Copart

smellmycheese

My daily xc90 got hit on the front last week, not my fault. Girl admitted liability at the road side, on the phone to Hastings direct, who we're both insured with. Both cars recovered by R.N.W. and mines been taken to copart who've written it off. Thing is i've rebuilt the motor and the gearbox is practically brand new so I need to buy it back but on here people seem to think if it's gone...it's gone. I thought I'd get the opportunity to buy it back???

• Like 1

They don't have to offer, and if it's at CoPart then it sounds like the wheels are in motion to get rid.

They should be offering your personal stuff back out of the car though, so hopefully it's not moved from storge into the stripping for spares area!

I'd phone CoPart to check the status, and get onto your insurer as soon as possible. The rule (which is sadly too late to be useful right now) is never let the car leave your posession until you're happy you'll never see it againn.

• Like 1

I hate to say it, but if you have let them recover it, then it's not very encouraging news. Never let them take it if you want to keep it.

How does that work then - dead car at the side of the road or in a tree like when I wrote my modern off and you're not going to let them recover it?

Won't the RAC / AA recover damaged cars as well as broken down ones?

I passed a Galaxy (the Ford, not a massive collection of stars and planets) on the back of an RAC truck with all the side stoved in yesterday.

Won't the RAC / AA recover damaged cars as well as broken down ones?

I passed a Galaxy (the Ford, not a massive collection of stars and planets) on the back of an RAC truck with all the side stoved in yesterday.

Not included in a membership no.

Insurers might use them

I have a recovery agents next to my unit and they have very limited storage so charge very high daily storage. The insurer will get copart to go get it as it will save them a lot in storage fees. I don't know if you could get it back or even would want to after Copart have been at it. They are not very gentle with motors and even if it was driveable they would move it with a forklift so likely to cop a lot of extra damage. Contact your insurer and see what the score is, just don't buy it back from Copart they charge stupid money in fee's.

How does that work then - dead car at the side of the road or in a tree like when I wrote my modern off and you're not going to let them recover it?

Being me [hoarder], I just get on the blower and organise my own recovery. When Jizz no 1 was immobilized, I sent Mrs H and kids 19 miles home in a taxi and spent €130 getting the car recovered. Reimbursed by other party's insurers.

If it was miles away, I'd probably let my insurers organise, but only if they agree to dump it on my drive.

Either way, decisions need to be made very early doors if there is any whiff of wanting to keep quality used spares.

RAC include accident recovery. Others don't.

Depends on the accident. If plod want it shifted pronto then they are going to get their brother from the lodge preferred contractor to remove the vehicle and store it. Been stung with that bill before.

I had a read, seems RAC offer "accident management" as part of their policy which includes own brand ambiance chasers and vehicle movement. Probably to their own compound where they'll charge you a fortune.

This is what I do every day..Did you organise recovery? If the police lifted it through the scheme, then it will go back to the contractors yard until your insurance inform copart to lift it and take to their yard.The recovery company will remove any belongings and store them for the owner. Copart pay the recovery company the fee's and usually you will find the car is the in their yard for dismantling or put into a salvage auction under the appropriate category.

If the police use their contracted agent then you have no choice in the matter if the car is a danger or obstruction, if you can arrange suitable recovery in a reasonable time and there is no danger or obstruction then they will usually agree to this. Fee's by a police appointed recovery agent are fixed and subject to vat etc.

Be wary of companies including accident recovery, they may well if it's a fender bender, but if the vehicle is in a ditch spilling oil and fuel every where then they won't. As always with insurance companies, read the small print.....

• Like 2

The AA will recover you at a cost. If you don't specify an accident when you call it in - make up something along the lines of 'Car won't go (for whatever reason)' then chat to the chap that turns up. Chances are they won't give a shit and will arrange getting you towed/recovered as if it's a normal breakdown, they don't seem to mind (I'm sure one or two will but...) as it's no skin off their nose. That's what I did when I dropped my Bandit, the guy just called up relay and they got me home FOC. 

This is what I do every day..Did you organise recovery? If the police lifted it through the scheme, then it will go back to the contractors yard until your insurance inform copart to lift it and take to their yard.The recovery company will remove any belongings and store them for the owner. Copart pay the recovery company the fee's and usually you will find the car is the in their yard for dismantling or put into a salvage auction under the appropriate category.

