Datsuncog's Heaps: Sept 2023 - Another Year's T-Met Exemption Certificate...

Datsuncog

On 4/5/2022 at 8:02 PM, Split_Pin said:

I guess it's down to preference. Falkens have been fine for me, no noise at all. I had Uniroyals on my first Corsa and I found that literally anything would puncture them.

Seems that there's so many variables that it can be hard to reach a consensus on how good a tyre brand is - after I took a punt on a full matched set of Bridgestones for the Forester, I then read various reviews saying how shit they were, how noisy, how quick to wear. But they were great for me - quiet, grippy and wore very well in the two years I had them fitted.

Falkens weren't listed as an option for the Corolla by the local independent I normally go to - beyond the 'budget range', the only brands listed for 175/65 R14 size were Hankook, Uniroyal, Davanti or Avon. 

I suppose there's limited demand for such small tyres these days; even quite titchy modern cars seem to be wearing 15" and 16" alloys.

12 hours ago, dome said:

Did you check the spare? Might be worth keeping the 2017 dated tyre as the spare, depending on what is lurking under the boot carpet.

Yup, I had a look and the spare was another perished Minell - so I made sure it was changed, while the Tigar went into the spare wheel well as the least-bad tyre on the car.

Hopefully I won't need it, but there's no point tempting fate (I do that often enough).

4 hours ago, SiC said:

I remember reading that tyre paint/spray affects the rubber compound and causes them to crack up much quicker. 

Ah, interesting... I would have thought that the tyre paint would have put oils back in to stop it going all crackly - kinda like feeding leather upholstery to keep it supple - but I can also see how the solvent might draw out some of the rubberising components from the tyrewall as it dries...

I never use tyre paint and seldom use any of that 'wet look' spray, so hopefully I'm doing all I can to avoid future degradation of the new rubber!

1 hour ago, tooSavvy said:

@Datsuncog....

Opinion always divides on 'custom tweeks'!

My vote always goes 'period*ish' alloys 👌

IMG_20200901_151407.jpg

Yes indeed - there used to be a  very clean three-door Corolla E110 locally, on an S-plate, which wore a set of small, rounded five-spoke alloys and I thought it looked very smart on them. Not a million miles away from yours!

These reminded me of the cheapie Fox 14" alloys we used to sell in Halfords back in the late '90s - in fact, it's possible that's exactly what they were - but they don't really seem to be made any more.

1990s_5_Spoke_Alloy_Wheel.thumb.jpg.c675ca60e0c5a022a52a58896635aa3d.jpg

^^ A fairly half-arsed internet search has thrown up this pic, which is apparently some sort of US Ford alloy from the early 1990s - but that's the kinda thing I had in mind.

But not some sort of blingin' chromed 20" thing on airbags and stanced; that's not quite the look I'm going for...

Corolla_E110_Custom.jpg.1a8d984456400f4ce5d3a49b8a624e8b.jpg

So, having wazzed a load of cash yesterday on fresh rubber, what else does this yoke need to make it absolutely perfect*?

Well, I haven't covered many miles yet, but a few little foibles have revealed themselves.

The bodywork's generally good, although it seems that being used for many many short trips has kept the mileage relatively low, but has worn the driver's door area a bit.

IMG_20220406_195221.thumb.jpg.2b3ab5e771b8d103d8fccec84c7ccdd5.jpg

Mostly, it's just the paint worn away - so a bit of fine-grit, some Kurust and a puff of black aerosol might improve the overall look enormously.

Getting into the driver's seat really feels more like sitting on the floor. At first I thought it was because I was so used to the higher platform on the Subarus, but eventually I twigged that the seat really is low - and that it was giving me backache plus really weird shin pains from the angle of the pedals.

I realised that it should have some sort of height adjustment on the seat, but the knob appears to have gone missing at some point.

IMG_20220406_195214.thumb.jpg.885ac682f1a3b4d01fed96108736dc6a.jpg

Still, a bit of twirling with a set of pliers seemed to raise the squab an inch or two, which feels rather better.

A trip out to Lidl on Tuesday night indicated that there's a fair few dashlights out, including all of the illumination on the ventilation controls.

IMG_20220406_195155.thumb.jpg.29dd6aede124460c3b089f452882e81a.jpg

I also suspect that there should be some sort of flap or cover on this gaping cubby in the centre section. There's a broken hinge and what looks like glue residue, so this may be something I'll just need to get used to.

The slide-out double cup holder seems decent though. I've kinda got a thing for cupholders, so this is Very Good Indeed.

I'd given the wash/wipe on the windscreen a test when I was viewing the car, and it seemed to work fine. However, when actually in operation in the rain, the wipers turn out to thwump mercilessly against the bottom of the screen with every sweep.

A bit of a jiggle indicates that there's A LOT of play in the wipers, suggesting some sort of linkage issue. I mean, they work okay in terms of providing forward vision, but clearly something's badly worn or damaged beneath the scuttle - so that'll need looked at.

The blades are also held on to the arms with cable ties. Never seen that before.

IMG_20220407_200511.thumb.jpg.760d95b1f1c0b6cba00d466437b55154.jpg

Did I mention that they're completely the wrong size, too? The passenger wiper protrudes beyond the edge of the windscreen, while the driver's side wiper appears quite a bit smaller than it ought, and consequently only wipes about three-fifths of the screen. Maybe some confusion when fitting an asymmetrical set?

Lastly (for now), there's also some sort of rubber band that appears to fasten around the headlights, presumably to seal them against the panels - but I can't appear to find any way to secure it properly.

IMG_20220407_200612.thumb.jpg.dcca027f0374265168884fa6c4057b6a.jpg

The one on the nearside had nearly fallen off, but I pushed it back on. It just seems... peculiar.

IMG_20220407_200635.thumb.jpg.1fe11c5fc8a3b94504ce14593913236e.jpg

Was this really how it was designed?

IMG_20220407_200641.thumb.jpg.53ed0d00678f876341e7c42d9b3516cd.jpg

Still, overall it looks a happy little thing.

And those inboard headlights have always reminded me a bit of...

1226528555_Screenshot_20220407-2016302.png.a46a48bba65e1aa42940915bf5d5c24a.png

Well, a little, anyway.

I think my next job is to track down a HBOL to give me some idea of how to disassemble the wipers, as well as procure a Corolla owner's handbook for other details on where the switches are - surprisingly this seems to have gone missing. eBay's not being very helpful, though - I'm not paying the thick end of £30 for a ratty, water damaged glovebox booklet... I may have to bide my time.

My old Celica had those rubber rings around the outer headlights, never did seem to sit quite right by themselves.  Ended up stuck on with 'Sticks Like', or some other goop I had around.

Nice wee car man, maybe wasn't cherished like some of them, but it'll come good under you care I'm sure.  What state is the engine oil/filters and coolant in?  They're always my first point of call if a car's looking a bit unloved in the cold light of day.

Have thought about one of these for my youngest when the time comes, Toyota reliability and seem big enough for a bike in the back (with the seats down), but never actually seen one up close?

Best of luck with it anyway, onwards and upwards!

That seat height knob will be something you set once then never use again! 

An afternoon with new bulbs, some microfibres and a bottle of spray would make a ton of difference I'm sure! Maybe some foam pads for rattle fixing too if there's any? 

Looks a comfy place to be inside but I am in the it's a bit ugly outside camp. But then I know full well what my car is so no judgement shall be passed! Sometimes you just don't need to give a shit what the car actually looks like! 

13 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

I'd given the wash/wipe on the windscreen a test when I was viewing the car, and it seemed to work fine. However, when actually in operation in the rain, the wipers turn out to thwump mercilessly against the bottom of the screen with every sweep.

A bit of a jiggle indicates that there's A LOT of play in the wipers, suggesting some sort of linkage issue. I mean, they work okay in terms of providing forward vision, but clearly something's badly worn or damaged beneath the scuttle - so that'll need looked at.

