MX5 fixer upper - thinking about buying one to sell on.

Bradders59

This is 10 minutes away from me, and the ad has got me a bit excited. It needs ( a little ?) welding and a bit of attention to the brakes according to MOT fail sheet.

I can weld ( a bit) so not scared by that, as long as it doesnt turn out to be rotten as a pear, front to back.

Asking price is £450, but what Im clueless about is what it would realistically be worth with a fresh MOT ?

Probably need to spend not much money, but maybe a weekend of my time on it. It would be bought purely to fix up and sell on. Just depends what profit might be in it for me.

All opinions welcome, cheers.

Mazda, MX-5, Convertible, 1999, Manual, 1839 (cc), 2 doors | in Bures, Essex | Gumtree

Do not like, it's not the actual subframe:

Date tested
9 April 2024
FAIL
Mileage
126,488 miles
Test location
View test location

MOT test number
9257 2581 8474
Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Nearside Front Service brake excessively binding (1.2.1 (f))
  • Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength at subframe mounting (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Service brake efficiency below requirements (1.2.2 (a) (i))
  • Parking brake efficiency below requirements (1.4.2 (a) (i))
Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
  • Nearside Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
  • Offside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
  • front and rear suspension components rusty.
  •  

I know nothing much about MX5s but quite a bit about welding, and looking at a few pics online, that is probably going to be a horrid thing to repair.  You have to ask why the owner is selling it, if it is an easy fix.    Why not find something nice to do in your spare time?

I already have my own three cars plus my sons Civic to look after which more than occupies my spare time.

The only reason to buy this would be to fix it up, if not too much work / time is involved, and then sell it on to make a few quid.

I suppose the main question is - how many quid am I likely to make from it, once it has a fresh MOT.