If the police use their contracted agent then you have no choice in the matter if the car is a danger or obstruction, if you can arrange suitable recovery in a reasonable time and there is no danger or obstruction then they will usually agree to this. Fee's by a police appointed recovery agent are fixed and subject to vat etc.

Be wary of companies including accident recovery, they may well if it's a fender bender, but if the vehicle is in a ditch spilling oil and fuel every where then they won't. As always with insurance companies, read the small print.....

My insurance company (hastings) organised recovery. I've spent a fortune on it and they'll give me buttons for it. I need it back.

Hastings use a company called interpartner,who will have sent out their appointed recovery agent, who would have taken it back to their yard for storage before copart got the car.If the car has gone to copart, then it's written off. I've never heard of copart collecting a car, then it later going back to the owner.

When I crashed my MG,the insurance company(Aviva)organised the recovery.It was stuck down a steep slope in some woods,& needed an HGV to pull it out,so,I doubt my RAC recovery membership would have covered it.The recovery company are a local independant,& took the car & me back to mine without any problems.I think a lot of people are in shock after an accident & don't really think about where the car is going once it gets on the truck.

Has this been taken to the Sandycroft copart? If so I have a mate who works there driving the diggers/loaders if you would like me to get in touch to ask any questions let me know.

• Like 2

Until the point that the insurance companies offer is accepted then the car is still your property.

I would be getting a trailer and fetching it back. If they are arsy about it you can always say that you will bring a third party claim against the other driver rather than using your insurance company.

In my case I got a bag full of broken glass and no fucking sat nav.

grahamtaylor.jpg

DINLT

I've spent a fortune on it and they'll give me buttons for it. I need it back.

grahamtaylor.jpg

DINLT x2

Sorry to say: you're humped.

Has this been taken to the Sandycroft copart? If so I have a mate who works there driving the diggers/loaders if you would like me to get in touch to ask any questions let me know.

Not sure where it's gone. Will find out when they open on Wednesday and let you know. Thanks for the offer

Until the point that the insurance companies offer is accepted then the car is still your property.

I would be getting a trailer and fetching it back. If they are arsy about it you can always say that you will bring a third party claim against the other driver rather than using your insurance company.

How would I go on with hastings paying out if I done this??

When I crashed my MG,the insurance company(Aviva)organised the recovery.It was stuck down a steep slope in some woods,& needed an HGV to pull it out,so,I doubt my RAC recovery membership would have covered it.The recovery company are a local independant,& took the car & me back to mine without any problems.I think a lot of people are in shock after an accident & don't really think about where the car is going once it gets on the truck.

In my experience the recovery driver was trying to insist that he take my car back to his yard so he could score mega storage fees rather than deliver it to my friend's garage who was staying late, waiting for the car to turn up. He needed a stern talking to by both me and my mate at the garage before "obliging".

DINLT means what? I'm fucked?

"DO I NOT LIKE THAT" was mr Taylor's catchphrase.

Some shite spoken in this thread but Barry Cade has it spot on, these companies are here to make a living and be professional but if you know your way around the game, you know what's going to be written off the minute it turns up at the yard, categorizing is up to the assessor, there are some guidelines but honestly it's a minefield.

As for turning up at copart good luck with that, off the top of my head it's:

£250 recovery

£15-35 a DAY storage

£50-100 road clean up fee

So budget on giving copart at least £6-700 of your hard earned and probably not able to get it out through red tape etc. The minute you claimed your car became the insurance companies liability and effectively their property, they'll want this settled ASAP as their footing the bills so keep everything civil and polite and ALWAYS WITHOUT FAIL REJECT the first few offers, ensure that you RECIEVE the amount they offer, not less any outstanding charges.

Your best bet is to wait for it to clear, get paid out then bid on it through copart, being an old Volvo my guess is it's going to be a couple of hundred car to them nothing more. Yes there'll be fees but if you offer to "buy it back" from the insurance company then you may suddenly find yourself liable for the fees.

You've done everything right so far, leave the insurance deal with it as after all, that's what you pay them for. The fact she's admitted liability is awesome news anyway.