Chrysler 180/2 Litre Parts Car

CrownJewels

Surely this has got to be saved!! What an unusual car to turn up in a scrapyard in 2011. Does it still have its engine whats the story?

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for HYP 57N are:

Date of Liability 01 02 2010

Date of First Registration 07 03 1975

Year of Manufacture 1975

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1981CC

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type Petrol

Export Marker Not Applicable

Vehicle Status Unlicensed

Vehicle Colour BRONZE

Vehicle Type Approval

This vehicle can be licensed at a DVLA Local Office without the V5C Registration Certificate

Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle

6 Months Rate £112.75

12 Months Rate £205.00

Its in Southampton at a friends place. It came in with no Engine or Gearbox. We were trying to work out the last time we had seen one but couldnt remember that far back!

Out of interest why would it have no engine? For what other motors would u want that lump for?

I'm fairly sure that I remember reading in a fairly recent issue of Practical Classics that these cars shared thier engines with mid engined Matra's. But after the Russian Skodas cock-up on another thread I figured that a bit of research would be required before posting.

So a great source of known truths was consulted :D According to Wiki the Bagheera used 1.3 and 1.5 litre engines from Simca and the Murena came with the 1.6 from the Solara or the 2.2 from the Tagora.

So that was a great deal of help :|

I'm sure its somewhere on here http://www.rootes-chrysler.co.uk/ but I'm off to bed :roll:

Ah that'll be it then, the 1.6 in the Murena was also used in the 1800 but not sold in the UK and the 2.2 was a development of the 2 litre. Right, this time I really am off to bed :mrgreen:

blatantly stolen From Wikipedia

Simca Type 180

The Type 180 is an automobile straight-4 engine produced in the 1970s. It was an OHC design.

1.6/1.8

These engines (1632/1812 cc) were used in the Chrysler 160/180, also sold under a multiplicity of other names.

The 1,981 cc Type 180 was most common. It was used in various Chrysler Europe and Simca models.

A 2.2-litre version was also built. It was used in the Talbot Tagora. Bore was 92.0 mm (3.6 in) and stroke was 81.5 mm (3.2 in) making a very oversquare design. This engine is sometimes confused with the 2165 cc Renault/Peugeot Douvrin engine, but the Simca 180 2.2-litre displaced 2155 cc. Later, this was also turbocharged, for the Citroën BX4TC and Peugeot 505 Turbo.

Applications:

* Chrysler 160/Chrysler-Simca 1609/Talbot-Simca 1609 (1.6-litre)

* Chrysler 160GT, 180/Chrysler-Simca 1610 (1.8-litre)

* Chrysler 2-litre/Chrysler-Simca 2-litre/Talbot-Simca 1610/Talbot 2-litre (2.0-litre)

* Chrysler Centura

* Citroën BX 4TC

* Matra Murena 2.2

* Peugeot 505 Turbo

* Talbot Tagora GLS

What the????

Wankipaedoa says:

"Citroën entered Group B rallying with the BX in 1986. The specially-designed rally BX was called the BX 4TC and bore little resemblance to the standard BX. It had a very long nose because the engine (a turbocharger fitted version of Chrysler Europe's Simca Type 180 engine) was mounted longitudinally unlike in the regular BX. Interestingly, the rally version of the BX still featured the unique hydropneumatic suspension. Because of the Group B regulations, 200 street versions of the 4TC also had to be built.

The 4TC was never very successful in World Rally Championship competition, its best result being 6th place in the 1986 Swedish Rally, and Citroën only participated in three Group B rallies before the Group B class was banned in late 1986, following the death of Henri Toivonen in his Lancia Delta S4 at the Tour de Corse Rally. Citroën was ashamed of the performance of its cars, and immediately recalled and scrapped as many examples as it could, making the BX 4TC road and race cars extremely rare and sought-after."

WOW. That's like the rally version of the Lancia Gamma Berlina, a recalled embarrassment of a car, doesn't get much more Autoshite than that.

That was well worth staying up til 3am for.

I want one.

Hey, last time i was in France I came out of a fuggin fabric shop with wor lass, and my misery was immediately lifted when a mint BX 4TC roared past down the main shopping street!!! You don't see that everyday!

Jeeeez I would literally have collapsed in a gibberring heap if that happened, muttering 'que'st que c'est?' incoherently.

I've never, ever heard of it. Looks part BX, part Piazza. With a bit of Lancia rally car thrown in

EDIT: Seems to be about 52 survivors: http://home.wanadoo.nl/prins2000/register.html

Jeeeez I would literally have collapsed in a gibberring heap if that happened, muttering 'que'st que c'est?' incoherently.

I've never, ever heard of it. Looks part BX, part Piazza. With a bit of Lancia rally car thrown in

EDIT: Seems to be about 52 survivors: http://home.wanadoo.nl/prins2000/register.html

They were an absolute disaster on the rally circuit. Massively overweight, underpowered,with no centre diff, and a lengthened nose. That doesn't stop me wanting one massively. The BX 4TC truly is the Autoshite Group B rally car of choice. :D

A road car sold in 2003 for around £25k at Bonhams.

Being in Southampton,I think it would cost almost as much to buy and trailer that to Crewe as it wouold for me to buy a runner across the channel and drive it home unfortunately, so i'm OUT.