Junkyard Jewels NI Easter Monday 2018

They_all_do_that_sir

And turning 90 degrees to our right...

That's right kids, more cars.

Note the comprehensive* approach to customer aftercare advertised.

20180402_093324.jpg

Right at the back... a rather tragic-looking Rover P4, of uncertain identity and even more uncertain destiny.

20180402_113546.jpg

20180402_093324 (4).jpg

In front, an Austin Cambridge Farina with frilly sills. Something tells me this might be the Banger Boys' favourite corner, this one.

20180402_113539.jpg

20180402_093324 (3).jpg

DTC351E (Lancashire, June 1967)

DTC351E - Austin Cambridge.png

And in front of that, a Ford Cortina Mk2 that looks like it may also be structurally challenged:

20180402_113500.jpg

20180402_113526.jpg

KDK974F Ford Cortina.png

KDK974F, a March '68 car from Rochdale, now dropping various bits of itself on a Tyrone driveway.

20180402_113533.jpg

20180402_113517.jpg

20180402_113627.jpg

20180402_113500.jpg

Avid Cortina apologist though I am, even I reckon this one hangs in the balance. There's going to be a bit of structural welding needed here, from the looks of things.

20180402_093324 (2).jpg

At this point, I began my soggy trudge up the driveway back towards the main yard... oh yes, I haven't really mentioned that I haven't actually been into the main yard yet, have I? 

THIS IS ALL JUST THE STUFF ROUND THE SIDE.

I know.

*Faints*

There was also a maroon Toyota Carina E...

20180402_093311 (2).jpg

A Morris Minor Convertible (HSJ192)...

20180402_093311 (4).jpg

Morris Minor Convertible - HSJ192.png

...and an Austin A35 on the driveway which you can make out in some of the previous pics, all of which looked in reasonable fettle - but I didn't take any specific photos of them, hence these rubbish zooms.

20180402_113602 (2).jpg

20180402_113602.jpg

I did, however, spot this going-green Singer Vogue estate parked up the side of the house:

20180402_113341.jpg

Number plate is damaged: but I think this one is VSL512.

VSL512 - Singer Vogue.png

Further encouraging* and reassuring* signs:

20180402_093306.jpg

And amusing* stickers, too (on a shagged Vauxhall Combo, beside the Zastava):

20180402_093420.jpg

20180402_114008 (2).jpg

Right... more to follow, although I'd be lying if I said this was an easier task than I'd thought.

Cheers to everyone for their encouragement and comments, will answer them shortly!

Jesus Christ, I can't keep up here.

My father had a 1300gt before I was born. "The daddy car" as it was called by "the kids" (my decade older brothers). A total lemon by all accounts.

A fantastic collection but a shame they're rotting away there. The fact Brendan Dooley hasn't scooped up that Maxi suggests it's a. fucked and/or b. overpriced.

Are those Denovo wheels and run-flat tyres on that P6? Pretty rare I'd imagine if so.

On 4/4/2019 at 3:35 PM, LightBulbFun said:

been enjoying your write up of this lot :)

even if its sad as you see to see these cars rotting away

I agree that Yugo needs saving :)

(I too agree with you on the 1950s-1960s thing on car design, these days things have slowed down a lot more)

I wonder how the DVLA/DVLNI stuff was computerised back in the day

was it literally a team of people just manually reading off a shit load of V5s and typing it all up into a computer?...

interesting that cars moved to NI get slapped with an export marker, how does it work if you want to bring back to the UK?

Cheers dude - I'm hoping to get back over there in a few weeks, so will be interesting to see what's changed, what's gone, and what's arrived... fingers crossed for slightly better weather this time. I'd hope the Yugo's been rehomed.

I gather the DVLNI records computerisation was just that - a team of civil servants from the then-Department of the Environment up in County Hall in Coleraine, spending months typing in the details from paper records. Fun.

