Range Rover P45? - it's hot.

drum

One's water pump is fucked Sir.

Can you not fire one on yourself?

I will. I tried the motor factors on Friday but they were more than twice the price of online and couldn't get it before Monday. If I could have got one Friday or Saturday I would have had it on today.

I booked in it thinking liner slip and wanted that checked out before spending lots.

Haven't looked at that yet right enough. I wonder if I can just take the thermostat out and run it like that.

I've had a read and it's a big plastic job inline with the hoses so I can't take it out like the old style that sat in their own housing. I could measure the temp of the hoses on either side though with the infrared thermometer. I should really do measure temp at top and bottom of rad and other hoses to see if there is a blockage or air lock.

post-18059-0-37695200-1519597155_thumb.jpgpost-18059-0-33530000-1519597156_thumb.jpg

That's my old one above, it pretty much had all of what you are facing with yours now. I replaced the waterpump, the heater matrix pipe, steering box, and then normal wear items - exhaust, brakes... it just needed some love!

Still rate it and would again if I could justify one!

By the way, i'm in Dundee and have the spanner and lock tool you'll need for removing the fan but more importantly, I have a car transporter that I'm happy to let fellow eejits borrow when in distress! Look forward to seeing you get this one sorted.

I braved the beast fae the east to pop this into the hospital this morning for its diagnosis. Got away from work early to hear the judgement and the news wasn't great. Annoying but not surprising.

The doctor fed it some potion that changes colour if it detects hgf. It changed colour.

So what now?

Well I proceeded to totally fucking fuck it up, big time.

I thought I would nurse it home, up the Glen. Better to have it at home for fettling instead of at my shed 7 miles away.

Got about two miles before the temp gauge pinged into the red. I pulled over to let it cool down, threw some water in and set off.

This time the gauge crept up to the middle if the dial and sat there. Not only that, the heater blew hot air for the first time since I got it. Drove all the way home assuming an airlock had unlocked itself but noticed the heater cool down with about a mile to go. Temp gauge still at normal so cracked on. Turned into my drive and it conked out.

Had a look under the bonnet to find the cap wasn't properly on the header tank. I think all the coolant had gone. Gave it a couple of cranks but deed.

Had to leave it where it came to rest.

post-5582-0-29122500-1519860782_thumb.jpg

Gave it an hour and tried it and it started up first turn. Filled it with antifreeze and let it idle. No obvious strange noises and it came up to temp and sat there for 20 minutes before I switched it off. No heat from the heater.

I think I'll still change the water pump and try some magic head gasket repair from a bottle.

I've been pricing replacement engines.

Ah, fuck.

But you did buy a P38.

So..... when are you going to pull the engine apart?

I might as well have a look before getting another one.

The mechanic said you have to skim both heads? Replacement engines from about £450 on eBay.

Steel Seal. Pull the stat out, pour it down the top hose and let it run for 30 mins. The fact that the heater blew hot for a bit suggests the pump is doing something but I'd still whip it out for an inspection.

How much is a cheap new or good used pump? Steel Seal is 30 quid.

Oh, and fuck repairing it properly. It's a P38. Fix that at great expense and the twat will bury you in something else. Before you know it you own a fucked £2000 P38 rather than a fucked £500 one. A fools errand.

How conclusive is the HGF diagnosis? I'm guessing the colour change dye detects combustion gasses? If so then fairly conclusive I guess.

Is a DIY head job that bad on these? It's rocker driven to no cambelt to worry about. Pop off the heads, quick skim and a new waterpump, back on the road for under £300.

Maybe

If the £450 engines come with a warranty then maybe, if it's just well it was running when it came into the yard then no.

If the heater suddenly started working it's shifted an airlock, that could explain where a lot of water went quickly - if it hadn't then run dry with the loose cap I'm guessing that may have helped things?

Hoping this /\ - as it sounds like a massive air lock has caused you a lot of trouble. The OMGHGF test doesn't bode well though. As D says, rockers - so heads off not such* a pain although a Davenumbers type skim wouldn't get them both matching unless you were spectacularly lucky - if punting back into auctionvilia then it may hold up long enough to be someone elses problem - at least we're all warned!

It does look bloody spectacular in that scenery shot above though - heart would possibly* rule head for me I'm afraid.