New (to me) Saab

pompei

My impressions of the 9-3 weren't favourable. It felt like a cheap Vauxhall. I think it was made during a time when GM were cost-cutting and it really suffered.

Mine had a squeaky interior and the dash-trim was awful - hard scratchy black plastic.

Typically soft Saab seats though.

I had the Aero, which had a fantastic HOT engine, but the Aero was actually relatively low spec in standard form, and I think maybe if you opt for a Vector or something you'll get a better interior/more goodies.

Photograph of mine in my sig.

The 2004 9-3 I purchased from Vantman of this parish has been hands down the best car I've ever owned. it is 'Linear' spec 1.8t (150bhp) and a auto gearbox.

I'd not hesitate to recommend them after my ownership experience, I've replaced all the brakes and pads and its had a new set of tyres and I've serviced it myself so maintenance isn't a pro job only.

As RY says, the seats are supremely comfortable on a long journey and cruising at 70mph is effortless, about 2200rpm in 5th.

I've also managed to wrangle 36+ mpg out of it over 9k of mixed driving so its not ridiculously thirsty considering its heavy and automatic.

Get one, they really are superb. My 'tell me moar' thread is here and has lots of useful info about them

After my RX8 pretty much burnt all my money on fuel and then depreciation when selling it, I needed a car quick to replace it. Despite hating Saabs, my parents were getting rid of their unreliable 9-3 and so I paid part-ex price hence I got it cheap.

In their ownership (4 years 12k to 115k), they had the following problems: 

1. road springs collapsed
2. alternator failure
3. turbo failure
4. egr clogged and replaced
5. egr clogged again and replaced again - apparently with a new design
6. leak from aircon pipe or the compressor - hasn't been fixed yet. dealer reckons new compressor, independent recons a new pipe, possibly compressor.
7. injector 3 open/short circuit (cleaned connector, reset code, appears to work ok now, would buy the replacement repair kit and fix myself)
8. swirl valve looks like it has been replaced in the cars life (plastic moulding is date stamped 07 - I guess the dealer changed it the same time as the turbo?) 
9. steering wheel lock fault
10. climate control text on buttons wearing off to plastic underneath
11. passenger door check strap bolts fell out (luckily found and reattached)
12. dash lights stayed on after locking doors (appeared to have fixed itself after battery went flat after a holiday)
13. Judder at idle (intermittent and still on-going)
14. Saab badges have lost their logos
15. Gear knob broken and doesn't stay on the gear shaft (still broken, currently held in place with a fruit pastel wrapper!)
16. Water pump needed replacing (and only after my parents had the cambelt changed 20k before!)

... and probably some other faults that I've forgotten!

When I owned it, the following things went in the year and half:
1. Wiring for back ABS sensor chaffed through - easy fix
2. DMF was on its way out and rattling.
3. Airbag light came on. Checked all the wiring for the airbag at fault, all perfectly fine. Put a test resistor on, it still was on. So was the airbag module at fault.
4. air con worked a couple of times, a leak somewhere in the pipe work.
5. passenger central locking was temperamental
6. keys rubber finish melting. But that's probably because we both put hand cream on.
7. Air recirculation control flap motor broke. Inside it was a big cog that lost a tooth. Opened it up, pushed it off the shaft, turned 180 degrees and pushed back on. All working again.

Then on the M4, this happened...
post-20071-0-94405400-1450869665_thumb.jpg
post-20071-0-80512500-1450869684_thumb.jpg

Van behind was looking at the accident the other side. Traffic in front slowed down suddenly, I braked. By the time he looked back of the road, its was too late. I was in the middle and took most of the force.

Airbags deployed, write-off. That last picture still makes me sad to see :(
Side note - the windscreen was shattered by the force of the passenger airbag going off. Given how strong modern windscreens are (the Saab is designed to have a Moose hit the car), it shows you how much force is let out. I'd hate to see the consequences in an accident with a passenger having their feet on the dash over a airbag.

So with all these problems my one had, would I have another one??

Hell yes!

Amazingly comfy, pretty quick but you didn't feel like you needed to use the performance all the time. It was the perfect anti-dote to my RX8.

Just I'd probably get a petrol. The Petrol's (apart from the povo 1.8 non turbo) are all Saab designed lumps. Give nearly as good in fuel economy as the diesel. But massively more reliable.

The 1.9 Diesel is a FPT (Fiat Powertrain) engine that is used in the Vauxhalls/Opel/Fiat/Alfa. Bare in mind, most of those big problems above were engine related.