I think the export marker used to be cancelled if a car was brought back to GB and re-re-registered with DVLA - as an example, my old Viva (XRR689M) still shows on the DVLA site as last taxed in 1995 and with an export marker against it - someone brought it over to NI in '95 and registered it with DVLNI, I bought it in '97, sold it in 2005, and then it somehow ended up down in Tipperary direction where it became thoroughly rotten and was broken for parts, and hence no longer exists (though bits of it ended up in a Viva belonging to JunkyardDog of this parish, coincidentally).

XRR689M - Vauxhall Viva.png

Whereas my Cortina Estate (NJW605X) was brought over from Glasgow by me in 2008, registered with DVLNI (generating an export marker, I'd imagine), sold on locally in 2010, and then it seems to have gone back to GB - because it's now shown as having no export marker, and having been MOT'd up to 2013 (which wouldn't show up on the DVLA site for NI cars, since the two databases weren't merged until 2014)

NJW605X - Ford Cortina.png

Hey, it's hours of fun trying to get my head around all of this!

On 4/4/2019 at 4:07 PM, Cavcraft said:

Some class stuff in there, alright. Sadly, if that 1300GT is complete, it'll probably end up being bummed for the engine by one of the Mini brigade.

Tragically, going by the raised ride height at the front and the detached bonnet, I think that particular ship may have already sailed...

On 4/4/2019 at 4:12 PM, The_Equalizer said:

You might well know, but before the DVLA issued age related non-transferable plates they issued 1963 A registrations instead. So there was quite a number of pre-1963 cars running round on 1963 A registrations after they had been asset stripped of their original dateless registrations.

Yes, I'd thought that was the case - I remember seeing a few 50s cars at shows wearing A-suffix plates, and it just looks all kinds of wrong. I think there may be other peculiar reasons for it to be wearing an A reg - a personal import from a Commonwealth country in 1963, possibly - but without bothering my lazy arse to check whether it's a non-transferable registration, I'd say you're bang on the money here.

On 4/4/2019 at 4:42 PM, danthecapriman said:

Brilliant updates. I love those Vauxhall F types, they’re rare as fuck but such awesome looking cars. Like miniature yanks!

I always think it’s such a shame for cars of this age and type to end up in a scrap yard though, they’ve survived so long against the odds and yet they wind up in a right state and sitting in yards like this or going round the oval instead. It’s not like some 90’s or 00’s heap that’s just reached the end of its life.

Still, you can’t save them all and it does provide spares for others.

I was really surprised at how many Victor F types there were in this yard, I think there were four of them (in varying states of disrepair).

Yeah, there's certainly an air of tragedy about scrapyards which I find both sad and exhilarating at the same time - I think, deep down, some idiot part of me thinks that I could fix them up no matter how abjectly destroyed they are, so my inner optimist sees potential in all these nails, even though my realist self knows they're gone forever... but yes, at least there's more chance of them providing parts for others, and there's some cars which have had sizeable chops taken from them, presumably to repair crash/rust damage in others... so better here than at the metal recyclers.

But I love the patina of rusted metal, in a weird primeval way... years back, I put together a small gallery exhibition of some of my scrapyard pics. They didn't really sell, but I still like the photos... I took some in this place along the same lines.

20180402_120858.jpg

20180402_121058.jpg

On 4/4/2019 at 10:55 PM, lesapandre said:

That Vogue is seriously rare. Imagine who ordered that new, what taste, what refinement! Sold - not surprised!

I really hope it's found the home it deserves - I've never seen another, and probably never will!

On 4/5/2019 at 11:50 AM, quicksilver said:

A fantastic collection but a shame they're rotting away there. The fact Brendan Dooley hasn't scooped up that Maxi suggests it's a. fucked and/or b. overpriced.

Are those Denovo wheels and run-flat tyres on that P6? Pretty rare I'd imagine if so.

Heh, yes - I'd reckon it's both those factors!

I don't honestly know what those wheels are - any Googling doesn't seem to bring up anything quite like them. 

But I desire them.

