Jump to content

1987 Peugeot dealer directory


Recommended Posts

Posted

As we have quite a few dealer directory threads appearing recently, here's my contribution, hot off the scanner:

PeugeotdealerdirectoryDec19872.jpg.fc37133848322f3fdadf54c61e2b6fe4.jpg

PeugeotdealerdirectoryDec19873.jpg.a93df899243d68d90a9ca5be2605f010.jpg

PeugeotdealerdirectoryDec19874.jpg.0a394844e1d207feef22796748db33b9.jpg

PeugeotdealerdirectoryDec19875.jpg.340fdb6615177aaccd0d51790af78c7c.jpg

PeugeotdealerdirectoryDec19876.jpg.356804b2c33304c4c34fc1e33ac024be.jpg

  • Like 3
  • adw1977 changed the title to 1987 Peugeot dealer directory
Posted

Here's Hardie's in Newfield 

Screenshot_20260905-214803.png

  • Like 1
Posted

I remember Arundale in Bridlington, its now a Pets at Home. Jordans had a number of franchises at one time IIRC.

Posted

This was Brundle's in Kings Lynn; I was offered a job here in '87, turned it down as I didn't like whichever of the Brundle brothers was running it (I was working for some right fuckers at a Citroen dealer at the time so he must have been really bad).

Brundle.JPG.f358860720776a826ace37863b0e610a.JPG

Posted

I remember Cubbin and North about two minutes down the road from me - I used to go on brochure runs with my mate on our bikes and this was one of the places we used to go to. I got those Tin Tin brochures with the 2CV which I thought was fantastic:

Tintin - 4 Citroën 2CV advertising brochures - 1985 - auction online ...

Posted

Again I'll cover off Nottinghamshire briefly.

Carnell on Bath Lane - two big blocks of flats on there since about 2007. I've only ever known Peugeot at the large site on Oak Tree Lane under Evans Halshaw (yet again another Father_Markeh workplace for the last few years of his career) - it's recently moved into the old Nissan showroom off Southwell Road East as BYD took over the Oak Tree Lane unit - Southwell Road East site seems to have become a bit of a Stellantis mega-hub.

Carringtons on Mansfield Road is still there and still Peugeot, it became Willoughbys, then Robins and Day and is now Stellantis&You.

Nottingham Car Centre I can't place or find on OS maps, reckon it's the big Esso/Tesco petrol station now, possibly still there in about 2000?

V.Albon address puts it at the current N.P.Byrne garages not the scooter showroom opposite

John Harrisons of Lowdham is still physically there but lost its Peugeot franchise around lockdown time. Their website is currently down too.

Posted

Bengry Motors in Leominster was still a Peugeot (and Ford) dealer until recently from a different site on the edge of town. 

The seem to have switched to Mazda and MG now and are calling themselves Leominster Motors so probably count as gone!

https://www.leominstermotors.co.uk/mazda

As far as I can tell their old site was probably where Kwik fit is now but @AnthonyG would be the man to ask.

Budgen motors are still selling Peugeot from Featherbed lane in Shrewsbury.  We visit fairly often for warranty work that they take forever to get round to.

Posted (edited)

My ‘92 Pug 309GL (company car) was supplied by Warwick Wright in Chiswick. Never went there as I picked it up from the head office garage in Hitchin.  
 

607012825.530057.jpeg

Edited by Macscrooge
Photo added
Posted (edited)

Stout Brothers in Dundee and Abernyte.

I had an old 104 from them   

 My dad had several cars from them - starting in 1973 when they were a Rootes dealer. In the Peugeot era he had two 205, a 309 and three 405. All diesel.  Fun fact: they had a salesman whose surname was Ford…

607012474.645026.jpeg

Edited by Macscrooge
Photo added
Posted

Bengry Motors was a Peugeot dealer for many years, the showroom is now the petrol station’s shop and the workshops are now a Kwik Fit. They did sell Peugeot (and Ford for a short period) from a site on a business park to the south of town but just do Mazda now, didn’t know about MG. 

Watsons Motor Works was the only other dealer in Leominster, this was doing Ford until circa 10 years ago, when Ford moved to Bengry as above, but is now an independent specialising in nearly new Fords and their service and repair. 

Some other Gloucester/Hereford/Worcester ones - Clerkenleap in Worcester was where my mum got her new ‘A’ reg 305 estate, this was ‘83 when they were in a village named Kempsey before they moved to another site nearer the city in Broomhill, the dealership buildings may still be there as they was brand new circa 1985, but the name has long gone. However, the original site in Kempsey is back to being Peugeot again, under Startin owneship! 

RF Lerego in central Ross on Wye was replaced by an out of town site off one of the A40 roundabouts (where KFC is now) in the mid 90s, can’t remember if the name died out then. From a quick web search, it looks to have been doing Ssanyongs about 10 years ago, and is now an independent: https://seearoundbritain.com/venues/wye-valley-specialist-cars-ltd-ross-on-wye-herefordshire

Warners in Tewkesbury/Gloucester is still going, selling Citroens anyway.

 

  • Like 1
Posted

I'm impressed there used to be a Peugeot dealer next to the Grade I listed, 13th century Bristol Cathedral. Now offices.

Of the other ones around here, Windsor Garage in Bath is now a Tesco Express, Clevedon Garages is still there as a Mazda dealer or approved Ford repairer (depending on which side of the road they sold Peugeot from) and the CH Cowie site in Weston is used car sales and fish and chips.

Posted

The 505 estate my grandad bought new in 1984 (A431NKJ) was sold by Cascades of Dartford.

As a family, owning many Rootes and PSA tat over the years Cascades and Rochester Motors (Gravesend) were our usual places to get dealer-specific bits for the cars.

Rochester Motors (Gravesend) was also known as Roy Relf’s, the independent service station which shared the site.

  • Like 1
Posted

Worked at three of these; Hortons of Watford, Normans Conquest Slough and Grange Uxbridge latterly.  All three now sadly no longer with us.

Hortons moved to larger premises in Watford and then were bought out in 2000, the original St John's Road site briefly became a Fiat outlet and now a block of flats.  Normans Conquest of Slough turned into a used car supermarket and now appears to be a lorry park awaiting development no doubt.  Grange Uxbridge in Cowley Road were bought out by the Cornes group in 1998 but is now a Lidl.  

Sure I've posted these pics before but always nice to have an opportunity to do so again.  That 204 Cabriolet in the Grange photo was mine.  Never took any photos of Hortons unfortunately, but do have one of their very nice rear badges on my 405.

 

G75.jpg

N28.jpg

N27.jpg

  • Like 2
Posted

For a little while I worked for Tim Brinton Cars (Cambridge and Bury st Edmunds on that list)

Tim Brinton came across as a nice bloke, but like most bosses, he had a right hand man who was a prick to do his dirty work.

We were supposed to give a full on speech every time you answered the phone.

"Good (say morning or afternoon), Tim Brinton Cars (state branch name), (state franchise),(state department name), (say your name) speaking, How many I help you?" even though every call to the counter had already been through that speech at least once already.

I never bothered and would just say "Parts Department" (you must NOT call it "stores").

One time I answered and the voice said "This is TIM, who is speaking please?" Shit. I was the only one working there so I told him my name and he was as nice as pie and I answered whatever question he asked me and he said "Thanks very much."

Two days later I got a right bollocking from his director side kick.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...