I recently replaced the heavily worn wiper linkage bushes on my earlier Corolla, which could be similar to yours knowing how fond Toyota is of parts bin raiding from older models. (Using the same radio connector plugs since the early eighties, for example).

On 4/8/2022 at 8:18 AM, TrabbieRonnie said:

My old Celica had those rubber rings around the outer headlights, never did seem to sit quite right by themselves.  Ended up stuck on with 'Sticks Like', or some other goop I had around.

Nice wee car man, maybe wasn't cherished like some of them, but it'll come good under you care I'm sure.  What state is the engine oil/filters and coolant in?  They're always my first point of call if a car's looking a bit unloved in the cold light of day.

Have thought about one of these for my youngest when the time comes, Toyota reliability and seem big enough for a bike in the back (with the seats down), but never actually seen one up close?

Best of luck with it anyway, onwards and upwards!

Ah, that's good to know - the rubber rings just seemed so unlikely to be something fitted to a car originally, yet they're clearly made to fit. I thought at first it was a bit of rubber trim that had been shoved round there by the owner as some kind of weird bodge, but no... it's legit, then!

I'll keep an eye on them - if they become loose again, a squirt of spray-mount might help them grip a bit more.

One thing I really like is that this car still has glass headlight lenses - I find the dull, bleary look of plastic-lens cars so off-putting. I did spend a messy afternoon using a lens restoration kit on the Forester, which made them look great - for a month or two, and then the hazing crept back again.

Under the bonnet thing look pretty good - the handwritten notes that came with the car indicate the last oil change was in 2019, which maybe isn't great but then MOTs indicate that it's only been doing  around 1,000 miles a year since then. Otherwise it all looks fine, with the coolant and brake fluid showing clean and level, so not giving me immediate cause for concern.

I've a Haynes manual and a Toyota owner's handbook on order, so once they arrive (and I've got an idea of capacities etc) I'll be carrying out a basic service to get me started.

The boot capacity is impressive - and although I haven't tried getting my bike in the back with the seats down yet, I'd be confident that the Corolla could carry it just fine.

It'll carry a double bass, that much I do know...

On 4/8/2022 at 9:45 AM, beko1987 said:

That seat height knob will be something you set once then never use again! 

An afternoon with new bulbs, some microfibres and a bottle of spray would make a ton of difference I'm sure! Maybe some foam pads for rattle fixing too if there's any? 

Looks a comfy place to be inside but I am in the it's a bit ugly outside camp. But then I know full well what my car is so no judgement shall be passed! Sometimes you just don't need to give a shit what the car actually looks like! 

Yeah, to be honest I'm not all that sold on the looks either - I really didn't like them when they first came out, but now I've mellowed to just finding these Corollas a bit funny-looking.

It does at least look a bit different in a car park these days, though - the rounded styling now looks quite cutesy compared to the aggressively angular styling of so many moderns. It also looks really small, by comparison - even though it's plenty big enough inside.

Once the HBOL arrives to give me some clue about how to remove the various bits of dash needed to access the blown bulbs, it should make a difference.

Right now, I'm absolutely valuing reliability and ease of maintenance above all else... while a big Volvo estate was what I really wanted, I could see any of the examples for sale locally quickly turning into a non-running money pit... and that's the last thing I need!

On 4/8/2022 at 1:59 PM, MorrisItalSLX said:

I recently replaced the heavily worn wiper linkage bushes on my earlier Corolla, which could be similar to yours knowing how fond Toyota is of parts bin raiding from older models. (Using the same radio connector plugs since the early eighties, for example).

Ah, thanks for that - most helpful in trying to solve this particular issue! I'd imagine it's quite a similar nylon bushing issue - here's hoping it's not too tricky a fix.

Once the manual touches down I'll have a proper look - it's not the worst thing, but the slap of the wipers hitting the bottom of the screen on each sweep could get pretty wearing on a long journey...

