Talk to me about Saab 9-3s

Stanky

So, I'm contemplating a saloon-shaped upgrade to the current wheel-a-ma-tron and have been thinking about Saabs.

Now, these are quite new, I grant you that, however I hoped that the combination of the manufacturer having gone bust and it being 'basically a vectra m8' will grant a Saab 9-3 some credibility around these parts.

The model I'm looking at is a 2003 - bankruptcy one, pez, turbo, tintop, manual what should I be aware of?

Am I right thinking they all have the same engine, a 2.0 litre turbo in various states of tune between 150 and 210bhp? How rapidly do the top spec ones eat front tyres? I do about 14k miles a year now so I'd hope new rubber would be no more frequent than annual, assuming I opt for a half-decent make?

The engines have cam chains so no belt to worry about, had they cured the 'sludging' issue by this point? I have read conflicting info about this. I'd be looking for FSH where possible.

Is anything mechanical Saab-specific? Again I have read that you can usually get a vectra equivalent part which is utterly identical for about 1/3 the price of whatever the Saab part is. Is this really the case?

Oh, and finally - how bad is the understeer? I think its the 9-5's that are renowned for this, but as they share a platform is the 9-3 still fundamentally flawed? I'm no racer, but do like to take the scenic route home from time to time which involves a fun, and mildly demanding blezz on the A272. I would prefer not to understeer into a ditch/tree/bridge unexpectedly.

Thnkyougoodbye

Thanks Twosmoke,

My standard commute is 25 miles of motorways and a-roads so comfort and enough oomph to keep up with / overtake when required is high on the requirements list. How compliant is the suspension?

Cheers for the pointer re silver rocker covers - nice and easy to spot instead of 'cars after VIN AFKMFHNSDCKODMFRHFJSDBFHSNDVFBHSDCNDSKJVBUIRHCJDBCHCIWSRJVOIFJBKDFNVIOEFRJVR

FI394R5748569823UEIENC8U9EYF2843FU2EHF7243HFURWVUQYF8UFEFU8RVUEUFRV7U9345YFHRVJ  might be alright assuming they weren't made on a odd-numbered day of the week, or sold from a dealer with a vowel in their name'.

Shite. Vectra unreliability without the cheap spares.

Vectra parts look the same but aren't and the Saab bits are always much dearer.

Engines sludge and go bang even with a good service history.

The worst era of GM cost cutting and poor quality.

Convertibles look great but have terrible steering and boat like handling.

I've had two and they both needed constant fixing.

Admire their good looks as you walk past someone else's one and never have one yourself. That's my advice.

I run a 2004 9-3 auto as a daily driver,its a 2 litre turbo badged as 1.8. A comfortable barge that goes well considering its a base spec Linear but I couldn't say about understeer as I am a giffer and don't feel the need for press on motoring. I have done 7000 miles in ten months and all I have renewed is a sidelamp bulb plus it never uses oil or water. AFAIK cracked bulkheads only apply to early convertibles.

I had a 9-3 2.0 low pressure turbo (150bhp) 2000 on an x.Used as an only car-commuting and town pootling

Bought it for 450.

Bad

Fuck all driver feedback theough brakes/steering/suspension.

Handling= supertanker

Ignition key was a pain in the arse.

Decided it liked to nom coolant.

Mrs said it was too big to reverse park.

Arch rot like a poor mans SD1.

tyre size expensive.

Good

It averaged 40.4mpg over 10k miles.

Pretty much anything you can think of (bar my polo!) Could do the same job better.

How about a 2001 convertible? 

BAE0FB45-028D-4255-AC67-4C775289761B_zps

That looks lovely, but I'm going to have to find a 4-door ue to family demands. Domestic management also has a very tight grip on the purse-strings so it will have to get her stamp of approval, which a soft-top wont - sadly for me.

It always makes me chuckle when people moan about Saab 9-3 handling being so bad but also so much cavalier love when they have the same chassis setup

Cavaliers handle well enough for a standard family car, but the SAAB NG900/9-3 was supposed to compete against posher cars. Chopping the roof off an already wobbly body shell made it much worse.

I don't know about newer ones, but transverse SAABs are pretty crap to drive, 9000s don't handle well either.

My dad has had one for longer than he's had any other car (nearly 3 years). It's an aero hirsch convertible so has plenty of power but doesn't invite the driver to use it. Flexes horrifically as well, more with the roof down but it has been 100% reliable

I had a 9-3 diesel (2004) which died due to engine/DMF/clutch issues.  Heater failed, needed all sorts of consumables at an alarming rate. Really shite stereo.  Comfy though.  Would not have another.

But ...

I bought a 2002 9-5 Aero (250bhp) which is another story altogether. It's petrol (2.3) goes like stink, is comfy and not crippling on juice.  It handles well for a big old barge too  -  much better than the 9-3. It is fooking enormous though.

Worth considering?

I really like mine, had it 10 months now. I have to admit you get the sense that the GM cost accountants had a hand in the finished product. I have the 1.8t (2.0 150bhp) and find it has loads of torque for a petrol.

I put 4 new tyres on when I bought it and the fronts are on 3-4mm now after 15k some I'm hoping to get towards 20k out of them. Mine is an anniversary special (56 reg) and has built in sat nav, colour coded door handles and embossed leather heated seats. The seats are really nice in my view. I bought it on 70k, now on 85k and rising. Economy is slightly disappointing, been getting 33-36 but was hoping for 38ish. Just done a service of all filters,plugs & oil and may have improved economy but not done a full tank yet.

I may be moving mine on soon as doing 20k+ a year I reluctantly think a diesel would be better and in just over a month will have 3 children under 6 and the Saab doesn't look like it will easily take the 2 seats and booster.

Problem wise, I found a broken rear spring after purchase, the remote key sometimes stopped operating the central locking but removing car battery for 10mins sorted that. I've also replaced the battery, but that might have been my own fault after using this car to jump my wife's and incorrectly connecting jump leads.

I think the car is very suited to me and I'd like to keep it longer. It may fall short of prestige sector, but I honestly think the Saab is a bit different and offers excellent value for money at the prices you can get them at.

Hi Stroller,

What sort of price we're you thinking you'd punt it on for? I'm semi interested, but also want to get a feel for the price a half-decent one would go for. The prices on Auto-raider seem to vary hugely and its not immediately clear why this is. 

I don't want to buy just yet, as I'm still in my probationary period at my new job and want some job stability before I go off to buy shiny fast things - but I may be tempted if its still about in 3 months or so and the price is right.

which scab has the dame edna headlamps with the kwaliti* chrome trim round them?

i saw one yesterday on the way home, i thought it looked ok but is it really a proper scab, or just some cavalier in drag?

is the diesel engines some fiat thing?

which is what alot of folks must have thought given how saab when pop. just like MGR.....

still i'd prefer one of them on my drive to some hun thing.

I like Saab 9-3s, and keep trying to tell myself that a convertible one would be a really stupid idea as a daily driver left outside in an area of Glasgow that's often on fire, but they're just so damn cheap at the moment and a convertible is an itch I've never scratched.

My knowledge of them is patchy. The bulkhead thing is only on the older ones (pre 2003) and there are kits to prevent it but once the cracks are there it's not an easy welding job to fix. More prevalent on the droptops unsurprisingly.

My mate's got a 2007 tractor engined (from a Vectra, think it is Fiat based) estate and it's a nice enough thing but the engine totally ruins it IMO. It's been reliable up to now but seems to be starting that expensive diseasel 10 year/100k mile parts replacement stage. Things weren't like that when I had my 160k mile 900 turbo I can tell you...

I can never really understand the 'It's a Vectra underneath' comments tbh . A lot of cars nowadays are based loosely on something else, and it certainly doesn't feel like a Vectra to drive, any more than a Jag X type feels like a Mondeo or a Skoda Octavia feels like an Audi TT.

I'd have a 9-3, or a 9-5, with the most powerful petrol engine I could find, for as little as possible. Joining the UKSaabs forum is a good idea too.