duty, that'll be worked out depending on the TARIC code of the item.

B ) Excise Duty, don't really need to worry about that either as it's more for booze, fags, perfume & pez.

c) VAT, usually at standard rate of 20%.

To find out the Customs Duty, look up the TARIC code, I think a car rear leaf spring comes under 87 08 80 9900. and has a Customs Duty rate of 3.5%. Based on the fully landed cost, if the Customs Duty works out less than £9 it will be disregarded.

Given it that element was £16.35, I worked out (in reverse) that the fully landed cost: £467(!), and that doesn't tally with the VAT charged....

So looking at the VAT charge of £112.27, the FLC + Customs Duty = £561.35. Less 16.35 Customs Duty = £545 (From that I work out Customs Duty rate used was 3.0%) I find this odd, given that even under the other classification numbers for leaf springs https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff/headings/7320, the Customs Duty is 2.7% (?????)

Anyway, going back from £545 and given the supposed mix up, was the price including shipping, etc. 545 CAD?

If it was, then I can work out what it should of been...

• Like 1