Scrapyard G&R Harris (Renault 5 van for sale. Orange)

lisbon_road

Possibly one of the best car scrapyards around, near Emsworth.  Tidy, well organised and friendly.  Plenty of older cars there and the turnover does not seem to be excessively fast.

The Renault 5 van is a rare sight, and looked ok from a distance (please don't blame me if you drive 500 miles to see it and it isn't ok).  It is for sale though.  The Cavalier and its larger cousin caught my camera as did the yet larger Dennis Dart.

post-17775-0-80968100-1461999577_thumb.jpg

post-17775-0-02819800-1461999602_thumb.jpg

post-17775-0-39169200-1461999606_thumb.jpg

post-17775-0-84945000-1461999611_thumb.jpg

I have no idea.  I just put Renault five van as it looked Renault derived.  Whether it is branded as an 'Extra' I have no idea.  

Edit: I googled it.  Looks like it is, and they carried on making them for a good while after that '86 D plate.  There is even an image of an R reg one.  Can't remember ever seeing such a late one.  Presumably Renault 5 derived though.

• Like 2

Someone who rents a garage by mine has one,  it has a sort of flap for putting ladders through which is a nifty idea.

£395 looking at the front screen which doesn't seem that bad to me. It's mot ran out last year and it needed a bit of welding to get that but it's only done 64000 miles at the last mot.

post-3625-146200231557_thumb.jpg

My ex boss had a Renault extra van that cracked the head or block or something so he went to a scrappy to get an engine.

He came back with a complete van and we had that as a company hack for years and just kept topping up the other one.

Classy outfit.

• Like 6

Would be great to see it recommissioned. Can't be many as early as that in such good shape. Potential for a bit of old-skool-commercial scene-tax kicking in with a bit of polish and some 'retro' signwriting?

I remember test driving one of these back in the day - would have been 1991 when I was tempted to set up my own little painting/house clearance business. Liked it a lot but at the time I was a major Renault apologist so wouldn't have said anything bad about it.

Drove like a normal Renault 5 really, bit bouncy without a load but as I recall they stiffened up the rear suspension by using 5GT Turbo parts. If nothing else the rear suspension will probably be worth some coin to the Ali G brigade.

• Like 1

Emsworth and District buses bought a load of those Darts (J### GCD I think, ex Stagecoach South) and did them up in various locally heritage liveries, like Southdowns and their original Stagecoach one. Only recently been replaced with later Darts from Bournemouth I believe.

• 4 months later...

Had a look at that Extra but they wanted too much considering the rot. They ended up parting it out so we got some stuff off it for my R5! It is a great scrapyard though we always go down every month and see what they've got. I bought a Mk2 Jetta from them last year too!