The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

My van is the most minging looking thing on wheels, mould growing on it sort of thing

Get a sponge and some soapy water and clean the words "NOT SCRAP" into the roof and sides.

My van is the most minging looking thing on wheels, mould growing on it sort of thing

Get a sponge and some soapy water and clean the words "NOT SCRAP" into the roof and sides.

Theres a thought, I could use fairy liquid as a sort of marker pen in the grime, I'll give it a go

Theres a thought, I could use fairy liquid as a sort of marker pen in the grime, I'll give it a go

Fleet at an all time low with various estates and my black cab having all found new homes. Just down to the volvo 850 and the jag, which currently needs some minor fettling for the MOT. Must resist scanning E bay for replacements!

Fleet at an all time low with various estates and my black cab having all found new homes. Just down to the volvo 850 and the jag, which currently needs some minor fettling for the MOT. Must resist scanning E bay for replacements!

Dull Volvo news, it passed it's MOT today with no advisories, just needed a couple of bulbs. It did have 4 new tyres last month and I did change wishbone bushes last week though. It was also treated to its second oil & filter change in my ownership. This local auction impulse purchase isn't turning out too bad so far.

Dull Volvo news, it passed it's MOT today with no advisories, just needed a couple of bulbs. It did have 4 new tyres last month and I did change wishbone bushes last week though. It was also treated to its second oil & filter change in my ownership. This local auction impulse purchase isn't turning out too bad so far.

Had a visit from a friend today in his utterly ruined k10 Micra. It was immaculate when he got it 6 years ago with about 90,000 on the clock, I haven't seen much of it since until today. It arrived in a clatter of loose exhaust and knackered cv joints, the mud and dirt not entirely hiding tidemarked sills and several messy welding repairs in mismatched red paint. Now at over 160,000 miles its had barely more than a basic oil change once a year and one new clutch yet still refuses to go majorly wrong. He's proud that in all that time he has never cleaned the interior - I'm not a fussy car cleaner but good grief it was disgusting. The boot is used as a giant bin, words cannot describe the state of it.

A new feature is the bezel above the numberplate ripped in two and hanging off, no idea how he managed that but I "fixed" it using four wood screws, a furniture bracket, superglue and gaffer tape. Swapped the foglight bulb for the reverse light bulb so the reverse light now works, told him he needs to get a new bulb but I know he won't. Checked why one front light didn't work, found the plug was half melted with corroded contacts. Fiddled the bulb around in it a bit and it now works. Suggested he gets it checked out, knowing he never will.

The Nova got a good view of all this and got jealous, especially after the insult of being used in torrential rain, so threw a tantrum. Looks like I now have to find a replacement alternator. Dammit.

Had a visit from a friend today in his utterly ruined k10 Micra. It was immaculate when he got it 6 years ago with about 90,000 on the clock, I haven't seen much of it since until today. It arrived in a clatter of loose exhaust and knackered cv joints, the mud and dirt not entirely hiding tidemarked sills and several messy welding repairs in mismatched red paint. Now at over 160,000 miles its had barely more than a basic oil change once a year and one new clutch yet still refuses to go majorly wrong. He's proud that in all that time he has never cleaned the interior - I'm not a fussy car cleaner but good grief it was disgusting. The boot is used as a giant bin, words cannot describe the state of it.

A new feature is the bezel above the numberplate ripped in two and hanging off, no idea how he managed that but I "fixed" it using four wood screws, a furniture bracket, superglue and gaffer tape. Swapped the foglight bulb for the reverse light bulb so the reverse light now works, told him he needs to get a new bulb but I know he won't. Checked why one front light didn't work, found the plug was half melted with corroded contacts. Fiddled the bulb around in it a bit and it now works. Suggested he gets it checked out, knowing he never will.

The Nova got a good view of all this and got jealous, especially after the insult of being used in torrential rain, so threw a tantrum. Looks like I now have to find a replacement alternator. Dammit.

Had a visit from a friend today in his utterly ruined k10 Micra

:roll:

I dont know what it is about people like this. I knew a couple of people who took pride in never taking pride in thier own cars, never washing/cleaning them, giving them the most basic service or even never servicing them until something goes wrong, its almost like a challenge, extreme bangernomics or something. I get bangernomics, but you do have to look after your car.

Had a visit from a friend today in his utterly ruined k10 Micra

:roll:

I dont know what it is about people like this. I knew a couple of people who took pride in never taking pride in thier own cars, never washing/cleaning them, giving them the most basic service or even never servicing them until something goes wrong, its almost like a challenge, extreme bangernomics or something. I get bangernomics, but you do have to look after your car.

A beautiful sunny morning so I was actually able to crack on with some car jobs. Bluebird thermostat first. Still utterly baffled by this. Out with the 'stat and ruined gasket and seal. Fitted new seal to the gasket but it then doesn't fit. WTF! So, tried fitting it sans seal again, even though the first time I did this, the car ran cool. Filled it up with plain water as having had problems before, I wasn't ready to waste antifreeze. Test drive revealed success! So I then had to drain out some coolant and in goes the antifreeze. At which point the 'stat housing starts pissing coolant out. Fuggin' thing!

