1987 Ford Sierra Sapphire 1.8L - ICE ICE Baby - see page 36

Peter C

The Sierra is up in the air again.

474.JPG.93874c1c7982749e27264586c6783179.JPG

This time it's getting a new set of boots.

The existing tyres are a mix of more than half worn Good Years and half worn Kwik Fit's own brand.

475.JPG.ea90fd877ad7301ea02e6aeae1187a39.JPG

One of the Good Years has nasty cracking along the sidewall.

476.JPG.14d8cd402cfd41b67af952891da0980e.JPG

And, more worrying, a crack that extends the full circumference of the tyre, between the sidewall and the tread.

477.JPG.5499b840c58128f0ba8e90eab52312b7.JPG

I've gone for a set of budget 165/80 R 13 tyres.

The Sierra is unlikely to exceed the national speed limit, at least during my ownership and it will not be driven in the rain, so I didn't opt to spend as much again for fancy branded tyres. Whatever I will fit must surely be better than what I've removed.

More tomorrow.

• Peter C changed the title to 1987 Ford Sierra Sapphire 1.8L - Change of footwear- see page 26

A set of lovely new Rockblade tyres are now fitted to the Sierra.

I can't imagine that they are any better or worse than any other budget tyre.

478.jpg.7f8d07586e53514cc328805ff39faed9.jpg

They’ll be fine. In all honesty they’ll be better than the Uniroyals that were probably fitted from new. Tyre technology has come on considerably, even the cheapest shittest tyres today will be leagues ahead of the best tyres fitted when it was new. 

22 minutes ago, sierraman said:

They’ll be fine. In all honesty they’ll be better than the Uniroyals that were probably fitted from new. Tyre technology has come on considerably, even the cheapest shittest tyres today will be leagues ahead of the best tyres fitted when it was new. 

The two Kwik Fit Centaur something or other tyres that were on the Sierra were probably as bad as budget tyres can get whilst the other two Good Years were probably as old as the car itself. I couldn't find the date stamp on them, so they had to be old.

At £160 for all four tyres, fitted and balanced, they make perfect sense. One tyre for my wife's Hyundai Tucson costs £190 and she needs two!

26 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

who cares they just sound cool!

Rockblade Rock 515

Has Jimmy Cauty gone into the shit tyre business?

2 hours ago, Peter C said:

The two Kwik Fit Centaur something or other tyres that were on the Sierra were probably as bad as budget tyres can get whilst the other two Good Years were probably as old as the car itself. I couldn't find the date stamp on them, so they had to be old.

At £160 for all four tyres, fitted and balanced, they make perfect sense. One tyre for my wife's Hyundai Tucson costs £190 and she needs two!

Centaur… they must be 30 years old if they’re just a day. 

Definitely one for the absurd tyre name thread. 

Why name your product after the things that are most likely to wreck it?

I might see if they’ll sell me a pair of GlassFlint 3000s.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, timolloyd said:

I might see if they’ll sell me a pair of GlassFlint 3000s

currently out of stock, will sir be ok with a pair of screwnail 2500's?

‘We didn’t have any Michelins in so we’ve substituted them for some Spinmaster Pro 3000’s?’ 

15 hours ago, Peter C said:

A set of lovely new Rockblade tyres are now fitted to the Sierra.

I can't imagine that they are any better or worse than any other budget tyre.

478.jpg.7f8d07586e53514cc328805ff39faed9.jpg

In all seriousness though did they take a lot of balancing? The red dot should be aligned with the valve stem to minimise the amount of weight they need. 

9 minutes ago, Rod/b said:

In all seriousness though did they take a lot of balancing? The red dot should be aligned with the valve stem to minimise the amount of weight they need. 

When I collected the wheels from the tyre shop yesterday morning I was in between work appointments and in a bit of a hurry. I didn’t pay attention to the balance weights, I threw the wheels in the back of the Qashqai and disappeared into the distance.

When I got home, I stacked the wheels outside my workshop and noticed that a couple of wheels didn’t have any balance weights.

I will take the Sierra for a quick test drive up the M40 this afternoon and see if there’s any steering wheel wobble. If I’m lucky, the wheels didn’t need much balancing, otherwise I’m taking them back to be fixed.

Test drive completed.

