Shite in Miniature II

Split_Pin

Some more mods to the moonraker SD1, formally a TP but now with reduced front and rear spoilers for the VDP look.

The black one has been stuck away in a drawer for years, I thought I would leave all the dust for that 'Barn/Garage find' look. In fact its officially a 'drawer find' its been sitting about for 11 or so years...But its now back on display and I plan to carefully clean and polish it up.

21704398878_e12d43f9ed_z.jpgRover SD1's by steve wilson, on Flickr

21901903061_ebb3daa688_z.jpgRover SD1's by steve wilson, on Flickr

21880329862_4230647a04_z.jpgRover SD1 by steve wilson, on Flickr

21892313545_ae7ac97b24_z.jpgDusty Rover SD1 VDP by steve wilson, on Flickr

Corgi Vanguards Iain.

I was thinking about trying to get some VDP wheels for the blue one, so im on the lookout for a tatty/cheap/unboxed version with these wheels....

A parcel was sent from the Lobster Estate.

001.jpg

Inside was interesting* information:

002.jpg

And interesting information:

003.jpg

There also was a box wrapped in cellophane:

004.jpg

Which was promptly deflorated:

005.jpg

Inside the box was a styrofoam block:

006.jpg

The styrofoam block was opened:

007.jpg

Can you guess yet what it is?

When you said It had been in a drawer for years I assumed that it would be too old for a Vanguard of that quality. I had forgotten just how long ago that they had started to make decent models, those sd1s are very nice.

A parcel was sent from the Lobster Estate.

Can you guess yet what it is?

Yes, I can  :mrgreen:

Sorry about the newspaper ;) we get through loads of newspaper. Its probably the best (and cheapest) packaging stuff about though!!

Ah come on Junkman, what is it? Looks a decent model coming in a box and backed like that..

Im going for something British and 70's in Crimson red..

Ah come on Junkman, what is it? Looks a decent model coming in a box and backed like that..

Im going for something British and 70's in Crimson red..

It's a piece of art.

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

It has strong OTTO overtones I must say.

The only criticisms: Wrong wheel covers and the medaillon on the bootlid is too small and in the wrong position.

• Like 8

That's nice. Could I ask who made it? Looks like OTTO?

Amazingly it's a Yat Ming.

That P6 is quite brain-meltingly gorgeous. If they ever bring out an 800 to go with it I'll buy both.

• Like 2

Picky bastard that I am  - why have they modelled that lovely P6 with those horrible number plates?   

because its a new model and legally they can only supply the new font on a model "registered" made after 2001

• Like 3

That P6 actually looks real. These 1/18s with sealed bodies are actually VALU given the level of detail on them. At £50 to £100 they must be tearing the high end die cast manufacturers a new ring piece right now are they not?

That P6 model is quite stunning. The detail on the front end is amazing and that interior is jaw droppingly accurate. I wouldn't complain about the modern numberplates because that's endemic on the real cars (easily fixed anyway), and the wheel trims might be wrong for a 3500 auto but they're so well modelled who could care?

If I was looking to find fault, the window frames let it down a bit. 

I love the fact that some of the "exotic" cars I recieved Christmas present models of years ago are teetering on the brink of shiteness today.

With that I bring you the R129 500SL, in two-tone green. Tasty.

post-4819-0-87237100-1444499436_thumb.jpg

post-4819-0-45468800-1444499462_thumb.jpg

post-4819-0-49761600-1444499490_thumb.jpg

As diecasts go the tooling is practically medieval, and some of the features are a bit 405-line resolution. But it does have aspects which are absolutely superb.

Presuming that's a Maisto and not a 1-24 Majorette example then I had that one in maroon in 1991. It was my first Maisto and was amazing compared to a Bburago. I always loved the wired engine bays. The shutlines are fist-sized in some places and too tight in others so can't be compared to a modern Minichamps but I think that there is something characterful about them. I love how they creak when you handle them and the spring suspension . I have older Maistos such as the C4 Corvette and newer ones such as the Chrysler 300c and Mercedes C class Coupe and they are all excellent mid range models. Better quality than a Motormax and more detailed than a Welly.

Actually... it's a 1:18 Revell! To be honest I never liked the Maisto one, it somehow looks a bit bulgy and overinflated, as did their BMW 8 series of the time. Maisto fed their German cars all the pies.

Don't know about that, I picked up a C class Maisto Mercedes the other day and it looks spot on. Revell were a cut above other makes of the time, I had a lovely silver Honda NSX and still have a Porsche 911 slant nose.

I've just had a holiday in America (specifically, New England).  How many model shops did I find?  Believe it or not, a grand total of one, and that was when I wasn't able to stop and investigate.  Has the internet killed them off?  I actually managed to return from the US with nothing for the collection, at all!

There were no model shops in Canada when I visited in '99 either. I got the impression that model cars just weren't popular over there. The only thing about eBay as it takes away the thrill of finding a model that you really like it didn't know you wanted. Facebook model car pages and Swapmeets serve that purpose and prices are low again.