While the car and I cooled down, I cracked on with some other jobs. New BX quickly had a new fuel and air filter (on top of the oil and oil filter earlier in the week - I perform my services over a number of days) and then I whipped the driver's door mirror off the BX estate as the one on the new BX is mullered. The door card has to come of for this so it was an ideal opportunity to replace the knackered window regulator that made the window very clunky when raising. I wasn't looking forward to this as I just don't have the knack to get the mechanism in and out of the door in a nice, quick, clean operation. To make matters worse, someone had smeared shit loads of grease all over everything - presumably in the hope that this would somehow, miraculously, make the clunking go away. However, they had neatly put the weather guard back together with parcel tape. I'm going to pinch that trick myself...

I'd just got the mechanism back in and fully fitted when the heavens opened. Not impressed. Three cars in pieces and a hasty panic to try and raise windows and shut doors when two doors were in pieces with lots of wires disconnected. Sodding jet stream.

A beautiful sunny morning so I was actually able to crack on with some car jobs. Bluebird thermostat first. Still utterly baffled by this. Out with the 'stat and ruined gasket and seal. Fitted new seal to the gasket but it then doesn't fit. WTF! So, tried fitting it sans seal again, even though the first time I did this, the car ran cool. Filled it up with plain water as having had problems before, I wasn't ready to waste antifreeze. Test drive revealed success! So I then had to drain out some coolant and in goes the antifreeze. At which point the 'stat housing starts pissing coolant out. Fuggin' thing!

While the car and I cooled down, I cracked on with some other jobs. New BX quickly had a new fuel and air filter (on top of the oil and oil filter earlier in the week - I perform my services over a number of days) and then I whipped the driver's door mirror off the BX estate as the one on the new BX is mullered. The door card has to come of for this so it was an ideal opportunity to replace the knackered window regulator that made the window very clunky when raising. I wasn't looking forward to this as I just don't have the knack to get the mechanism in and out of the door in a nice, quick, clean operation. To make matters worse, someone had smeared shit loads of grease all over everything - presumably in the hope that this would somehow, miraculously, make the clunking go away. However, they had neatly put the weather guard back together with parcel tape. I'm going to pinch that trick myself...

I'd just got the mechanism back in and fully fitted when the heavens opened. Not impressed. Three cars in pieces and a hasty panic to try and raise windows and shut doors when two doors were in pieces with lots of wires disconnected. Sodding jet stream.

I've been pondering about selling my Golf for a few weeks now as although it's a cracking car it's not really had much soft top action this year and It just doesn't float my boat, A friend came up to me today asking if I'd be interested in selling my Golf asking me what i thought it's worth, £800-900 I guess as it's a nice one.

He asked If i'd be interested in a deal with his mint '92 Sierra 2.9i XR4x4, The trouble is he's after £1500 for it so I'd have to swap my Golf plus give him another £700 on top which i can't really spare at the moment.

The question is should i just do it?, The fuel will be a lot more although I don't do big mileage, It will only to and from work in it which is about 20 miles a day 3 times a week but the car is a real minter with low mileage, I'm very tempted.

5874029030_0df5c0b936_z.jpg

1992 Ford Sierra 2.9 V6 XR4x4 by Trigger's Retro Road Tests!, on Flickr

5874028334_401f61ab5c_z.jpg

I've been pondering about selling my Golf for a few weeks now as although it's a cracking car it's not really had much soft top action this year and It just doesn't float my boat, A friend came up to me today asking if I'd be interested in selling my Golf asking me what i thought it's worth, £800-900 I guess as it's a nice one.

He asked If i'd be interested in a deal with his mint '92 Sierra 2.9i XR4x4, The trouble is he's after £1500 for it so I'd have to swap my Golf plus give him another £700 on top which i can't really spare at the moment.

The question is should i just do it?, The fuel will be a lot more although I don't do big mileage, It will only to and from work in it which is about 20 miles a day 3 times a week but the car is a real minter with low mileage, I'm very tempted.

5874029030_0df5c0b936_z.jpg

5874028334_401f61ab5c_z.jpg

Heart Vs head I'd say, Trig. Having said that (and I know he's your mate) but perhaps try and find other examples of your car at more than £900 and try and chip him down a bit, perhaps offering £500? He can only say yes or no and if you feel you're getting a good deal you'll be more tempted to go for it.

Heart Vs head I'd say, Trig. Having said that (and I know he's your mate) but perhaps try and find other examples of your car at more than £900 and try and chip him down a bit, perhaps offering £500? He can only say yes or no and if you feel you're getting a good deal you'll be more tempted to go for it.

Just been to scrapyard and emptied my van of shite I've been falling over for 6 months,the grab of doom didnt suddenly pick my van up and fling it in to the crusher in a jeremy beadle stylee and i got £84 for my trouble.....which was nice

On the down side, I cant feel my arse, cold wet seat and no heater :cry:

Just been to scrapyard and emptied my van of shite I've been falling over for 6 months,the grab of doom didnt suddenly pick my van up and fling it in to the crusher in a jeremy beadle stylee and i got £84 for my trouble.....which was nice

On the down side, I cant feel my arse, cold wet seat and no heater :cry:

WA, and indeed HEY, my lad has just sorted his first car insurance out. We went through one of those places that fit a box to the car to monitor his driving, shit loads cheaper than 'normal' insurance. Now it's only* just shy of two large but he's happy to pay that and itching to get out in his car!