Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - Rain Stops play for the Carlton Estate.

Six-cylinder

The vinyl hoods don't tend to last. I put one on my 2CV in 2000, and had to replace it again just two years later. They're crap. The canvas ones Matt sells are far superior. Fitted mine over 12 years ago. I'd get some gaffer tape on your old one until it is replaced!

As Richard says, they're very easy to fit. Two bolts and two screws are all that holds the hood to the car. Personally, I'd always opt for full roof back, because it's much quieter and kinder to the roof.

The vinyl hoods don't tend to last. I put one on my 2CV in 2000, and had to replace it again just two years later. They're crap. The canvas ones Matt sells are far superior. Fitted mine over 12 years ago. I'd get some gaffer tape on your old one until it is replaced!

As Richard says, they're very easy to fit. Two bolts and two screws are all that holds the hood to the car. Personally, I'd always opt for full roof back, because it's much quieter and kinder to the roof.

Mine is missing the poppers to hold the rolled roof and being very slit I did not want to touch it yesterday. I have glued a length of vinyl under the slip but that is opening up now. I don't know how long I will be able to keep all these cars and I think the 2CV will be an easy one to sell so don't want to spend more than necessary. Nobody wants a Visa!

The Visa GT vendor is the guy I got my orange twin pot from. It was sat outside covered in weeds when I saw it, and looked like it had been there a long time. He's got loads of old Citroen and stuff knocking about. Harrogate and back in a day is a long way, though...

• Like 1

I now have Mrs 6C saying buy the better 2CV hood, She reminds me how ours has gone from a very small slit to a wreck in just over a year.

There is also in the back of my mind that while the 2CV will be an easy car to sell, if I do so I will never be able to afford another one. It is not that I don't want a 2CV, so maybe I should just keep it for as long as I can, then a better hood makes sense.

I now have Mrs 6C saying buy the better 2CV hood, She reminds me how ours has gone from a very small slit to a wreck in just over a year.

There is also in the back of my mind that while the 2CV will be an easy car to sell, if I do so I will never be able to afford another one. It is not that I don't want a 2CV, so maybe I should just keep it for as long as I can, then a better hood makes sense.

I have this "problem" with mine. I don't really use it, but if I sold it, I'd soon want another and couldn't afford one.

Given that it's not in your way, and presumably not costing you money each month ( other than running costs) then it's not worth selling and you may as well buy the better hood.

3 friends did here to mongolia in a singer/humber thingy :D

in poland on the way back

this

post-4817-0-05675600-1472426299_thumb.jpg

bloke owned it from new they said :D

i asked them did they bring it back they said no :D

• Like 3

I have spent my weekend at two different events with the Independent BMW 7 series register and yes there are OCD polishers among them!

Monday was a local show and Sunday was the Little Grandsden Airshow complete with airplanes and a 40% size model that crashed in a ball of fire!

post-4787-0-55234900-1472545908_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-84156000-1472545956_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-27171700-1472546003_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-55894200-1472546033_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-62789200-1472546067_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-86559400-1472549678_thumb.jpg

Another trip out for the Sovereign S2 today, a local show but it was spoilt by the weather that alternated between drizzle and proper rain, meaning there were only half as many cars as last year. A Daimler is a nice place to read a book and drink coffee!

The S2 feels a comfortable sure footed place to be and confidence has built up so that Mrs 6C is happy to take it on the M40 at rush hour.

post-4787-0-65802400-1472921851_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-42735700-1472921886_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The engine on the MG Metro has now had its bores honed, new ring and the cylinder head converted to unleaded. The gearbox has been inspected and declared in good condition. I have collected it and I need to clean and paint it and then return it to my favourite garage who are going to fit it for me.

post-4787-0-59018700-1472922445_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The LNA engine has also progressed as I have found a local mobile mechanic with older Citroen experience, he has removed the cylinder head, had it pressure tested, skimmed, new value stem seals and put it back on, I can't wait for Wednesdays next thrilling episode of FIX the LNA.

post-4787-0-70333700-1472922940_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-82266100-1472922961_thumb.jpg

I took a day off work today and spent most of the time cleaning and painting the LNA wheels as the local garage has the new tyres I ordered. It had three flat tyres and it needs wheels to be pushed into position for engine refitting, not sure when yet but I have bought an engine crane.

post-4787-0-61453300-1473188464_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Bit of a white theme, but then Chris Evans painted all his ferraris white...2cv raises the chromic threshold a bit.

I would be in big trouble if I painted Mrs 6C's Ferrari white!!

I have spent my weekend at two different events with the Independent BMW 7 series register and yes there are OCD polishers among them!

Monday was a local show and Sunday was the Little Grandsden Airshow complete with airplanes and a 40% size model that crashed in a ball of fire!

post-4787-0-55894200-1472546033.jpg

I'm pretty sure that plane, or something very much like it, flew over Cholmondeley on Sunday. I tried to get a pic, but didn't have my zoom lens on.

Mrs 6C has also been complaining I have put too many white cars on the drive

Surely the solution is just to purchase some more coloured cars?

• Like 2

Bit of a white theme, but then Chris Evans painted all his ferraris white...2cv raises the chromic threshold a bit.

but hes a cnut and that smith bloke has better taste in cars

vinyl wrap the sov for a larf :D

how much an hour to have a spin in the 2cv :D

Mrs 6C has also been complaining I have put too many white cars on the drive, but I think it is a magnificent view.

And three on the drive are Ex AS.

she doth complaineth too much verily

Surely the solution is just to purchase some more coloured cars?

ask mikeeeee :lol: