The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

185167_10151197430219644_1436089034_n.jpg

Spent today polishing the loveliness that is my poor old Jag.

550434_10151197455564644_1504275169_n.jpg

Didn't come up too badly. Unfortunately, I spotted this...

536058_10151197330284644_1680377135_n.jpg

Which can only have happened during it's stay with the Welders. Where this was inflicted upon it by Tom the painter who used to have the unit they're in now. Tom did replace the rear bumper though, so can't complain much. It would have been nice if he'd attached it properly, but can't win 'em all. Not the end of the world to put things right.

556531_3682198973203_369573890_n.jpg

Still, I suppose it just means I'll keep the thing and restore it properly back to how it should be. It'll get there. Just take a bit longer than planned...

Oh, spent an hour at the valeters today. Valeter jumped in the Jag to move it forward, as seems the custom he drove the car forward with the drivers door open. When he got out, he shut the door. As he'd moved the car it auto-locks all the doors, the drivers door locked the second it was shut. So I spent an hour waiting for a mate to bring me the spare keys from home while the car sat there ticking over... They cleaned it bloody well after that...

185167_10151197430219644_1436089034_n.jpg

Spent today polishing the loveliness that is my poor old Jag.

550434_10151197455564644_1504275169_n.jpg

Didn't come up too badly. Unfortunately, I spotted this...

536058_10151197330284644_1680377135_n.jpg

Which can only have happened during it's stay with the Welders. Where this was inflicted upon it by Tom the painter who used to have the unit they're in now. Tom did replace the rear bumper though, so can't complain much. It would have been nice if he'd attached it properly, but can't win 'em all. Not the end of the world to put things right.

556531_3682198973203_369573890_n.jpg

Still, I suppose it just means I'll keep the thing and restore it properly back to how it should be. It'll get there. Just take a bit longer than planned...

Oh, spent an hour at the valeters today. Valeter jumped in the Jag to move it forward, as seems the custom he drove the car forward with the drivers door open. When he got out, he shut the door. As he'd moved the car it auto-locks all the doors, the drivers door locked the second it was shut. So I spent an hour waiting for a mate to bring me the spare keys from home while the car sat there ticking over... They cleaned it bloody well after that...

The Jag looks GR9 mate, despite the neglect beforehand and that you seem to have captured its loveliness on a King Edward.

You know where I is, etc, Ariston.

The Jag looks GR9 mate, despite the neglect beforehand and that you seem to have captured its loveliness on a King Edward.

You know where I is, etc, Ariston.

Jag does look lovely Pete. I always hate finding a new scuff or scratch on a car...

So I felt a right tit when I drove me Volvo into a wall this morning and knocked off a fog lamp. It's been pelting all day so I haven't been able to refit it either.

Bumhats.

Jag does look lovely Pete. I always hate finding a new scuff or scratch on a car...

So I felt a right tit when I drove me Volvo into a wall this morning and knocked off a fog lamp. It's been pelting all day so I haven't been able to refit it either.

Bumhats.

A framed the ka back from leeds this morning. Battery was flat as a can of lidl shandy, so I dug out some jump leads and did a bit of this:

eQWnHh.jpg

Not a lot was happening, even after running the van for about 15 minutes. Turned out it was only charging at about 1.5 amps. I suspected a dodgy connection, but it turned out that I've just got the most shit jumpleads I've ever seen:

Ve2ijh.jpg

There was literally about 15 strands of wire in there - they're like HT leads!

I whipped the battery off and stuck it on charge for a bit, then got an old screwdriver and had a go at a bit of acupuncture:

SJ45Ih.jpg

Tbh I think that'll be the worst of it with any luck.

