Rover p6- classic shite progress. or not. anyone want it?

oman5

That's interesting in so far that the 2200 is in fact the nicest one to drive of the bunch, and especially the TC offers similar performance as the V8 at a much saner petrol consumption. The latter is relatively speaking, since all P6es need a lot less than what is usually told in pubs.

The example on offer is indeed coloured for maximum atrocity, it's white of all things rotten, which is an even bigger crying shame considering the car originally was Atlantis.

That's the thing. By all accounts, they're just as thirsty as the V8 but with no aural benefits. Pretty much as quick though...

I had a V8 3500, it did 20mpg most of the time, 26mpg on a run. I had a 2000SC. It did 22mpg most of the time and not much better on a run. Ok, so I was thrashing the 2000 to try and get it to move (it handled so well) but I was pretty appalled!

Here's my old 3500. Glorious Tobacco Leaf - the king of colours.

DSC02826.jpg

It was lovely. I paid two grand for it (got massively ripped off by a dodgy dealer!), spent £1400 getting the sills turned back into metal, then sold it for £1700. PHAIL! I worked in IT support at the time, and would occasionally use to burble between the various sites I looked after. Wonderful machine. Scary to think that it's getting on for ten years since I bought it (think that photo was taken in 2004, the year in which I finally cut my losses and sold it).

This was my first one:

Rover29.jpg

Was converted to 5-speed. Good car indeed, very solid, but I couldn't live with the shifting business, so sold it and bought me the rotbox with automatic I have now.

This is the weldathon I did on my current one:

pic001.jpg

pic002.jpg

pic003.jpg

pic004.jpg

pic005.jpg

pic006.jpg

pic007.jpg

pic008.jpg

pic009.jpg

pic010.jpg

pic011.jpg

This is the 37000 kilometer (!) original of a friend in Austria. Ex-British-Leyland-Austria director's car, it has been pampered all its life and is still in practically new condition:

SANY1146.jpg

SANY1159.jpg

Those are only temporary tags he used to pick the car up.

This is the car of a friend of mine in Oireland, loike. 1 of 47 platinum silver VIPs ever built:

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

And finally, this is the car for sale:

photo01.jpg

photo02.jpg

Funny, since Almond is 'the colour whose name must not be mentioned' in the club.

I rather agree with you, I think it's great.

HA! yes I picked up on that on that classic rover forum. at the end of the day it's a p6 with a solid shell, the colour is not a concern to me. (unless its pink with "powered by fairy dust" stickers on the back window, obviously)

I think there was a fuel capacity difference, but the main difference is that the V8 has the battery in the boot too.

Fuel capacity has nothing to do with it. Where the tank is located makes no difference to boot space no matter which size the tank is.

The boot is indeed a bit undersized and has an awkward geometry. Placing the battery there didn't help matters.

The spare wheel is located upright to the left where the boot floor is still low, thus blocking all the space that would be available to the left of it.

To just lay it flat on the floor actually frees up so much volume, that the boot lid mount is indeed a tad over the top.

I know that what I just wrote makes no sense to anyone not familiar with the P6, because the boot is as raving bonkers as the rest of the car.

I will make some photos tomorrow and you'll understand.

Of Rover P6 Boots

1. Boot with spare wheel stored the 'normal' way:

pic014-1.jpg

Wheel is taking up comparatively much space, and the space to the left of it can only be used for very small stuff, or not at all. At the far right you can see the cover for the battery (note: early 4-cylinder cars don't have the battery in the boot). The cover is made from some sort of glassfibre and has rather bakelitish properties. To store anything substantial on top of it will potentially break it.

Also consider that I'm using the spare wheel of a 4 cylinder car, which is approx. 1" narrower than that of a V8.

2. Spare wheel lying flat:

pic015-1.jpg

Note the recess in the bulkhead to enable you to do so. Now the space is slightly more useable, but the boot is naturally shallower altogether.

The disadvantage is that you would have to throw all your luggage onto a soggy verge in the pouring rain in case of a puncture.

3. Spare wheel on bootlid:

pic016-1.jpg

Of course this gives you the biggest usable space, compare with 1. However, if not carefully packed, the spare wheel holder will rip your bag to bits. Also, note red prop rod to the left, which is part of the 'touring package' and can be 'activated' in case you decide to carry the spare wheel on the bootlid.

The petrol tank is ahead of the black cardboard. There is no difference in its position on 4 and 8 cylinder cars.

Conclusion:

Rover P6 owners use duffle bags rather than Globe-Trotters for their luggage.

This is what happened ot GAA 12 K after I sold it:

09.jpg

08.jpg

07.jpg

06.jpg

05.jpg

04.jpg

03.jpg

02.jpg

01.jpg

The chap who restored it told me no welding was done to the car ever, and he didn't have to do any either - it is exceptionally solid. So swapping a totally rust free tax exempt 3500S for a rusty late model automatic should finally get me into the circle of Autoshiters.

My current car yesterday, receiving most of its new interior:

pic017-1.jpg

pic018-1.jpg

pic019-1.jpg

Took it to a local show today and was delighted. The remarks ranged from 'raving bonkers' to 'oy, groovy'.

So it was the right decision, yay!