I know I've been pretty lucky in recent years (even if it may not look like it to the casual observer) - while both the Renaults may have imploded mechanically, and both the Subarus dissolved bodily, at least they all had the good grace to do so without causing me great expense first!

I don't want to go down a route of spending £££ rebuilding a gearbox on something like a V70, only to find that some other major component's now giving grief - things I really can't deal with are an unreliable car, and sunk costs pushing me to throw good money after bad.

Despite all the aggro, I didn't spend much on the Forester beyond the purchase price and general service items (I did replace the saggy-arse rear springs, but that was more vanity than need), and haven't spent anything on the Outback other than some cheap droplinks and the garage cleaning up the brake calipers a bit. Neither of them ever left me standing sheepishly at the side of the road, and I'm hoping the Corolla continues this noble tradition...

One postal arrival today may generate a small improvement - a replacement JVC head unit from @AnnoyingPentium, to replace the lightly borked OEM radio cassette unit.

982126105_IMG_20220411_1201572.thumb.jpg.433b4d61e5e813ad2234caeef3cd8c16.jpg

Looks in great nick, with the original instruction booklet included, and will hopefully allow me to hook up my trusty iPod Classic for the first time in a year and a half.

I'll wait until the Haynes shows up before trying to butcher the dashboard... annoyingly, the current head unit appears to be firmly bolted into place, rather than held in with retaining clips like most European cars.

IMG_20220402_130651.thumb.jpg.4d92cef830723349aa78287b0c964f1d.jpg

I'll not be discarding the original unit, never fear!

I've managed to remove the jammed cassette, and it seems that the carriage mechanism has seized (from lack of use?) - I'll try and see if I can get it working again.

18 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

One postal arrival today may generate a small improvement - a replacement JVC head unit from @AnnoyingPentium, to replace the lightly borked OEM radio cassette unit.

Looks in great nick, with the original instruction booklet included, and will hopefully allow me to hook up my trusty iPod Classic for the first time in a year and a half.

I'll wait until the Haynes shows up before trying to butcher the dashboard... annoyingly, the current head unit appears to be firmly bolted into place, rather than held in with retaining clips like most European cars.

I'll not be discarding the original unit, never fear! I'll try and see if I can get it working again.

My MR2 Roadster and my father's old gen 7 Celica both have/had bolt in stereo surrounds. Piece of piss to remove them though - literally five minute job. 

Oh aye - fitting it's not too big an issue, and the Forester's DIN stereo was the same - it's just knowing where the fasteners are located on the dashboard fascia, so I don't snap something vital! I may as well also replace the blown illumination bulbs behind the heater controls while I've got the whole thing removed; not sure which ones I need for that yet.

Ford and VW units that use the old-style twin-prong release tool are just that bit quicker to heave in and out. As many a young scallywag was well aware...

3 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

I'll not be discarding the original unit, never fear! I'll try and see if I can get it working again.

Glad you like it and cheers for giving me space in the house! 😂

4 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

From memory, the plastic “pod” should simply un-clip, just pull it towards yourself when sitting in the car.

image.jpeg.0d1cff584457b281fb006807f79b0e5d.jpeg

I remember helping fit a stereo in my friend Fintan’s facelift saloon many moons ago. We swapped it out for a very flash double din unit as you can get double din versions of the “pod”, we got one from the Toyota dealer for quite a reasonable sum.

image.jpeg.b55419e9e03f643a1d9eed8d20886f63.jpeg

Edited by MorrisItalSLX
Added pictures for clarity

Today's arrival: a mildly banana'd Haynes Book of Lies:

IMG_20220412_162105.thumb.jpg.19f91083162665909fe5cbfa5513650f.jpg

At least now I know the tyres should be running at 32psi front and back, and that I should be filling it with 10w/30 oil.

It's been tipping it down all day, else I would have gone out at lunchtime and started pulling bits apart...

Had a very, very quarter-arsed attempt to swap the stereo over yesterday afternoon.

Tugging limply at the stereo pod on top of the dash didn't seem to do very much, given the limited leverage and the fact the PO had slathered everything in hi-gloss sooper-slick interior spray. A quick riffle through the HBOL suggested that it was secured from below with a couple of screws.

I popped the central air vents out, then screamed in horror as all the little directional flippy-flaps fell out and scattered into the footwells.

Car: 1, Idiot: 0.

It seemed that I also needed to get the plastic surround for the vents off in order to expose the screw heads; now, this surround was meant to just pop off, but assorted prodding with a blunt kitchen knife didn't seem to persuade it all that much.

Tugging at the surround by hooking my fingers at the back did reveal mucho dirt, crumbly black foam from around the vent ducts, and more 'orrible slippery silicone dash spray residue.

Eventually I stopped my ham-fisted hauling before I broke something important.

I'll see if I can find something more appropriate to winkle out the air vent surround, and have another go at some point.

I thought I'd reassembled the vent direction flaps ok, but they now don't much seem to want to direct the airflow.

Oh well.

Car: 2, Idiot: 0.

Rematch to be decided.

Oh, I'll get it sorted okay - I must have fitted hundreds of head units to customers' cars during my years at Halfords; I think I'm just out of practice, or possibly less gung-ho about attacking a dashboard than I used to be.

Also, I hate the feel of that slippy-silicone 'interior shine' spray whenever it gets on my fingers. Gives me the squick.

I may have to take hot soapy water and a toothbrush to selected bits of the dash to remove the nasty gunk, and also not try to do it in a hurry.

With the house move now imminent, the 'Rolla has been called upon to do some load-lugging.

It can actually swallow a fair amount with the rear seats laid flat.

IMG_20220415_200139.thumb.jpg.774f6c988d26d029163b8f4b044332c9.jpg

Fair play.

In less happy news, after several weeks of messaging another Outback owner - who professed an interest in mine for spares, but couldn't be tied down re. dates or logistics - sadly it seems that time's up for the crispy fried Subaru of many Shiters. I need it off the driveway urgently.

1677186672_Screenshot_20220421-1334362.thumb.png.f1c8f34bfcd61e583a5dbe56def914ee.png

Not quite the outcome any of us hoped for - but with the MOT long since expired and the insurance swapped over onto the Toyota last month, offering this onto the open market to the mouth-breathing twonks general public could only end in more headaches. I've enough metaphorical plates to keep spinning right now; this is just another thing that needs to not be nipping at me.

I've cancelled the legal fig-leaf MOT booking for mid-May, which should also net me a £30 refund - giving a grand total of £390 back my way.

IMG_20220330_195017.thumb.jpg.89118148a275f3c0609e128a29a58549.jpg

It's such a nice driving big thing, and I'll really miss it. Every single owner it had on this forum has done their damnedest to help it live on; I kinda feel like I'm the one letting the side down by admitting defeat.

But ultimately it's Subaru's own lack of rustproofing which has been the problem - and watching that episode of Hoovie's Garage featuring a Subaru Baja of similar vintage reassures me that it's maybe the right decision... once the underbody on these things starts to go, it seems to go pretty swiftly.

I'm not sure what lies behind the plastic panels on mine, but I daresay it's nothing good.

It's been a blast - but I think that's me and the Subaru marque done for now...

• Datsuncog changed the title to Datsuncog's Heaps: 26/04/22 - The Scrapman Cometh...

So, I knew it was coming.

IMG_20220426_004733.thumb.jpg.d774ecc88f6a5b042bb0c452c1eb5fa6.jpg

Last night I cleared out my assorted bits and bobs from the Outback, and pulled it up the drive ready for the morning.

Heartbreakingly, it started right on the button - despite not having been used for a month. The drive belt wasn't even squealing.

I mean, the EML, ABS and Cruise lights were still flashing away on the binnacle, but you know what I mean.

Like I said six months ago, I hate this bit.

I'd intended to take a proper set of memorial photos this morning, but the knock at the door came bang on 8 o'clock, just as I was pulling my trousers on.

There's just something about not having trousers on that puts anyone at an immediate disadvantage.

It was time.

The incongruously cheery guy with the truck seemed surprised that it was starting and driving. People always seem surprised that my cars start and drive, for some reason. Odd, that.

He also seemed surprised that it was the rust that had put the final nail in the coffin.

"I thought Subarus were indestructible?"

Aye, pal. I used to think that too, once. You live and learn, hey?

I still feel like a shitheel about scrapping this one; there's a great car there, but it seems that Subarus just don't survive here in the frozen north.

Modern as it looks, it's still a seventeen year old car- and to be fair, it's given its all. I bought it cheaply as an end-of-life car with many caveats from its previous owners on this forum, and it did the job I bought it to do. My only regret is that its story's ending with me.

IMG_20220426_080451.thumb.jpg.6262b8896c3a53ddc08494df39cae3c5.jpg

With more skills, time and enthusiasm, maybe I could have fixed it - but my track record there isn't exactly great. And with the house move seemingly happening next week, a non-legal car to get in the way was just a hassle no-one needs.

IMG_20220426_080519.thumb.jpg.c94858c24de861051ed1707e1497ae93.jpg

And there's also the fact that on the only three occasions MrsDC and I tried to venture any further than the shops in it, it started making weird untraceable noises and throwing up warning lights, causing us twice to turn back and take the Yaris instead. Bitter experience has taught me that it's nigh-on impossible to overcome spousal disapproval of a car.

But that's the way it goes. At least this one never broke down or stranded us, so that puts it head and shoulders above certain other cars I've owned...

IMG_20220426_080531.thumb.jpg.0d1113cebe817ef2e2e5dd3a1e56dcfa.jpg

CarTakeBack just act as a broker for scrap merchants, so while the Forester was lifted by Euro Autospares, a specialist breaker from up the country - allowing me some solace that it might help others live on - this time round it was Clearway doing the lifting.

Clearway are a general recycling firm based in Belfast's docklands. They don't break cars for spares. They just... process them.

IMG_20220426_080537.thumb.jpg.70476630e2907f4b943f027d859ac5f2.jpg

Gaaah.

So that was it, pretty much. I handed over the V5, and was given a cheque in exchange.

And off it went, to meet a fate I'd much rather not think about in any depth.

I couldn't quite muster the same sense of profound sadness and regret as the Forester this time round; I suppose there hasn't really been as much time to bond with this one, nor have there been all that many adventures - other than the initial collection.

Or maybe I'm just getting more flinty and hard-hearted in my old age.

In any event, a consolatory breakfast of waffles was produced, and I scanned in the cheque using my banking app.

With every man and his dog seemingly standing around right now with their hand out looking me to give them money - because OMFG HOUSE MOVE - Lord knows I can use the cash right now.

About an hour and a half after the wagon left,  the CoD dropped into my inbox.

These lads don't hang around, plainly.

And that, I suppose, is that.

A last goodnight to the wee Subaru fae Edinburgh.

And on we go...

Yup, I've enough on my plate fielding calls from solicitors, movers and the mortgage company - the last thing I need is a bunch of muppets from Facebook Marketplace offering me £80 2nite m8?/ swap for JingLing scooter (dusn't run)??/ BEST PRICE????

Nah.

I tried with the other Outback owner who bought the snow tyres off me in December; he seemed keen to take it at first for £450, but then went quiet. Once I had to swap the insurance over for the Corolla, getting it over to him on the far side of Belfast would have been a bollock, so... it was probably the best way to  deal with it.

Cheers for the automotive sympathy, folks!

Twas the decent thing to do, I'm sure you'll have forgotten about it by the morning. I've had 3 cars from here now that have ended their life with my by natural causes (blue laguna), yeeted away before they caused me a fucking bad commute home (silver laguna with a fucked slave cylinder and already rattling dmf) and scrapped because the mot was up in a week, it needed far too much work for me to do in that time and the work I attempted on it ended in misery and seized bolts and fucking more rubber boots than were fucked before I started (406)

You've also swerved the pain of having to move it with you with your house move I guess!