Jump to content

Autoshite detailing thread


Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm taking my car in to a garage tomorrow morning for a brake check (some nasty chemical smells and smoke coming from the nearside wheel :shock: ). As I am such a considerate* person, I gave my car a jolly good clean so the mechanics don't get too mucky on account of my dirty car.

 

I ran out of Morrisons Car Wash and when I refilled the bucket of warm water to clean the alloys (a right pain to clean properly), I used some washing up liquid. I understand that washing up liquid shouldn't be used in hand washing cars but it seem to do a better job of shifting the dirt than the crappy Morrisons Car Wash & Wax.

 

Is it wise to carry on using washing up liquid or should I use some Turtle Wax next time?

Posted

it's my understanding that washing up liquid is bad news when it comes to paintwork, but as far as wheels are concerned, as long as you don't use it every time it won't do a lot of harm.

If you think about it, w. up liquid is formulated to dissolve grease, and invariably, front wheels at least, are mainly stained with a cruddy brake-dust based oily crud.

I have been known to use Cillit Bang grease remover, of grime and lime, but again, it's probably not a good idea long term.

Obviously if your wheels are pitted to buggery anyway, it won't matter a toss.

Posted

I think there's salt in washing up liquid, so bathing metal parts in it shouldn't be encouraged. However as long as you rinse it off well I reckon you'll be alright.

 

I've used Cillit Bang or something on wheels, it's very effective.

Posted

Thanks chaps.

 

I'll buy some Turtle Wax next time - and some wheel cleaner too. :)

Posted

Even turtle wax is pretty shit! Go to halfrauds, hope there's a 342 on, and get:

 

Autoglym shampoo

Autoglym super resin polish

Autoglym HD wax

Clay bar

Some microfibres

 

Then revel in a clean car

Posted

elbow-grease-all-purpose-degreaser.jpg

 

Pound shop stuff. GR32 for cleanin alloyz.

 

I got Wolfrace stuff which was about 9 quid for the same amount. It wasn't as good, and the smell near knocked me on my ass.

Posted

Turtle wax car shampoo is the wedding vegetables and it lasts for ages.

 

On the body I use Autoglym SRP and finish with Autoglym high gloss wax. I use Autoglym SRP on the wheels too, with some elbow grease, then use 3 coats if Poorboys Wheel Sealant. I promise you if you apply the latter you won't ever have hard-to-clean wheels again.

Posted

Agreed on the pub wheel sealant, lasts forever too. If you wanna push the boat out then poor boys trim restorer is ruddy good as well! Then you have the cleansers, glazes, glass cleaners, glass polishes, rubber treatment etc.

  • 12 years later...
Posted

Holy... Etc

Question for two bucket wrong'uns: is there a cheaper alternative to this? I've used it, like it, but it's £28 and you don't get a lot in the bottle. 

Lots of Chinese copy stuff about but I'd be interested if anyone's used something cheaper and is happy with it. No wax recommendations please, this stuff is so much easier! 

Screenshot_20250715_211223_eBay.jpg

  • 10 months later...
Posted
Assuming it's more the done thing to resurrect a dormant thread than to start a new one... I'd like to sheepishly admit an interest in learning how to properly clean a car. Advice, resources, mockery etc all welcome!
 
Basic bits I'd like to know - avoiding doing damage by mistake (I gather that's where the second bucket comes in) and preserving, especially rubbery bits where replacements aren't available.
 
 
Posted

It is true that most washing up liquid is bulked out with salt, but you are going to rinse it off anyway.

An old boy who I knew in the trade only used Fairy Liquid, which he used on his own show cars too.  Then again, he used brick acid on alloys, which I thought was a step too far!

  • Haha 1
Posted

I would say avoid Chemical Guys. It seems very overpriced and I’ve never been wowed by it. 
 

I really like Autobrite stuff but I think there has been some drama there.

You can’t go wrong with Autoglym especially when it’s on offer 

gtechnic g6 perfect glass is hands down the best product I have ever used for cleaning car windows 

  • Thanks 1
Posted

In general, if starting out you will not go wrong with either Autoglym or Bilt Hamber (UK based).

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Hi, my name is Grogee and these are my detailing tips. 

If you look very closely you can see some clumps of moss have fallen off my house roof onto the roof of my Maestro. 20260519_192321.jpg.a064e980a7ed75f6ce8ac82ca7377d7a.jpg

My top tip for cleaning this is to drive the car fast enough that the moss gets blown off. 

I'll be back with more top detailing tips soon, so stay tuned! 

20260519_192314.jpg

20260519_192326.jpg

Posted
On 18/05/2026 at 10:25, WhatsGotWheels said:
Basic bits I'd like to know - avoiding doing damage by mistake (I gather that's where the second bucket comes in) and preserving, especially rubbery bits where replacements aren't available.
 
 

Personally I find a pressure washer and a snow foam gun are great to get rid of most dust and dirt before any kind of contact wash which prevents a lot of swirls and scratches.

After washing some kind of spray on/ rinse off sealant will keep things looking shiny and a decent thick drying towel will stop watermarks.

Bilt hamber stuff is good, EZ car care stuff is ok and cheap (always have 'sales' on)... Many other brands are available.

For rubber seals gummi phlege is excellent.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

I've been using CarPlan No.1 Super Gloss as a quick final stage spray sealant. It's not too pricey, quite widely available and keeps the rain beading for quite a while afterwards.

You have to make sure you buff it off completely though... if you leave any droplets of it behind, once they're dry, there's no shifting them. 

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Thanks all, that's really helpful and I've got a good idea of how to proceed and what to avoid. Now to apply (both knowledge and products)...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...