One Shite in Bangkok - '89 Corolla.

Guest Conan

Guest Conan

post-26170-0-35001600-1551685755_thumb.jpg

Here is a reference of what the car looks like 3 years ago.

I have to say the project is on hold because I've just been offered another set of wheels for use.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm back now.  :lol:

I know I haven't really been active in the past few weeks but you didn't have to delete my account!  :P

This thread haven't got much updates either. Toyota is that reliable. But I did only put 1,500km on it in the last 3 months.

I have changed the rear springs because they were actually from a Carina II which is why in every single picture prior it's a bit tall at the back. I discovered this when I suddenly went into a corner too quickly and the rear end steps out. I did quite like the 205 GTi-ness of the handling but that was not correct. Now that the spring is correct to the car it is much less twitchy.

Proceed as usual.

I'm back now. :lol:

I know I haven't really been active in the past few weeks but you didn't have to delete my account! :P

This thread haven't got much updates either. Toyota is that reliable. But I did only put 1,500km on it in the last 3 months.

I have changed the rear springs because they were actually from a Carina II which is why in every single picture prior it's a bit tall at the back. I discovered this when I suddenly went into a corner too quickly and the rear end steps out. I did quite like the 205 GTi-ness of the handling but that was not correct. Now that the spring is correct to the car it is much less twitchy.

Proceed as usual.

I think to celebrate your return we might need a few more pictures of it.

I think to celebrate your return we might need a few more pictures of it.

post-27681-0-72796700-1554304098_thumb.jpg

Here you go.

post-27681-0-18974800-1554304355_thumb.jpg

Have this as well, from a few months prior. First time I manage to buddy park it. With the W124 it was much easier. But that's what you get for using shite car to commute in opulent area.

Excellent to see you back Conan, and great to see the Corolla is still going strong.

As I am now also a Corolla owner, I have a couple questions.

What Toyota is the upgraded wiper stalk from? I would like to fit one too.

What can you tell me about dashboard binnacles? I see you have the 7 gauge cluster fitted which looks very nice, but all I want is to swap my 3 gauge with a 4 gauge (add a tachometer) and I believe there are a few different types.

The stalk came imported somewhere I think. Fairly common item for Corolla. One from a Hilux appears to be the same so they might work but I can't say for sure. As long as you don't go for one with factory foglights capability you probably won't be paying much for this at all.

There are 4 types of cluster for this generation of Corolla. The basic 3 gauges one which is what you have. The one with extra gauge (which is what you want). 7 pod cluster is from a GTi which is not particularly rare but you'll need to move the radio downward. The Pièce De Résistance is the digital dash which only came on a TEMS (adjustable suspension) equipped cars, hens teeth, some people will buy an entire car just for this cluster.

The availability I only know of them locally. But I know plenty of people are selling these cluster for cheap (apart from digital one). I'm not sure if the basic 3 pods has the wiring for rev counter already (I would assume it doesn't). My car went from 4 gauges to 7 gauges requiring all the additional pods to be wired, but it wasn't difficult or costly here.

I reckon IF the basic gauge doesn't come with rev counter wiring at least you don't need additional sensors for them, unlike the bigger upgrades.

There's a few variation of each type. Consisting usually of 8000 or 9000rpm, 180km/h or 240km/h, MPH or KM/H (surprisingly, RHD 7 podscluster in MPH is very well sought after because it's pretty much UK GTi only).

I'll add info if I can think of more.  :)

The trouble is I don't know how easy it is to source those in the land down unda.

Thanks for the advice, if the wiper stalk is just a generic old Toyota item than I can see a breakers yard visit in the future.

What I know about instrument clusters is that there are two types of 4 gauge clusters, early ones with black dials and late ones with grey dials. 4 gauge clusters are interchangeable with 3 gauge cluster but you need to change like for like, grey for grey, black for black. The issue is black 4 gauge clusters are very rare as they were only fitted to CSX spec cars which are the rarest (SE & CS got 3 dials and SX got 7 dials, facelift CS cars got 4 dials but these are the grey non- compatible ones).

Bugger. As I said, these type of cluster is very common over here.

post-27681-0-06136700-1554378948_thumb.jpg

Totally not a tease for how common they are! Get them all day long for nothing. A shame that shipping these over would be A LOT of money without guarantee it'll arrive safely. (Opportunity for epic shitely post?)

I hope you all the luck in finding those rare CSX instead.

Now you are just showing off :)

I definitely think a breakers yard visit is in order, thankfully these Corollas are still very common in yards, and on the road for that matter.

My other problem with parts is my interior colour, I have NEVER seen another one with a brown interior and I will be up shit creek if I damage any of the interior trim.

This is because the cluster is not for 4A-GE. The optimal shift point is when needle goes past the bottom.  :P (GTi cluster would have 240km/h and 9000rpm).

I have never seen a BROWN interior either! I don't think they're a hot item in retrofit scene. People prefer red ones more.