LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

On 25/09/2024 at 11:44, Datsuncog said:

I don't think this has cropped up on this thread previously - but speaking of priests and invalid cars, Paddy Hopkirk reckoned he learned the basics of rallying while raking his first car, a 1922 Harding with the Co. Down registration IJ9670, around a nearby private estate. It had been left to him in the will of the local priest. He was nine at the time.

The One That Got Away: Paddy Hopkirk’s first car

"The Harding was made in Bath; it had a 250cc side valve JAP engine, a three-speed motorcycle gearbox and tiller steering. I had no idea what rallying even was back then, but I was interested in cars and mechanics so to actually get my hands on something that I could drive was exciting.

I got permission to drive it round the dirt roads of a nearby private estate. The brakes only worked on the rear wheels so it used to skid, that’s how I learned about car control and how to make handbrake turns.

When kids learn to ride a bicycle they think it’s great, they go too fast and knock their teeth out. Well, I didn’t want to do that with this car, my first car, because it was wonderful. I’ve had very few crashes in my life, if any, I’m lucky I’m not very good at it.

I drove it on the road once, with my elder brother who had a licence. We didn’t go very far and it only did about 30mph – it had a very unreliable air-cooled engine. Of course, I became quite a good mechanic because it used to break down a lot. I learned how to rebuild it and therefore learned a lot about the engineering of cars."

1922 Harding owned by Paddy Hopkirk

He lost interest in it once he started on motorbikes, and it was believed to have been taken away for scrap around the time of a house move in the mid-1940s - but much later he followed a lead and tracked the same car down in London, disassembled, where he then had it built it up and restored by friends and course tutors from a motor engineering charity he worked with.

Paddy Hopkirk's first car was a Harding

After some charity runs, Hopkirk's Harding was then kept at the British Motor Museum at Gaydon (though I can't find a current listing for it in their collections catalogue).

The One That Got Away: Paddy Hopkirk’s first car | Hagerty UK

This was literally the first exhibit on display on floor 1 of the collections building today at Gaydon.

PXL_20240928_093022791.jpg

PXL_20240928_092940374.jpg

PXL_20240928_093050437.jpg

PXL_20240928_093042181.jpg

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, barefoot said:

Don't forget that he bought a Leyland Roadrunner and bet everyone a tenner that he'd be able to drive it on 2 wheels like in the advert within 12 months. 

Wasn't there some sort of concern over guns as well?

I vaguely remember comments by @DodgeRover (?)

5 minutes ago, R Lutz said:

Without wading through the 15 pages of bantz which is appearing on this thread daily, is there a back-on-the-road date yet? 

@LightBulbFun have you got insurance and the like arranged? 

Why are you so keen to organise my life? You asked a week ago, and I told you it would be 2 or 3 weeks. That may change depending on when my neighbours funeral is, but that is nothing to do with you.

It is also nothing to do with you regarding insurance, but for information Dez has kept it taxed and insured throughout and when in my care it is also covered on my trade policy.

So, now it is your turn to contribute something positive to this forum for a change. What interesting car do you have? If non, what are you planning on getting? If not what do you dream of getting. What are you doing to make those dreams a reality.

Come on. Hurry up. We are waiting on you.

See? It is not nice is it?

15 minutes ago, chadders said:

Wasn't there some sort of concern over guns as well?

I vaguely remember comments by @DodgeRover (?)

Yea he frequently mentioned he had (or had had) a firearms certificate, then posted up a shot with what appeared to be 2 x 9mm pistols on the wheel of the Stolly.

Firearms and mental illness don't go together and I contacted his local firearms licensing officer.

• Thanks 2

For five minutes, putting all arguments aside, is it really correct and not some very sick wind up that through peoples ' words and or actions on here they have ended up being sectioned and or in accidents, and or taken their own lives?  

10 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

Why are you so keen to organise my life? You asked a week ago, and I told you it would be 2 or 3 weeks. That may change depending on when my neighbours funeral is, but that is nothing to do with you.

It is also nothing to do with you regarding insurance, but for information Dez has kept it taxed and insured throughout and when in my care it is also covered on my trade policy.

So, now it is your turn to contribute something positive to this forum for a change. What interesting car do you have? If non, what are you planning on getting? If not what do you dream of getting. What are you doing to make those dreams a reality.

Why not ask those questions of our new friend who turned up stamping his feet? 

Or, indeed, me? I’ve made enough noise after all. 

Why not volley some rage at Talbot?

Valid questions were valid. 

1 minute ago, OhNoWhatHaveIDone said:

For five minutes, putting all arguments aside, is it really correct and not some very sick wind up that through peoples ' words and or actions on here they have ended up being sectioned and or in accidents, and or taken their own lives?  

Fuck off.

• Agree 4

5 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Or, indeed, me? I’ve made enough noise after all. 

Yeah, but you bought a hippo and started a crowdfunder for some Renault 20 tyres and a cake.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, MrGTI6 said:

Oh good. The battle for the last word continues... 

If you're referring to me I asked a legitimate question

If you're referring to me I asked a legitimate question

No you didn't. You have misinterpreted a post and are using it to cast judgement on a community you do not understand. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, reb said:

No you didn't. You have misinterpreted a post and are using it to cast judgement on a community you do not understand. 

