Van derrived Cars

Marty

Does anyone know if Seat did a version of the Fiorino Van?

Posted Image

Only I have seen one of these with Seat badging driving round and its serioulsy giving me the horn, but as a Blingo owner I do like the pointlesness of all that space!

I'm not aware of there being a Seat version of the Uno based Fiorino van.Whilst Fiat did the 127 Fiorino, Seat made a version of a similar cube van based on the early MK 1 Panda. The Seat Panda Van, like the Seat Panda didn't make it to the UK. It did though in Marbella form, of which the van version was called Seat Terra. That was the only van they did until their version of the Caddy Van, the Inca.

The 'Seat Trans'

This was the version that was a direct MK1 Panda clone, before they had to do all the facelifts for legal reasons and it became Marbella/Terra

Posted Image

Marty here was where this topic was previously mentioned. Scroll down to the 2nd to last post.

Y'know until I visited Spain in 2001, when reading this sentence my mind would have conjured up Fiat Panda & Seat Marbella, but I found out there was actually a visually identical Seat equivalent MkI Panda with the metal grille simply called a Seat Panda which they obviously had before they developed the Marbella! I saw high cube van versions too which had the same body as the Seat Terra van but with the Panda front end as opposed to the Marbella front end. I suppose there wouldn't have been a Fiat Panda van like that because Fiat had the Fiorino which was near enough the same thing but based on first the 127 then the Uno. Seat never turned the Ibiza into a van as far as I know.......although saying that once they became a VW concern the Ibiza DID spawn a van called the Inca which was a clone of the Polo Caddy van! By then the Ibiza was on it's 2nd or 3rd generation & was over 10 yrs old. The only Fiat Panda van that existed AFAIK was just a filled in rear windows jobbie or it could be had with an ugly box extention on the back which looked real makeshift!

Cheers Regie, you are indeed a fount of all knowledge - I have no idea why I like this, but its got that sort of "reversed into a portaloo" look about it, I must say I prefer the Mk 1 Panda style grille. So did Seat get a canning off Fiat for blatantly riping off their design, or was it done under licence?

I think basically up until the 80s either Fiat owned Seat or had a proper agreement (I'm not sure which) with them to produce rebadged Fiats under license only for sale within Spain. Once the agreement ended and Seat wanted to export cars in their own right, they had to come up with their own designs or heavily modify them. Hence the Ibiza / Malaga came about & the heavily Panda influenced Marbella / Terra. This was the time when they brought out the Strada rip off the Ronda, and avoided a law suit by proving they weren't the same car & painting all the Seat parts yellow. I'm not sure whether a certain percentage had to be of their own parts or all of it. Still looked pretty damn similar though.I think the Ronda was their first solo effort but back in the 70s / early 80s in Spain, if you wanted a 127, a 124, a Panda or 131, it would be Seat 127, a Seat 124, a Seat Panda or a Seat 131. The Seat 1430 Sport was their take on a 128 3P. They called their final 127 (MkIII) the Fura, but it was still basically the same car.

Isn't it just a general promotion for the Seat brand? "Hey buy one of our passion wagons & start receiving BJs. Then you'll forget all about the shitter you're in!"There must be a lot of disappointed people out there who want their money back from Seat!

Haha! I just spat my tea all over my monitor! Sniffpetrol-style advertising for sure.

One of the best car adverts ever was in respect of the Seat Panda.

:shock: They were selling basically a Mk1 Panda up until 2002 (MG TF launch year) at least?
The vid was apparently done by a Spanish advertising student as part of their portfolio. Fckin Genius though 8) As Reg has said the legal problems arose when FIAT involvement ended and exports were then on the cards.The UK got the Marbella in 1987 and the car it was based on had died by March 86 and had spawned a replacement (Newer mechanicals and suspension and body changes) and it was in competition.....I have the MOTOR roadtest comparing the then new Marbella with the 18 month old MK2 Panda... They went for the Panda.Marbella was in the UK longer though as Fiat UK withdrew the Panda in 94. Beauty of this is I was able to replace the driver's door on my 85 Mk1 Panda with one from a 93 Marbella. Strip off all the plastic crap and it's the same underneath. And when you strip the Marbella door interior out everything inside is stamped Fiat :lol:

• 1 month later...

When I was in Germany last week I saw one of these which I never knew existed scooting along the autobahn.

It was identical to this down to the colour and the one in this pic has German plates too, quite a coincidence :shock:

Posted Image

This is just an "add-on" to a regular Fiat Panda and then using blanks to replace the windows.

I've seen a number of these conversions on other vehicles if I recall.

Posted Image

How Slow?

BLIMEY :shock:

The slowness wouldn't concern me, I doubt you would want to go fast in it, thinking of the body roll involved in a 2CV/Dyane.. How scary would that be to drive in a crosswind!!!!! :shock::shock::shock: