What has two seats, a mid-mounted 6 cylinder engine, and a turbo? Water pump failure (clickbait...)

mat_the_cat

Progress is slow, but still better than nothing!

I managed to mount the new inverter tucked away down the side of where the AC unit will go:

post-5223-0-20583600-1492891743_thumb.jpg

It also needed a mains feed to it, as it detects when you are connected to the mains to give that priority over 12V power. That was a strange connector which I'd never seen before, but a bit of internet searching found one.

post-5223-0-67601100-1492891780_thumb.jpg

And all connected up!

post-5223-0-58776500-1492892348_thumb.jpg

I'm still keeping the original inverter to power the rest of the 230V sockets when needed (via a DPCO relay), so I needed a way of running the AC from the mains inlet, but separate from the existing supply. I wired it in via an additional RCD unit, which also serves the permanently connected battery charger.

post-5223-0-90725100-1492892233_thumb.jpg

The inverter is designed only to be used while driving, and wiring as the manual will only allow air circulation (no cooling) without a charge signal from the alternator. However I wanted the option of using it for half an hour or so while stationary (say i we go into a supermarket and leave the dog in the van), so I've wired it from a dashboard switch:

post-5223-0-65718000-1492894497_thumb.jpg

It will still cut out if the leisure batteries drop below a certain voltage, but just gives a bit more flexibility. I've managed to squeeze all the leisure batteries in under the other seat, but need to do a bit of rewiring (work in progress!)

post-5223-0-44064800-1492894205_thumb.jpg

Still need to cut a hole in the floor and tidy up the woodwork, but no rush - it's nice just to chip away at the task for an hour or two without any time  pressures.

I'd love to build my own camper van. Then I look at this sort of stuff and realise I'd be hopelessly out of my depth...

Much of what I've done is simply because I enjoy that kind of thing - it can be a lot simpler!

Much of what I've done is simply because I enjoy that kind of thing - it can be a lot simpler!

I've run into the exact same issue doing my camper. It's become over-engineered and too "perfect" instead of just functional. It's also way way way over budget!

It isn't as easy as you first think, that's for sure.

Doing my brothers Luton van was a massive task and gave many problems we never thought about before.

He's still in Portugal with it now living the dream.

I just have a caravan now or throw a mattress in the van if it's just a one nighter.

To mount the subwoofer I needed to modify the shape of the seat base slightly.

post-5223-0-55359800-1493671168_thumb.jpg

Which I then clad with a thin sheet of plywood - the original was looking very tatty anyway as it was taken from the donor caravan.

post-5223-0-97941900-1493671233_thumb.jpg

Next job was fitting the switches. Not 100% happy with the job as the ply started to delaminate slightly where it was cut. Still better than it looked previously though!

post-5223-0-09222000-1493671374_thumb.jpg

Then as the weather was nice we chucked the bikes in the van and went out for a ride; when we got back it was still sunny and the engine was warm, so ideal for a service. It's so much more pleasant laying in the dust rather than the mud to change the oil...

Giant oil filter but tiny V belt!

post-5223-0-94136000-1493671310_thumb.jpg

I did notice a bit of play in the alternator bearings though, so another job there. Plus the MOT is due so that may throw up something.

I only got round to changing the fuel filter this weekend, but that's now on and happily 18 months on the head is still looking shiny and oil tight!

post-5223-0-06433500-1494190967_thumb.jpg

I managed to squeeze the amplifier in below the third leisure battery, but had to build a wooden platform for it to sit on. I've also added a second fuse in the main cable between the starter and leisure batteries, as it struck me that a single fuse at one end is no use in the event of a short...

post-5223-0-80696900-1494190661_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-13149500-1494190267_thumb.jpg

I then *carefully* marked out the holes in the floor for the AC unit, and cut them out with a little nervousness!

post-5223-0-62446300-1494190477_thumb.jpg

I then painted the edges and sealed both the metal and plywood with Sikaflex. Time to check whether I've measured correctly:

post-5223-0-63832100-1494190409_thumb.jpg

Success! I ran it a little today and it's chucking out a reasonable amount of cold air, so I think it should do the trick :-) It takes a few minutes to blow cold, so not as instant as an engine driven system. But that's liveable with - it's well enough insulated that it takes a while to heat up anyway.

• Like 6

MOT day today! And all went well with no advisories :-)

post-5223-0-89271800-1494452836_thumb.jpg

It's only failed twice in 10 years, but I never stop being a little bit nervous!

• 3 weeks later...

To permanently mount the AC unit I needed to enlarge the seat base to accommodate it. So I built up the framework with 1" square wood, and glued on 3mm ply with Sikaflex. This seems to give a surprisingly rigid structure, yet still weighs relatively little. The front section I've had to screw on, as it needs to be removable to change the filter.

post-5223-0-10891200-1495833218_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look too bad from a distance:

post-5223-0-63875300-1495833304_thumb.jpg

I've got one outlet there, another by the sleeping area, and the third temporarily* mounted into the cab:

post-5223-0-69356700-1495833378_thumb.jpg

We had the day off from work today and was absolutely roasting! I spent some time in the morning splitting logs but then decided to head for the beach :-)

post-5223-0-67432900-1495833124_thumb.jpg

It worked pretty well, although not as powerful as an engine-driven system I don't think. Mind you, it's got a much larger volume to cool than a car! It took about 15 minutes for the temperature to drop significantly, but once there it was able to maintain a comfortable temperature with the windows closed, even whilst stationary in BH traffic.

Had a minor issue with the condensate drain, which was dribbling into the van and dripping out of the side door, as alerted by a passing pedestrian! Now sorted and draining properly.

I did notice a bit of play in the alternator bearings though, so another job there.

Fortunately after a bit of Google image searching I managed to find the right bearing sizes for the alternator, so I could purchase some before I took it apart. 6201 2RS, and 6303 2RS for future reference; both C3 clearance. £8 delivered, which I didn't think was a bad price. Fitting was a fairly simple job, apart from the fact it had been put together without a woodruff key so stopping it rotating while I undid the pulley nut was a nightmare!

post-5223-0-99233600-1495913321_thumb.jpg

The alternator was suspiciously cheap on eBay several years ago - supposedly brand new but I saw marks internally suggesting it had been apart at least once before. Ironically I bought a new one for reliability, but so far I've replaced the brushes, then the voltage regulator a year later, and this time the bearings. Maybe not such a wise buy!

I replaced the cool air ducting as well as that was a little fragile. Not seen this on any other vehicle but I guess it helps extend the lifetime, sitting in a hot engine bay.

post-5223-0-04027500-1495914349_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Fortunately after a bit of Google image searching I managed to find the right bearing sizes for the alternator, so I could purchase some before I took it apart. 6201 2RS, and 6303 2RS for future reference; both C3 clearance. £8 delivered, which I didn't think was a bad price. Fitting was a fairly simple job, apart from the fact it had been put together without a woodruff key so stopping it rotating while I undid the pulley nut was a nightmare!

attachicon.gif20170521_181637.jpg

The alternator was suspiciously cheap on eBay several years ago - supposedly brand new but I saw marks internally suggesting it had been apart at least once before. Ironically I bought a new one for reliability, but so far I've replaced the brushes, then the voltage regulator a year later, and this time the bearings. Maybe not such a wise buy!

I replaced the cool air ducting as well as that was a little fragile. Not seen this on any other vehicle but I guess it helps extend the lifetime, sitting in a hot engine bay.

attachicon.gif20170527_110239.jpg

Make sure the fan on the alternator is sucking the cool air from the rear (ducted air inlet) through to the front fan. Easy to inadvertently get a new alternator with normal fan that just pushes hot air from the engine bay through from front to rear resulting in lower charge voltage as the voltage regulator compensates for the temperature and ultimately cooked alternator due to heat.

That's a very good point, as that could explain why things are failing before they should! I must admit I just assumed that airflow was always the same direction, and I didn't compare the fan on the original one to see if it was different. I will check and see whether there is any flow out the end of the duct.

• 1 month later...

We've made it across the channel ok, and are now around 800 miles into the trip. After leaving Wales in cool, grey weather it's just got hotter and hotter! Saw 33 degrees C at 1030 this morning, and forecast to peak at 39. AC still working, but only just coping - struggles to actually bring down the temperature if in full sun. But it's definitely cooler inside than out!

Living the dream...

post-5223-0-61324100-1499346677_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly we're back home now, but no problems after 2300 miles. A few more photos:

post-5223-0-14748200-1501362109_thumb.jpg

Progress over the mountain roads wasn't exactly speedy, but not the slowest thing on the road!

post-5223-0-20318100-1501362264_thumb.jpg

Bridge designed by Mr Eiffel.

post-5223-0-47043500-1501362368_thumb.jpg

VERY tidy Renault 6.

Annoyingly, today I had my door mirror smashed by an oncoming van.

post-5223-0-10710500-1501361514_thumb.jpg

There seemed to be plenty of space (certainly we were both on our respective sides of the road) so I can only assume he swerved at the last minute. I may have been more annoyed had I not had a spare, which is now fitted :-)

I've also painted the wheels white - mainly out of curiosity as to how it would look. I reckon it looks better, as the colour matches the top half of the van.

post-5223-0-51322300-1501361616_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed a noisy front wheel bearing last weekend, so I need to change that. I phoned up the factors and two sizes are listed for it, so I thought I'd strip it down and take in the old one for comparison.

post-5223-0-29064100-1502660034_thumb.jpg

Today's other task was to (finally!) change the gear linkage bushes - I'd been meaning to do this since I bought the bushes about 5 years ago! There is a shaft running across the front of the van and another longer shaft linked to this which runs down the length of the van under the passenger seat. Each shaft has 2 bushes which allow both sliding and rotational movement.

Most of the wear was acually in the balls between the two shafts, and where the linkage joins the gearbox but I thought I'd replace everything while it was apart.

Old bush and ball:

post-5223-0-77616500-1502660102_thumb.jpg

And new!

post-5223-0-55059700-1502660190_thumb.jpg

All back together now and the change is *much* improved :-)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Both front wheel bearings are now changed, and nice and quiet now.

post-5223-0-20901200-1503435496_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-79446700-1503435577_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-23801400-1503435420_thumb.jpg

It is a generally nice vehicle to work on - being a van things tend to be a bit bigger and less delicate. Plus I've had no fixings which had rusted up, in all the jobs I've done so far. A nice touch on the front hubs were machined cut-outs to let you get a drift behind the bearing races, to help remove them. Something from the old days of German quality, which I'm not sure is universally true nowadays...

Hopefully we'll get away in it at the weekend :-)

Glad she's being used properly - great write ups too - I've pointed a spanish mate to this as we regularly borrow his LT high top for going kayaking and kite surfing..... my 7yr old loves it and is on my back to 'acquire' a camper pronto!

Thanks for the excellent write ups - Inaki (spanish friend) now has no excuse to put off the squeaking gear change resolution or interior upgrades he's always banging on about.

Best of luck with her

You're right about the build quality, Mat - I found my LT really nice to work on when I changed the front springs.

I bet your gearchange is great now, with those new balls... I never got round to doing mine before I sold it.

Yeah, the play is hugely magnified with the length of the linkage and lever. Pretty slick now! The job was a lot easier than I'd read too; I'm sure someone spent a weekend on it as he found he couldn't get some of the gears after reassembly. But so long as you mark everything before taking it apart, I can't see how you could go wrong.

We had a few nights away in it this weekend, and found a really great spot. Middle of nowhere, right next to a river and best of all, nobody else around. It was a short distance along a track from the main road, and shortly after we got there the landowner came past. I went over to speak to him, to make sure he was OK with us staying there. He was fine with it, just saying to make sure we kept our dog on the lead...although he did threaten to come back for breakfast at 0530 the next morning!

post-5223-0-51452600-1503925226_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-96073300-1503925310_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I camped in this after the works Christmas party, as it's around 40 miles from home so too costly for a taxi. Very cosy and warm, especially after I left the electric blanket on overnight! On the way back I was a bit despondent as not one but two problems revealed themselves - first of all the power steering kept dropping out under high loads on the pump, and secondly I seemed to have developed a coolant leak. The main annoyance was the fact that something had failed without warning,casting doubts over reliability and also my ability to check things over during a service - I hadn't spotted anything of concern during the yearly checkover.

Today I had a proper look at it, and it could be that both problems are related! One of the coolant hoses has become unclipped, and has been nicked by the power steering pump pulley :oops: All I can think it that I've dislodged the hose whilst changing the gear linkage bushes, as it's in that general area, but I've not had cause to move it.

Potentially a cheap repair, and my fault rather than the vehicle's!

boratgs.jpg

After spending half an hour lying in the mud under the van, with coolant dripping into my nose and eyes (goggles just steamed up), I've spliced a joiner section into the pipe. No more drips, and power steering has returned :-D

I'll probably take it for a longer trip tonight, to civilisation so we can watch some NYE fireworks - that way I can be certain the water level isn't dropping slowly from another leak somewhere...