O/T - What the heck is this?

barrett

I'm hoping the AS collective knowledge can help me out here... What is this little bugger? It's either a cufflink or a buttonhole thingy, I did at first assume it was the Simca bird but, whilst similar, it's facing the wrong way and is the wrong colour. So I'm now going with some sort of Airline from the 50s/60s. Annoyingly a quick google search of vintage airline logos shows that 99% of them used some form of stylised bird emblem! This one looks incredibly familiar though so hopefully it's a really well known firm that I'm just blanking out of my memory

Would like to know just in case it's worth loadsamoney to a 'plane nerd somewhere, in which case it'll be going on ebay. If not I'll affix it to a jacket and wear the bastard myself. cheers!

DSCN3463.jpg

DSCN3465.jpg

Good work lads. I will try and find an appropriate lapel to stick it in and wear it to SHITEFEST where you can all compliment me on how good it looks

While we're on this (off) topic, who knows owt about this?

DSCN3467.jpg

Small glass liquor bottle with a two-part cap in bakelite. I'm guessing 1930s-50s from the material and design. Was my late grandma's which suggests it may have contained brandy originally... the bottle design is pretty distinctive so maybe somebody will recognise it?

Sorry about that anyway, if I was a member of BottleShite.com I'd have stuck it up there. I'll try and do an actual car-related thread as penance for this.

Can't help with an answer to the bottle problem, but you're probably the very last person who needs to post a car related thread to make amends for this one.

You sure its a liquor bottle?

It looks a bit too decorative for that. I was thinking perfume, toilet water or some such.

There's a bottle fair held yearly about 5 miles from where I grew up. My dad (an antiques dealer) moans that the internet has ruined such things*. Through googling that I've found a bottle fair calendar

http://www.abc-ukmag.co.uk/showsspage.htm

And the bottleshite forum

http://bottledigging.org.uk/Topic63408-3-1.aspx

Good luck.

*To be fair, if he had nothing to moan about he'd start moaning that he had nothing to moan about.

The two-piece cap does imply some kind of booze-related use. It's probably a variation on the hip flask, designed to be carried in a lady's handbag until such time as she fancies a little nip and there's no bar, butler or gentleman available to attend to her needs. Brandy is a likely candidate, but obviously personal preference will dictate what actually went in there.