YtX7Xh.jpg

Good to see that the tin of underseal and paintbrush I gave my sister last year went to good use - I welded this patch in when it was pissing with rain so everything was wet through, gave her the underseal and told her to slap a load on as soon as the weather cleared up. She's obviously just completely ignored me and slung the stuff in a river, but it should still hopefully be solid enough. Perhaps I was expecting a lot from someone who'll drive a car around firing on two cylinders for months because £30 for a coilpack would eat too far into her £30k+ salary :roll:

A framed the ka back from leeds this morning. Battery was flat as a can of lidl shandy, so I dug out some jump leads and did a bit of this:

eQWnHh.jpg

Not a lot was happening, even after running the van for about 15 minutes. Turned out it was only charging at about 1.5 amps. I suspected a dodgy connection, but it turned out that I've just got the most shit jumpleads I've ever seen:

Ve2ijh.jpg

There was literally about 15 strands of wire in there - they're like HT leads!

I whipped the battery off and stuck it on charge for a bit, then got an old screwdriver and had a go at a bit of acupuncture:

SJ45Ih.jpg

Tbh I think that'll be the worst of it with any luck.

YtX7Xh.jpg

Good to see that the tin of underseal and paintbrush I gave my sister last year went to good use - I welded this patch in when it was pissing with rain so everything was wet through, gave her the underseal and told her to slap a load on as soon as the weather cleared up. She's obviously just completely ignored me and slung the stuff in a river, but it should still hopefully be solid enough. Perhaps I was expecting a lot from someone who'll drive a car around firing on two cylinders for months because £30 for a coilpack would eat too far into her £30k+ salary :roll:

Cobs, no disrespect here but your friends and family seem a bit useless and shit. Although that could be my imagination from reading your posts.

Cobs, no disrespect here but your friends and family seem a bit useless and shit. Although that could be my imagination from reading your posts.

Non-car people can be like that though. A while back I was at some motorway services and watched a Fiat Seicento drive past on only 3-cylinders. The fourth cylinder was making a nice, regular tapping sort of a noise. How can you not tell that something is seriously wrong?! Why would you try and drive such an obviously f*cked car down a motorway? With a child on board?!

Non-car people can be like that though. A while back I was at some motorway services and watched a Fiat Seicento drive past on only 3-cylinders. The fourth cylinder was making a nice, regular tapping sort of a noise. How can you not tell that something is seriously wrong?! Why would you try and drive such an obviously f*cked car down a motorway? With a child on board?!

The same kind of person who will admonish you for exceeding 2,500 rpm (you will break the engine), or who throws their laptop around like it's a paperback book but never backs up their data.

I got caught in a downpour today, and it was the first time I've driven the car with the roof up. Cozy, certainly. But visibility is terrible and there are all sorts of rattles and clunks that aren't usually audible.

edit: it's also averaged 26.7mpg over the last tank.

The same kind of person who will admonish you for exceeding 2,500 rpm (you will break the engine), or who throws their laptop around like it's a paperback book but never backs up their data.

I got caught in a downpour today, and it was the first time I've driven the car with the roof up. Cozy, certainly. But visibility is terrible and there are all sorts of rattles and clunks that aren't usually audible.

edit: it's also averaged 26.7mpg over the last tank.

Maestro had its first proper commute run in my care. It's feeling better for having a bit of a trundle and coped admirably in traffic without overheating or being odd. Was particularly satisfying parking in a car park where the oldest machine there was 5 years old, though the usual Austin turning circle meant I couldn't physically get into the one free space and even if I had, I suspect I wouldn't have been able to open my doors.

What did surprise me wasn't the Maestro which soldiered on like you'd expect any modern to do, it was the standard of driving. I've not had to drive in Sheffield for about a year now, so commuting from Bolsover to the Steel City (non-Motorway, it's quicker weirdly and about the same on fuel) was a bit of an eye opener as to just how bad the driving you're exposed to can be. Best way to deal with it for me was to leave lots of space, use the brakes gently well in advance to warn folks behind me who were clearly distracted by everything outside the car but the car in front and just chill out. Not enjoying the fact it took me an hour each way, but by adjusting the working hours of my new, much more relaxed job, I can easily avoid the worst of the traffic. Also, it was just as well I didn't take the M1 home, I'd probably still be sat on it now as the radio was saying there had been a nasty accident up by Bradford with the traffic being affected all the way back to Sheffield.

Another bonus point for the Maestro. What a competent beast it is!