Well I didn't misinterpret your 'fuck off' I gave it the attention it deserved, none.    I asked a legitimate question, something above your education grade 

12 minutes ago, OhNoWhatHaveIDone said:

You have twisted that beyond belief, which is why you deserved the "fuck off".

People were not bullied into these circumstances.  This forum is just an internet forum, but it's one where a lot of folk gather who have known each other, online and IRL for a very long time.  There is a vast resource of support for everyone, mental and mechanical, some of which is why and how currently LBFs car is being sorted.  And yes, we've lost some people along the way and they're dearly missed.  Part of the context you're missing is that Reb's dad is one who we all respected and lost. Which you'd have known if you came in as a member not a crusader.

You've come out of the blue, tried to raise hell and made an arse of yourself.  Sit down, shut up, and let someone pour you a beer.  I suggest you try to engage constructively outside of this thread before you find yourself banned, cause at this rate it's inevitable.

Just now, OhNoWhatHaveIDone said:

Well I didn't misinterpret your 'fuck off' I have it the attention it deserved, none.    I asked a legitimate question, something above your education grade 

I don't think someone with the grammar of a 12 year old should be casting aspersions on someone's level of education. Fucking clown.

• Agree 3

Just now, reb said:

I don't think someone with the grammar of a 12 year old should be casting aspersions on someone's level of education. Fucking clown.

I don't know how you worked that one out? Either way you're boring me now....

18 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

Rise above it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, OhNoWhatHaveIDone said:

Sober today are we?  I'll stay where I am.... Is that reply ok? @NorthernMonkey

Yep…in fact, it’s probably your most constructive to date.

Keep up the good work 👍

3 minutes ago, loserone said:

You have twisted that beyond belief, which is why you deserved the "fuck off".

People were not bullied into these circumstances.  This forum is just an internet forum, but it's one where a lot of folk gather who have known each other, online and IRL for a very long time.  There is a vast resource of support for everyone, mental and mechanical, some of which is why and how currently LBFs car is being sorted.

You've come out of the blue, tried to raise hell and made an arse of yourself.  Sit down, shut up, and let someone pour you a beer.  I suggest you try to engage constructively outside of this thread before you find yourself banned, cause at this rate it's inevitable.

Legitimate question, end of....

Internet forum, yes, TOXIC one....

Folks have to join up from somewhere, and God help them, 

I've not raised hell, I've been treated like shit for standing up for myself, I don't take crap from anyone, that's how it is.  I've been called all effin sorts, it doesn't wash with me,  if you give it out I give it back!

Keep your beer it's probably poisoned!

• Haha 4

If you're against bullying and care about people with mental health problems, why are you being abusive towards someone who has communication issues and severe mental health issues?

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, NorthernMonkey said:

Yep…in fact, it’s probably your most constructive to date.

Keep up the good work 👍

What are the doing about others abusive posts??? Who else has had warnings!? Because there are lots of members who have said far worse than me

21 minutes ago, OhNoWhatHaveIDone said:

OK I'll bite and try to give a polite reply.

Stollyboy came on here with big and unwise ideas rather like Dez driving a Model 70 in London traffic. People who tried to discourage him were shot down and silenced by members and staff. He ended up being sectioned. We don't want to see something similar happening to Dez.

The suicide was nothing to do with comments on here.

3 minutes ago, reb said:

If you're against bullying and care about people with mental health problems, why are you being abusive towards someone who has communication issues and severe mental health issues?

You lost me about 5 miles back there, who are you referring to exactly what allegedly this time am I saying that is abusive? Pot, kettle, black etc....

You lost me about 5 miles back there, who are you referring to exactly what allegedly this time am I saying that is abusive? Pot, kettle, black etc....

Yes, Black is my name. Amazing.

Do you think that implying someone is an alcoholic multiple times is a kind thing to do?

Just now, reb said:

Yes, Black is my name. Amazing.

Do you think that implying someone is an alcoholic multiple times is a kind thing to do?

I fucking love your Wonderful Life single. 

16 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Rise above it. 

Thank you. I was getting rather annoyed at the direction this thread has gone of late and had just typed a long reply. It is pointless, those who are causing the problems will continue. The sound people will not get involved and will stay quiet. Just a shame that Dez' thread has been hijacked for personal squabbles.

1 minute ago, warren t claim said:

OK I'll bite and try to give a polite reply.

Stollyboy came on here with big and unwise ideas rather like Dez driving a Model 70 in London traffic. People who tried to discourage him were shot down and silenced by members and staff. He ended up being sectioned. We don't want to see something similar happening to Dez.

The suicide was nothing to do with comments on here.

I appreciate your answer, I do, but why do you have to use it as a way to have a poke at Dez and what he wants to do?

Honestly, just taking a step back, this guy is really intelligent,he's fully compus mentus, he would be doing nothing illegal, and although I don't have the pleasure of living in (central) London from what I can imagine, the road speeds would be under 20mph due to restrictions and congestion..... suitable for an invacar..... A city car,  I know there is far far more traffic now but the Invacar is only doing what it would do when current...... But yes there are risks, there are risks with everything, you could get out of bed and break your leg of stay in bed and get a DVT....sometimes you just have to do it!

No one as you say, wants anything to happen to Dez but the way some of it has been gone about and about his and other invacars, it is a free country after all is shameful.