1987 Ford Sierra Sapphire 1.8L - Shiting in Poland - see page 43

Peter C

I know you were disappointed initially, but it did turn out to be a surprisingly solid example and clearly is a genuine low miler. It has been enjoyable to see you steadily improve on it. I like your methodical approach. Great job.

11 hours ago, stuboy said:

did you ever find out the supplying dealer?

I wrote to the previous owner but he didn’t reply and there was nothing in the document pack (I’m not calling it a service history) to reveal anything about the Sierra’s early life, so no, I have no idea which dealer supplied it.

10 hours ago, sierraman said:

Out of interest is that a wooden garage? 

Nope.

Metal framed, with pre-finished profiled metal cladding, internally insulated and lined with plasterboard, all built on a reinforced solid concrete slab.

The double doors are timber as the sliding door that came with the garage was wank.

Another day off (Saturday), another day spent tinkering with the Sierra.

I had a look under the car and noted a patch of engine oil on the workshop floor.

375.JPG.bed4476ff29606e22ffd504d4c741700.JPG

The sump plug was leaking. When I drained the old engine oil a few weeks ago, I noted there wasn't a copper washer on the sump plug so I, foolishly, put the sump plug back in without fitting one.

Rather than draining all the engine oil, my wife kindly volunteered* to hold a rag against the drain plug whilst I quickly put a copper washer on the sump plug and screwed it back in place. I only lost a little engine oil in the process. Hopefully problem solved.

376.JPG.2e42fb2707a15efa6d8c756b8c15a11f.JPG

Next, I prepared and undersealed the front suspension components for that factory fresh look. I am pleased with the result.

377.JPG.d44db58d159b96583ce37db643bed4db.JPG

378.JPG.e394219759c5f357ae1bf6fa3beb4c95.JPG

I had lunch in the workshop. My arms and jumper were soaked with paraffin and I was not allowed to eat with the normal people in the house.

379.JPG.949c0762a619d504d4bc3827b2c9f3e0.JPG

The engine sump was filthy.

380.JPG.a7d88c4c0eff6122c26b2165487e7137.JPG

And corroded.

I lifted the sump up and away from the crossmember by jacking up the transmission.

381.JPG.8262fad6db14e5ef43198ab04fc90d7e.JPG

Access was adequate, I managed to scrape off the rusty bits and clean up the good coatings.

382.JPG.b3e519dbaa667246a13d3cee2d028124.JPG

I painted the rusty and exposed parts of the sump with a high temperature black gloss paint. Whilst there, I also gave the steering rack a scrub. Much better.

383.JPG.ca01bc8c5578d91540b5b5e0ea0e6417.JPG

Finally for today, I rubbed down the rusty areas under the bonnet and painted them with Rust Oleum paint. I will dab some blue aerosol paint over the patches tomorrow.

I also cleaned the old overspray from the two rubber seals. 

384.JPG.f039f33798d5687093b22eb061aac39b.JPG

The plan for tomorrow is to finish off the decoration work under the bonnet, get the car back on its wheels and push it out of the workshop, where I can see better and touch up a couple of little chips and marks that are difficult to spot indoors. 

With the Sierra outside, I will be giving my workshop a deep clean.

• Peter C changed the title to 1987 Ford Sierra Sapphire 1.8L - Ready for inspection - see page 20
2 minutes ago, Dan302 said:

Brilliant, the Sierra looks great I've really enjoyed this thread 🙂

Thank you.

This is just the end of a chapter, not the whole story.

I know it's not what it's about, but you are certain to have increased it's value. And more importantly it's longevity.

You've done a really good job of methodically improving and preserving this Sierra -  its been enjoyable to see what you have done.

On 23/03/2024 at 06:31, Peter C said:

I wrote to the previous owner but he didn’t reply and there was nothing in the document pack (I’m not calling it a service history) to reveal anything about the Sierra’s early life, so no, I have no idea which dealer supplied it.

Possibly this place if same town.

FB_IMG_1711264459967.jpg

14 minutes ago, stuboy said:

FB_IMG_1711264459967.jpg

Where is this?

Does the dealer still exist?

The dealer in the photo is Crouch's of Ashford. I'm fairly sure that they shut up shop in the late 2010s. The site of the garage is now flats.

If the car wasn't originally supplied by Crouch's, it could have come from Invicta Motors in Canterbury, Haynes of Maidstone, Doves Ford in Folkestone, Thompson's of Dover or at a pinch, Parkway in Deal or Malcolm Waite in Sandwich, the latter being a particularly shonky operation which somehow still trades today, having taken over the former in the 1990s.

If Ford did 'heritage' certificates, things would be so much easier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Shep Shepherd said:

The dealer in the photo is Crouch's of Ashford. I'm fairly sure that they shut up shop in the late 2010s. The site of the garage is now flats.