Oh I've been in a Vectra C that the motoring press keeps on harping on that the Saab is based on.

Firstly iirc Saab designed the platform and Opel/Vauxhall then used it. Some parts are interchangeable, but not all.

Secondly completely different cars. The Vectra was noticeably less refined, much noisier, uncomfortable seats, felt cheap and wasn't a patch on the Saab.

Side note - the windscreen was shattered by the force of the passenger airbag going off. Given how strong modern windscreens are (the Saab is designed to have a Moose hit the car), it shows you how much force is let out. I'd hate to see the consequences in an accident with a passenger having their feet on the dash over a airbag.

I've had to tell my daughters off for doing this. "Child, if we get in an accident the airbag will quite literally fold you in half. Put your feet down" were the exact words I used I believe.

My modern is an 06 93 1.9 Tid (150) vector sport sportwagon (try saying that after a few beers!)

Apart from the stiff gear change (fnar fnar) it's been totally bomb proof. Not entirely convinced the quality is as good as the old 9000 I used to smoke about in, but it's quick, comfortable and averages 44-47 mpgs with a fairly heavy right foot!

Get used to pulling the EGR/boost pressure sensor out for cleaning if you do a few short runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My modern is an 06 93 1.9 Tid (150) vector sport sportwagon (try saying that after a few beers!)

Apart from the stiff gear change (fnar fnar) it's been totally bomb proof. Not entirely convinced the quality is as good as the old 9000 I used to smoke about in, but it's quick, comfortable and averages 44-47 mpgs with a fairly heavy right foot!

Get used to pulling the EGR/boost pressure sensor out for cleaning if you do a few short runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you know about this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-9-3-Sport-Stiff-Gear-Tower-Turret-Repair-Fix-Kit-55556311-6-Speed-Gearbox-/221522181572?hash=item3393c03dc4:g:s~0AAOSw7NNT65A-

The 9-5 is markedly better in terms of build quality and luxury than the 9-3 of the same era. I sat in a 9-5 Aero (which was, mechanically, as fucked as you could possibly imagine, which I only found out when driving), and the interior is fucking awesome.

A 9-5 2.3t with 180hp, especially in wagon form and Vector spec, is a sure-fire win. The only thing it will have is the usual dual mass flywheel, but if you can convert it easily to single then you're laughing.

I've had to tell my daughters off for doing this. "Child, if we get in an accident the airbag will quite literally fold you in half. Put your feet down" were the exact words I used I believe.

My mum was called into casualty one weekend to do an emergency X-ray on a woman who was in a car crash while sitting with her feet on the dashboard. No air bags in those days, but broken tibia and fibia, both femurs and two broken hips. Oh, and a broken jaw from smacking herself in the face whith a kneecap. Don't do it folks!

I've been considering one of the 2003-onwards 9-3 convertibles, are they not GM SHITE?  It'd be a petrol one, with autobox because of Mrs Pirate's dodgy knee.  I have looked at the previous model, but finding a sound one is proving very difficult - then there's the bulkhead cracks and engine sludging to consider.

Oh yes, the 2.2 engine is quite agricultural when started from cold. Mine has a quite a loud turbo whistle, and it sounds like a whale being harpooned when you give it a bootful! I was concerned about it at first, but it pulls cleanly and its been about 26k since I bought it like that so I'm not concerned anymore.

Oh yes, the 2.2 engine is quite agricultural when started from cold. Mine has a quite a loud turbo whistle, and it sounds like a whale being harpooned when you give it a bootful! I was concerned about it at first, but it pulls cleanly and its been about 26k since I bought it like that so I'm not concerned anymore.

Your running costs are hilarious. If you just consider purchase price vs miles covered it comes out around 2ppm!

Add fuel costs and it can't shoot up much higher if you're doing 45mpg combined.

Bangernomics done properly.

I've been considering one of the 2003-onwards 9-3 convertibles, are they not GM SHITE?  It'd be a petrol one, with autobox because of Mrs Pirate's dodgy knee.  I have looked at the previous model, but finding a sound one is proving very difficult - then there's the bulkhead cracks and engine sludging to consider.

I've a saloon which you're welcome to try as its a pez and auto so you should get the idea about the mechanicals from. The sludging only really affects the b205 engine (and to a much lesser extent the B204) but the later B207 (like mine) was redesigned and is much less succeptible/largely immune depending on who you ask. The key is the B207 has a silver rocker, then B205 has a black one.