ZAZ Tavria

SambaS

I think well-known Eastern Bloc car buff Julian Nowill had one but I believe I read somewhere that he has moved it on. So there's at least one somewhere. I understand these are spectacularly shite, a kind of down-market Lada. This of course would make one irresistable, so if one ever turns up you'll have to beat me off to get to it!! :lol:

There was one in the background of the Top gear 'Did Communism ever make a good car?' item a few years back, so I guess there must be at least one in the hands of an enthusiast here.

Go here, click on ZAZ and scroll down to recent models:

http://www.autosoviet.altervista.org/main-english.htm

Apparently still made in Korea?!! :?

I think well-known Eastern Bloc car buff Julian Nowill had one but I believe I read somewhere that he has moved it on. So there's at least one somewhere. I understand these are spectacularly shite, a kind of down-market Lada. This of course would make one irresistable, so if one ever turns up you'll have to beat me off to get to it!! :lol:

Somebody give the man a hand here :twisted:

My Soviet Car book has a piece about one that was shipped to Bridlington by the UK Lada importer in 1992 or 3 to assess its suitability for the UK market. For a reason I can't now remember, it was decided not to proceed with the venture, but the red example was registered on a k plate and almost definitely survives.

I actually drove one of the Tavrias that was imported - round the car park at Wythall, near Birmingham, where the Lada/Proton importer was based. This would have been around 1992-93. It was red, and K-reg sounds right. It was like a badly maintained Mk1 Fiesta - very heavy for an FWD car, with flimsy plastic and cardboard interior. However it would have become the UK's cheapest car - they were aiming for about £3,995. Suspect they would have struggled to make any money at that price.

Quite a few sold in Europe though - and there were saloon and estate versions of the Tavria as well. Got pix somewhere of all this.

However it would have become the UK's cheapest car - they were aiming for about £3,995. Suspect they would have struggled to make any money at that price.

It's unlikely that they would have stuggled to make money at all - cars are cheap as chips to build.

The Dacia Logan (a much better car than that Lada) was estimated to cost around US$1069 per car to build in Romania - that's under £700 in real money :wink:

It's unlikely that they would have stuggled to make money at all - cars are cheap as chips to build.

The Dacia Logan (a much better car than that Lada) was estimated to cost around US$1069 per car to build in Romania - that's under £700 in real money

Not as simple as that.

You'd have to factor in marketing costs, logistics, spares back-up and, worst of all for shite East European cars, warranty costs, which were a real killer for most East European brands when pitted against relatively relible Korean or Malaysian shite, derived in the main from reliable Japanese tat.

Different now with Dacia - it's based on reliable parts bin stuff from Renault/Nissan so is no less reliable than a Clio or a Micra.

But a 90s Tavria, built in Ukraine in the post-communist era was way short of even Russian Lada standards (remember, it wasn't a Lada!)

I saw a Dutch-registered newish-looking car badged as a Dacia Logan on the motorway today. Kind of estate car thingy with uneven sized doors on the back. Presumably this is the latest version and is imported to some countries in Europe??

That'll be a Dacia Logan MCV, some of which have asymetric split doors instead of a tailgate.

Not the latest version - it's been out for a few years.

Dacia has quite a range now - Logan, Logan MCV, Sandero and Duster, plus van and pick-up versions of the Logan. Latest model is a 7-seater MPV called the Dacia Lodgy.

RHD Sanderos and Dusters will be coming the the UK at the end of this year, but both are far too good to be interesting.

The surviving RHD Tavria is still in the Devonshire Avtofilth Collective. It's in fine fettle. They're really not that bad, appalling build quality aside. Borderline stylish.

Sam

tav1.jpg

tav2.jpg

Sam > would it be a big ask to find out exactly what you've got in your collection? :)

Yes.

ARO 242

Anadol A1

Austin Apache

Barkas B1000

Bedford VAL

Bond 875

Citroën Ami 6

DAF 33

Dacia 1310

Dacia Coupe

Dacia Shifter