If the car wasn't originally supplied by Crouch's, it could have come from Invicta Motors in Canterbury, Doves Ford in Folkestone, Thompson's of Dover or at a pinch, Parkway in Deal or Malcolm Waite in Sandwich, the latter being a particularly shonky operation which somehow still trades today, having taken over the former in the 1990s.

If Ford did 'heritage' certificates, things would be so much easier.

The guy that I bought the Sierra from told me that it originates from the Ashford / Kent area but I have no idea how he could know that as there is nothing in the document pack that reveals any history, other than the address of the previous (fourth) owner, who was based down there.

Is there anyone at Ford that I could contact to find out anything about the dealer that sold the car?

Coming from east Kent myself, I can confirm that 'KP' is indeed a Kent registration (issued by the Maidstone DVLA local office), so the car was definitely supplied by a Kent Ford dealer ^^

I have no idea if Ford keep build records of their older models (it would be great if they did, but I don't think the company is really that bothered about its heritage, despite how it presents itself in its publicity and marketing), but emailing their head office with the car's VIN might bear fruit.

Which factory built it, by the way?

Built at Dagenham during Ford's 'rusty' period, it's done very well to have lasted as well as it has; most of the other Sierras it went down the line with would have been scrapped due to rampant rust by the late 1990s.

I Googled the words Ford Sierra Sapphire L and in images I found this pretty photo.

IMG_5683.jpeg.71e43ba37586fce0d88ae0f3efbfd546.jpeg

The comments that relate to the image made me laugh:

EDITORS COMMENTS
This print showcases the timeless elegance of a 1987 Ford Sierra Sapphire L. With its sleek profile and classic design, this automobile represents the epitome of style from the 1980s. The unknown creator perfectly captures the essence of this iconic vehicle, highlighting its retro charm and undeniable beauty. The monochromatic tones add a touch of nostalgia to the image, transporting us back to an era where cars were not just means of transport but symbols of status and sophistication. This photograph is a testament to the enduring allure of vintage automobiles that continue to captivate enthusiasts even in the modern age. Displayed at the National Motor Museum, this print pays homage to an important chapter in automotive history. It serves as a reminder that despite technological advancements, there will always be something enchanting about classic cars like the Ford Sierra Sapphire L. As we gaze upon this side profile shot, we can't help but appreciate every detail - from its smooth curves to its distinctive grille. The unknown photographer has skillfully captured both the power and grace exuded by this saloon car. Whether you're an avid car enthusiast or simply appreciate fine craftsmanship, this print is sure to evoke feelings of admiration for a bygone era when automobiles were more than just machines – they were works of art on wheels.

Well done, you have saved that for years to come.

Looks like a very presentable usable classic Ford which you can go out and enjoy.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Well I'm sold. Would you like to buy my car then sell it back to me when you've finished? Joking aside, it was obviously a sound albeit scruffy car but you've alevited it. Fair play for all the hard graft, it looks a treat. Just right!

4 hours ago, stuboy said:

FB_IMG_1711264459967.jpg

anyone else spot the pontiac on the right of the picture

4 hours ago, Peter C said:

Where is this?

Does the dealer still exist?

no sadly but id used to go in there with my dad..

1 hour ago, Peter C said:

I Googled the words Ford Sierra Sapphire L and in images I found this pretty photo.

IMG_5683.jpeg.71e43ba37586fce0d88ae0f3efbfd546.jpeg

The comments that relate to the image made me laugh:

EDITORS COMMENTS
This print showcases the timeless elegance of a 1987 Ford Sierra Sapphire L. With its sleek profile and classic design, this automobile represents the epitome of style from the 1980s. The unknown creator perfectly captures the essence of this iconic vehicle, highlighting its retro charm and undeniable beauty. The monochromatic tones add a touch of nostalgia to the image, transporting us back to an era where cars were not just means of transport but symbols of status and sophistication. This photograph is a testament to the enduring allure of vintage automobiles that continue to captivate enthusiasts even in the modern age. Displayed at the National Motor Museum, this print pays homage to an important chapter in automotive history. It serves as a reminder that despite technological advancements, there will always be something enchanting about classic cars like the Ford Sierra Sapphire L. As we gaze upon this side profile shot, we can't help but appreciate every detail - from its smooth curves to its distinctive grille. The unknown photographer has skillfully captured both the power and grace exuded by this saloon car. Whether you're an avid car enthusiast or simply appreciate fine craftsmanship, this print is sure to evoke feelings of admiration for a bygone era when automobiles were more than just machines – they were works of art on wheels.

Nice to see some AI generated crap proper* automotive journalism for a change :(