Maestro had its first proper commute run in my care. It's feeling better for having a bit of a trundle and coped admirably in traffic without overheating or being odd. Was particularly satisfying parking in a car park where the oldest machine there was 5 years old, though the usual Austin turning circle meant I couldn't physically get into the one free space and even if I had, I suspect I wouldn't have been able to open my doors.

What did surprise me wasn't the Maestro which soldiered on like you'd expect any modern to do, it was the standard of driving. I've not had to drive in Sheffield for about a year now, so commuting from Bolsover to the Steel City (non-Motorway, it's quicker weirdly and about the same on fuel) was a bit of an eye opener as to just how bad the driving you're exposed to can be. Best way to deal with it for me was to leave lots of space, use the brakes gently well in advance to warn folks behind me who were clearly distracted by everything outside the car but the car in front and just chill out. Not enjoying the fact it took me an hour each way, but by adjusting the working hours of my new, much more relaxed job, I can easily avoid the worst of the traffic. Also, it was just as well I didn't take the M1 home, I'd probably still be sat on it now as the radio was saying there had been a nasty accident up by Bradford with the traffic being affected all the way back to Sheffield.

Another bonus point for the Maestro. What a competent beast it is!

Yup. Start of the slippery slope. I'm staring at my driveway of vehicles thinking 'how did this happen?!"

Ditto

It is most impressive, Campbell, how you fit them all onto one driveway... :shock:

Yup. Start of the slippery slope. I'm staring at my driveway of vehicles thinking 'how did this happen?!"

Ditto

It is most impressive, Campbell, how you fit them all onto one driveway... :shock:

Currently under pressure from FATHA_Largactil to clear out all the old shite / bits of car / wheels & tyres I've left in his garage, since I departed the parental home in 1995...

...by some strange coincidence, I was speaking to my brother in law last night, and he's just bought a bare Renault 5 shell to transplant the oily bits of his terminally rotten GT Turbo into - He's also just converted an old boat trailer which was donated to him, into a car trailer....

Q -"But where will you store this aforementioned shell & trailer, and do the work on the shell?"

A- "I was going to ask if you fancied going halves (or thirds) on leasing a unit to store your crap? You also seem to like old ramen, and it'd be somewhere it keep it..."

Hmmmm - Unit + access to a trailer (which I can borrow his Disco 3 to drag) = Ambitous plans to drag back to the UK some of the old French chod from Leboncoin that Mr Boll keeps posting about.... :)

Currently under pressure from FATHA_Largactil to clear out all the old shite / bits of car / wheels & tyres I've left in his garage, since I departed the parental home in 1995...

...by some strange coincidence, I was speaking to my brother in law last night, and he's just bought a bare Renault 5 shell to transplant the oily bits of his terminally rotten GT Turbo into - He's also just converted an old boat trailer which was donated to him, into a car trailer....

Q -"But where will you store this aforementioned shell & trailer, and do the work on the shell?"

A- "I was going to ask if you fancied going halves (or thirds) on leasing a unit to store your crap? You also seem to like old ramen, and it'd be somewhere it keep it..."

Hmmmm - Unit + access to a trailer (which I can borrow his Disco 3 to drag) = Ambitous plans to drag back to the UK some of the old French chod from Leboncoin that Mr Boll keeps posting about.... :)

Ditto

What's even worse is there is also a Megane auto on the drive too now.

Ditto

What's even worse is there is also a Megane auto on the drive too now.

Currently worrying about going to the weighbridge in my van

I'm not scrapping the van but the ton of shite in the back (ok, not a ton, but quite a lot)

I've got this nightmare of a big grab just grabbing my van by the roof and crushing it to shit

My van is the most minging looking thing on wheels, mould growing on it sort of thing, so its a likely misunderstanding as it looks like its on its last knockings

Currently worrying about going to the weighbridge in my van

I'm not scrapping the van but the ton of shite in the back (ok, not a ton, but quite a lot)

I've got this nightmare of a big grab just grabbing my van by the roof and crushing it to shit

My van is the most minging looking thing on wheels, mould growing on it sort of thing, so its a likely misunderstanding as it looks like its on its last knockings