No wobble whatsoever, the Sierra was only giving me good vibrations.

Looking good with a squirt of tyre shine.

IMG_6345.jpeg.ddcc1a708f3d9e7ae3585d6112979bb9.jpeg

I envy being able to source road oriented 165SR13 easily and cheaply. (Being new 4 years old and shit brand doesn't really matter, Pilot Sport compound in this size isn't going to help). It meant that unlike here youngtimer classics doesn't have to use 175/70R13 which way too small for anything other than the tiniest of subcompact. Only 165SR13 available here is utility type tyre.

54 minutes ago, Peter C said:

Test drive completed.

No wobble whatsoever, the Sierra was only giving me good vibrations.

Looking good with a squirt of tyre shine.

IMG_6345.jpeg.ddcc1a708f3d9e7ae3585d6112979bb9.jpeg

Looks very 1987 Photocopier salesman. Like it, in my minds eye he gets promoted in a few years to a Ghia or a Cavalier CDI. 

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

Looks very 1987 Photocopier salesman. Like it, in my minds eye he gets promoted in a few years to a Ghia or a Cavalier CDI. 

He would have to sell a lot of photocopiers to get such a promotion. I reckon that he should hope for a pay increase and an injected GLS first.

2 hours ago, Peter C said:

He would have to sell a lot of photocopiers to get such a promotion. I reckon that he should hope for a pay increase and an injected GLS first.

The next level up I’m guessing would be either a Granada 1.8 GL/Carlton 1.8 L or a Sierra GLS? 

18 hours ago, sierraman said:

The next level up I’m guessing would be either a Granada 1.8 GL/Carlton 1.8 L or a Sierra GLS? 

No Granada 1.8 GL in 1987, but any Granada would be quite a leap from a Sierra L.  Sierra trim levels were LX, GL, GLS, then a fair jump in price to a Ghia which was actually about the same money as a Granada GL.

Screenshot_20240407_102038_Flickr.jpg.613869ec4ce26106e25e43838e26a5b3.jpg

Sep 1987 brochure

51 minutes ago, adw1977 said:

No Granada 1.8 GL in 1987, but any Granada would be quite a leap from a Sierra L.  Sierra trim levels were LX, GL, GLS, then a fair jump in price to a Ghia which was actually about the same money as a Granada GL.

Screenshot_20240407_102038_Flickr.jpg.613869ec4ce26106e25e43838e26a5b3.jpg

Sep 1987 brochure

From what I remember the early Granada GL Mk3s didn't have a rev counter, though the Sierras did!

2 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

From what I remember the early Granada GL Mk3s didn't have a rev counter, though the Sierras did!

You remember correctly. 

Screenshot_20240407_112007_Flickr.jpg.56792cf9218748d6ffd78da7a34b8b8e.jpg

Screenshot_20240407_111913_Flickr.jpg.01b9faf753a6c5fa7c901628a9d7fa7e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Peter C said:

I’d say someone is getting ready for a road trip.

IMG_6414.jpeg.0817b2d49cf4064887fd311d31e3d28a.jpeg

Have you got any of those fancy photostat machines that can do duplex printing? 

Looks lovely!

26 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

Geek!

Love it.

• Agree 2

My dream has come true, I’ve driven the Sierra up the A413, heading north west. The only issue that I’ve noticed is an erratic fuel gauge. I know the tank is almost full but the needle keeps dropping to zero, then rises and drops again.

First destination reached. A Gulf petrol station in Whitchurch, located between Aylesbury and Buckingham. Before I bought my first Sierra from my then girlfriend’s dad, he let me borrow it for a very extended test drive and I remember putting fuel in the tank at this very station, which, remarkably, still exist today.

IMG_6417.jpeg.8dbbd78b10bfd69a72cc6df2c6638852.jpeg

I’m heading further up the A413 towards Buckingham. 31k miles will tick over shortly.

IMG_6419.jpeg.c29a589c523f911df83dfd0706920c82.jpeg

More very soon.

• Peter C changed the title to 1987 Ford Sierra Sapphire 1.8L - Road trip with LIVE updates - see page 26

I know a fairly common fault on Capris is that one of the voltage regulators goes faulty on the fuel gauge, which causes the wild variations displayed, it's a dash out job. If it's that it may be quicker and easier to keep the tank topped up!