20180402_113944 (2).jpg

Cheers dude - I'm hoping to get back over there in a few weeks, so will be interesting to see what's changed, what's gone, and what's arrived... fingers crossed for slightly better weather this time. I'd hope the Yugo's been rehomed.

I gather the DVLNI records computerisation was just that - a team of civil servants from the then-Department of the Environment up in County Hall in Coleraine, spending months typing in the details from paper records. Fun.

I think the export marker used to be cancelled if a car was brought back to GB and re-re-registered with DVLA - as an example, my old Viva (XRR689M) still shows on the DVLA site as last taxed in 1995 and with an export marker against it - someone brought it over to NI in '95 and registered it with DVLNI, I bought it in '97, sold it in 2005, and then it somehow ended up down in Tipperary direction where it became thoroughly rotten and was broken for parts, and hence no longer exists (though bits of it ended up in a Viva belonging to JunkyardDog of this parish, coincidentally).

attachicon.gifXRR689M - Vauxhall Viva.png

Whereas my Cortina Estate (NJW605X) was brought over from Glasgow by me in 2008, registered with DVLNI (generating an export marker, I'd imagine), sold on locally in 2010, and then it seems to have gone back to GB - because it's now shown as having no export marker, and having been MOT'd up to 2013 (which wouldn't show up on the DVLA site for NI cars, since the two databases weren't merged until 2014)

attachicon.gifNJW605X - Ford Cortina.png

Hey, it's hours of fun trying to get my head around all of this!

Tragically, going by the raised ride height at the front and the detached bonnet, I think that particular ship may have already sailed...

Yes, I'd thought that was the case - I remember seeing a few 50s cars at shows wearing A-suffix plates, and it just looks all kinds of wrong. I think there may be other peculiar reasons for it to be wearing an A reg - a personal import from a Commonwealth country in 1963, possibly - but without bothering my lazy arse to check whether it's a non-transferable registration, I'd say you're bang on the money here.

I was really surprised at how many Victor F types there were in this yard, I think there were four of them (in varying states of disrepair).

Yeah, there's certainly an air of tragedy about scrapyards which I find both sad and exhilarating at the same time - I think, deep down, some idiot part of me thinks that I could fix them up no matter how abjectly destroyed they are, so my inner optimist sees potential in all these nails, even though my realist self knows they're gone forever... but yes, at least there's more chance of them providing parts for others, and there's some cars which have had sizeable chops taken from them, presumably to repair crash/rust damage in others... so better here than at the metal recyclers.

But I love the patina of rusted metal, in a weird primeval way... years back, I put together a small gallery exhibition of some of my scrapyard pics. They didn't really sell, but I still like the photos... I took some in this place along the same lines.

attachicon.gif20180402_120858.jpg

attachicon.gif20180402_121058.jpg

I really hope it's found the home it deserves - I've never seen another, and probably never will!

Heh, yes - I'd reckon it's both those factors!

I don't honestly know what those wheels are - any Googling doesn't seem to bring up anything quite like them. 

But I desire them.

interesting stuff, I too find it quite interesting and love trying to figure it all out :)

if it makes your "inner idiot" or optimist feel any better

this was TPA December 2017 

DP9nZYYWAAEhjor.jpg

and here she is Feb 2019 :)

post-21985-0-32082000-1550003047.jpg

(mind its a good thing fibre glass cant rust  :mrgreen:

True, that... equally, Egg's Mk12 was looking pretty forlorn only a bare few weeks ago, yet now appears more and more like a car rather than a landscape feature. So who knows, maybe some of these will indeed live to drive another day?

If only it didn't rain so much over here; cars in Australian scrapyards tend to just look like they need a bit of a wash and the tyres pumped up...

Leyland P76s - Cooma, Feb 2006.png

So then! ZONE 6!

Junkyard Jewels - Zone 6.png

This is the biggie. This is the old-school yard, the field of dreams bar none. Dream big, if you fancy taking on a car from here...

So. Imagine you're standing there in the gap between the fence panels.

