Jump to content

Stationary engine shite


Recommended Posts

Posted

Just a wee update for those interested. On Sunday I picked up a stationary engine  from @dan95x. See the for sale section for the details.

So what have we got. It's an Amanco Hired Man. Going by the engine number in was made between 1916 and 1919. So around 110 years old.

When i got it off Dan it was sort of turning over but rusty all over. The valves were seized and everything needed freed off. 

I got home late Sunday and sprayed everything with Kroil penetrating oil. Didn't even try and get it out the van.

Next morning unloaded it and started working freeing everything off. Amazingly it all freed off except the exhaust valve as it appeared to be a bit bent. Wee tap with a hammer and all was ok. The inlet valve is opened with the suction of the piston going down. No cam on the inlet valve .Also noticed the the speed governor was missing. More of that later.

So how to get it running? I knew absolutely nothing about these engines so I have been binge watching YouTube videos to learn as much as I can.

First of all I stripped the carb down. Apparently it not a carb it called a mixing bowl. No jets, no float. The petrol just drips into a bowl and from there gets sucked into the combustion chamber and you regulate it with a needle screw. It has three inlet pipes.So had too work out which one was for the petrol. It's a duel fuel set up i discovered. You have to start it on petrol then once warm you swop it over to paraffin/kerosene. When running on paraffin it also has a water drip feed into the combustion chamber to keep it cool.

Once I had worked that out I connected a fuel pipe up and tried to start it. Nothing.So stripped the igniter down. It doesn't have a spark plug. It just has what looks like a heavy duty set of points within the combustion chamber. The return spring was a bit weak and the "points" didn't look to be returning right. So i fitted a spring out of a ball point pen and that seemed to help.

Tried again to start it. Nothing.

Stripped down the magneto, which I know absolutely nothing about. Cleaned up all contacts and connections and put it all back together.

Tried again to start it and it fired up for all of 30 seconds! 

Tried again to start it. Nothing. I think you have to have the fuel feed just right, the choke just right for it to start. So kept on trying with different setting. 

Eventually BANG and it started up. It got faster and faster as previously mentioned it didn't have a speed govener fitted.  I had it on a barrow to move it around and it was bouncing around on it reving it's heart out ( relatively speaking!) I managed to turn the fuel off just in time before it landed on the floor. All caught on video. I will try and upload it to youtube and add a link later

Not going to try and start it again till I have made up some sort of governor.

Watch this space.

 

 

 

Posted

..... Fuc#ed clutch.

I'm a *traditionalist 🤣

KoolAs 👍

🚙💨

Posted
1 hour ago, doug said:

Just a wee update for those interested. On Sunday I picked up a stationary engine  from @dan95x. See the for sale section for the details.

So what have we got. It's an Amanco Hired Man. Going by the engine number in was made between 1916 and 1919. So around 110 years old.

When i got it off Dan it was sort of turning over but rusty all over. The valves were seized and everything needed freed off. 

I got home late Sunday and sprayed everything with Kroil penetrating oil. Didn't even try and get it out the van.

Next morning unloaded it and started working freeing everything off. Amazingly it all freed off except the exhaust valve as it appeared to be a bit bent. Wee tap with a hammer and all was ok. The inlet valve is opened with the suction of the piston going down. No cam on the inlet valve .Also noticed the the speed governor was missing. More of that later........

It has very literally had more attention/seen more action the last 48 hours than in the last 50 or 60 years (dad met mum in the 70s, and said it had sat in the corner of the bodyshop at granddads garage all the time he knew it, until they moved it to where you picked it up from)

Im beyond chuffed you've had it @doug and not just because you brought me tunnocks wafers 😂

Posted

Aplogies for swearing but that S **** Co*** fella who is always Junk and disorderly has one of these on 26 Sept Fairford programme around 30 mins in so you dont have to subject yourself to his full inanity... i do pity his assistants.  seen on  iTVX

as posted prev on for sale and wanted.

  • Like 1
Posted

That's fantastic progress - nice one. Looking forward to the video!

Posted

The sense of panic when it just goes spit spit spit spit and starts getting feisty...

  • Haha 3
Posted
45 minutes ago, N Dentressangle said:

That's fantastic progress - nice one. Looking forward to the video!

Video above, hopefully. 

Posted
1 hour ago, doug said:

Video above, hopefully. 

Is that a sigh of relief at the end? 🤣

There would have been MUCH more swearing if I'd filmed that

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...