imiev - the first electric shite?

txe4

If this French company gets its act together, could be not too far away from the £5k ev conversion, which isn't pennies - but isn't also Harry Metcalfe levels of unaffordability.

(French folk doing electric conversion - WCPGW!)

• 1 month later...

It's broken :-(

Either the on-board charger, the DC-DC converter, or both. Fault codes for both. Drives but won't charge.

This was always the risk - it's probably too tired to be worth paying to have it trailered to someone who can fix it, paying to fix it, then getting it back again.

Ah well, it's been a great and faithful car for several years. Bit stuck now.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a fiasco. I had the board fixed (£1150) and then something else broke. Expensive.

I've bought a Smart ForFour EV and the faithful old iMiev is here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334493389361

We've never had another car we enjoyed as much as the iMiev and I'm not sure we'll ever have anything as delightfully simple, honest, and efficient again. No tears - it's just a machine - but sad day.

IDK, I've had two offers of £750 within a few minutes of listing.

WBAC is north of £2k, with the cosmetic stuff declared...and they'd probably not notice the cables missing, which is another ebay £200 or so... but no doubt they will cut their offer in half when they actually see it, and if I turn them down then I have to limp the thing down to them and back home again. It cut out on the Mrs while turning right across an A-road with the kids in the back, which is why it's leaving the household.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225000591235 got almost 3 grand for a broken one quite recently, dahn sarf

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275282095818 got £1300 for one that was actually working, just had been pointlessly dumped and left to rot (grrr what a tit), but in the wilds of Scotland.

My gut says £1500 is about right. Chance of £2k if people get carried away, chance of £900 if I'm unlucky. 

I think if WBAC comes out at £1300 or more than I'll take it, to not have to deal with dickheads, not upset the neighbours with loads of shit cars outside, and to have a nice simple "insurance ends on car 1, insurance starts on car 2" arrangement. I'll feel not-too-bad about it if I get back the £1150 I just pissed up the wall on repairs plus a bit.

I'll do a Smart ForFour EQ thread in modernz once I've had it a bit. I think it's as near to a Miev as you can get new: rare, 4 seats, RWD, shit range, rear seats fold flat and you can get a fridge in even though it's tiny.

9 hours ago, wuvvum said:

The cutting out thing it does - is it just a case of switching it off and on again and away you go, or is there more to it than that?

Switch off, remove key, open door, close door, wait a moment, restart.

Payment from WBAC has cleared. "You transferred your car to a motor trader" email from DVLA has come.

Charging cable has sold.

Huge palaver changing the insurance over - new car not registered, not in system; in the end it got done, and they decided that the premium would be increased by seventy pence(!) which they wrote off on the spot. The phone call must have cost them more than all the profit on a £200 policy.