Look left.

20180402_121712.jpg

Look right.

20180402_121723.jpg

Which row do you want to go down first, people?

(Seriously, suggest away - it's no odds to me, as I'm sifting hundreds of photos on the fly regardless)

On 4/5/2019 at 3:37 PM, LightBulbFun said:

I say go diagonally  :mrgreen:

I'm not climbing over that bloody Hillman Minx!

It's like Autoshite's very own text-based video game...

**SHITE HUNTER**

Golden Axe Character Selection Sega.jpg

On 4/5/2019 at 3:39 PM, quicksilver said:

I spy TWO Consul Farnham estates!! Unbelievable...

You're quite correct... I could mosey on down that way, if you like?

So, assuming we're going down the left hand side path (the path sinister, appropriately), then the first stop is another two ailing products of Morris Garages:

20180402_112635.jpg

20180402_103032.jpg

20180402_095337.jpg

JWL216K on the blue car brings back zilch on the various plate-checking sites; the identity of the green rubber-bumper car (with epic paint peel) is sadly unknown.

Looking on down the line, then...

20180402_112642.jpg

Living (dying?) next door to the big P6, we have another 100E:

20180402_114613.jpg

2209DZ, a Co. Antrim car when new. A long time ago, that.

Again, the sort of rust-streaks that brings out my artistic side, mebbe. A bit.

20180402_114620.jpg

Fun fact: while at school, I won a trip to the United States with a poem about a 100E in a scrapyard. True.

Beside the l'il green Anglia, we have another Morris Minor:

20180402_120537 (2).jpg

This one is JZL131, an old-style Republic of Ireland number.

And perpendicular to that, we have a terminally broken Vauxhall Viva HB, in SL flavour.

20180402_100931.jpg

20180402_095713.jpg

20180402_102957.jpg

I'd be reasonably confident that the term "totally fucking fucked m8" was coined for this particular vehicle.

No registration, but here's another badge anyway.

20180402_103007.jpg

And between the Viva and the fence is another stablemate - the third F-type Victor I've stumbled across in this yard.

20180402_100938.jpg

Which is possibly why I didn't take any more pics of it. Oops.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:32 PM, Vin said:

Fantastic stuff DC!

How come the Orion has an export marker against it??

Cheers man, glad you're enjoying the ride so far!

Not 100% sure about the Orion, but it's possible it's since been sold Down South to an ROI buyer, which would generate an export marker on its DVLA record. Here's hoping someone will give it some love, anyway!

Snuggled up close to the Viva, then, is a bit of a rarity - a Standard Vanguard Phase III estate.

20180402_100450.jpg

Annoyingly plateless, these big lumps were massively over-engineered (to my recollection) and despite its assorted dings and frilly bonnet, it looks like the car most likely to drive out of this yard under its own steam.

20180402_102939.jpg

Spilt tailgate is nice. I did actually go and look at one of these in about 1997; an Ensign estate version, but it was a bit out of my range at £800.

20180402_102946.jpg

WOULD.

Hiding behind the Vanguard's substantive bulk, is a distant cousin... a late model (1982) Triumph TR7 convertible, OIJ7507 - Co. Down registered, and quite possibly originally supplied by Kane of Comber, a big BL/Austin Rover dealership outside Belfast.

20180402_102909 (2).jpg

Triumph TR7 - OIJ7507.png

Rotten as the proverbial pear, I'm afraid.

And, moving down further, we have this Triumph 2000 Mk1...

20180402_100857.jpg

20180402_100441.jpg

Not the best advert for Isopon.

20180402_102150.jpg

Someone's set about the roof rather frantically with what appears to have been a junior hacksaw; I'm not quite sure whether they were after a Webasto full length sunroof, OR chopped out the tin to replace a leaky Webasto on their own 2000.

20180402_100913.jpg

Either way, it's certainly very airy now.

The numberplate was attached to the rear slam panel, but I neglected to capture it legibly. Annoying.